Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peace Lily outdoors?

Posted by elaineal z8AL (My Page) on
Sun, May 26, 13 at 16:42

I live in S. Alabama and was wondering if Peace Lily will grow outside? The pot is getting so full they need to go somewhere. But I don't need eight pots of them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peace Lily outdoors?

Elaine, I live in S Alabama also and have had peace plants under my carport where they are in shade only. However, I found that our southerly wind can dry them out so quickly that they needed watering twice a day - not to mention being blown over! At present I have 6 pots (3 different kinds) all growing inside, with 1 pot ready to be divided. I think that growing them outside in our zone can be done but requires more attention.
Ellie

o

They can't handle freezing temperatures (if it freezes where you are) or direct sun (they'll burn). I don't know what miniumum temperature they can withstand though.

Planto

o

You could divide the excess, repot your plant in it's same pot, give the extras to family/friends/neighbors/co-workers. If nobody wants them, put them in the ground near the foundation and experiment if that sounds like fun.

o

I've seen them grown out in the garden in the sun, probably excess plants they didn't really know what to do with. They tend to look a bit shabby and the flowers (spathes) look a bit shabby as well. That was probably in a zone 10 garden.

o

IDK about peace lilies, but my parents have this lily that looks identical to a peace lily, identical white flowers, same leaves, has rhizome, only its 8 feet tall and 10 feet wide and we can't kill the damn thing! It sprouted up years ago as an unwanted weed, we've tried poisoning it, chopping it down to its roots, even dug up the entire plant and half its roots, came back as a sprout a week later. Deers hate it, gophers wont touch it, even the damn dog is scared of it. Of course I live in Northern California so im sure its a bit different over there in Southern Alabama. Hehe.

o

Hi
Don't see why you couldn't grow them over summer ?? When winter comes you could bring them indoors or replace them next spring. They have survived for me into the upper 20's but for short periods and no ground freezing. gary

o

Fifty=fifty five If it gets colder than that and you cant REALLLLLLY cover that lily then I'd say no. If that's not the case then as long as it's in shade and it's watering needs are met, go for it.
I live in northwestern Georgia and mine stay outside until it hits fifty-five. Seems to be the magic number.

o

ThatAdeniumGuy ,

Please tell me that you can provide a pic of the monster that no one could kill in spite of all efforts.

The thought of an eight foot indestructible PL makes my head spin(and I like that feeling LOL).

o

I have grown them outdoors but they need constant watering and protection from all bright sun. A concept people often fail to do when these plants are outside

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here