Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mailing a cutting, procedure & cost

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 16:05

I've never done this. I'm imagining a damp paper towel around the root end enclosed in a zip baggie would do. I'm picturing stapling it closed gently so the tip sticks out but paper towel stays damp inside. Then put in a small box with some rumpled newspaper so it doesn't bang around too much. Sound good? Bad? Please critique my thoughts.

This would be for spider plant babies and Tradescantia zebrina pieces rooted in water.

How much does it cost to mail something like this (if you've done it recently? I know they keep upping the costs at the PO.) Is the size of the box a very big factor or does it go more by weight?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mailing a cutting, procedure & cost

Hiya Purple,

I've done a lot of this using Priority Mail which (these days) goes by particular box size (rather than weight). I think they offer 3-5 sizes these days (& use the motto 'if it fits, it ships').

I'd suggest not enclosing it in a baggie, the air tightness is likely to cause rot (& no staples). Since it's a Spider, maybe just a moistened & then squeezed out towel wrapped around the roots only. Is it already a rooted cutting?

Same suggestion for Tradescantia (which if damaged in shipping, can just be re-cut & re-rooted on arrival).

Rumpled newspapers to cushion things is fine. I have also used a baggie w/ styrofoam peanuts to cushion them as well.

Am guessing (depending on the size of the cuttings) that all this could be put into a box about the size of a video cassette. Am guess-timating the cost to be about $5.

I've tried to answer everything, you've asked.

I've had good results w/ this using Priority (they'll offer you a service called confirmation of shipment, for a bit more money, which I usually decline, just asking that the recipient email me when the package has arrived).

o

Heres a link that might be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to ship live plants

o

Thanks for the replies! Still considering if I want to get involved with this or not. Appreciate the food for thought!

o

Be careful putting thing in plastic. The heat of some transportation carriers can ''steam'' (I don't know what else to call it.) the plants. I made the error myself just putting some plants in a plastic grocery bag unsealed and tossing it in the trunk of the car. One notorious vendor sent me some ''live'' plants, roots with soil, in a sealed container and they all died in transit.

o

Purple..You'd need to know weight and distance.

I recently shipped two, small boxes of cuttings.
The cost, per box, 3.25 w/o insurance. Priority Mail.

One box was sent to Fl, the second less than 2000 miles away. Toni

o

Thanks, guys.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here