Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fancynancy86

Money Tree advice needed!

fancynancy86
9 years ago

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site, but am desperate to save my money tree! I repotted the plant recently (about 3 weeks ago) to a slightly larger pot as I felt it was busting out of the old one and looking sad. Now many of the bottom leaves have been turning yellow and falling off. I haven't changed watering (a small amount weeklyish as needed). However, with spring, the sun is getting stronger. The tree is in an East facing window and has not been relocated since I bought it about 9 months ago.
Also, I have noticed a sap like substance on some of the stems, and a dot of sap here and there on the leaves.
Any advice would be soo appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (14)

• pelargonium_gw
    9 years ago

Losing some of the lower leaves is natural when a plant is repotted, before it gets established, I wouldn't worry too much about that. The sap, however, makes me wonder. Have you had a close look for scale or other creepie-crawlies?

• fancynancy86
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think there is scale, but I don't exactly know what I'm looking for. Also don't see any creepy crawlies. I am noticing now that some of the top leaves are yellowing as well :(

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

The clear sticky substance is most likely a natural process called guttation. My Pachira do it regularly. Also, as new leaves are opening, some of the older and lower leaves will yellow and then fall off. Also a natural process called senescence (or aging).

When you re-potted, were the roots actually "bursting" out of the old pot? Did you remove the old soil? What kind of mix did you use?

Have you fertilized yet? If not, do so immediately. 1/2 strength to start.

Josh

• fancynancy86
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your help Josh!
    I hope you are right about the leaves aging. There does also seem to be more growth coming in, so hopefully that is the case. It just seems sudden that multiple leaves are yellowing.
    I have fertilized - I used the miracle grow slow release sticks (maybe put in too many to start?)
    As for repotting, no, I they weren't actually bursting. Maybe I should have just left it along, but it had been in the plastic store pot, and wanted to move it to my terra cotta.
    When I repotted, I removed a lot of the old soil, but a lot of it was tangled in the roots which I left. As for the soil, I used a generic indoor/outdoor potting soil from home depot. Not sure what it consisted of...

9 years ago

These plants really do better with a coarse, porous, fast-draining mix....sure, you end up watering more often in the Summer, but what a luxury it is being able to water thoroughly during the Winter without fear of root-rot.

I would remove those "fertilizer sticks" from the mix. They are terrible, in my opinion. A slow-release like Osmocote would be much better...and a liquid fertilizer would be even better.

Josh

• fancynancy86
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again,
    It's funny the different advice you get from people. A friend of mine who works in a garden centre highly recommended the fertilizer sticks!
    Ah well, I will try taking them out and hope for the best.

9 years ago

Do your friend's Pachira look good? ;-)

Josh

• fancynancy86
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha good question...

9 years ago

I need to take some more recent pics....this is from last Fall, a couple months after I chopped off all the leaves.

Josh

• fancynancy86
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Why would you chop off all of the leaves?

9 years ago

I'll show you why... ;-)

The Pachira grows way too tall, with foliage focused at the top, and then the entire plant tips over when the wind blows. So, I chop it down to keep it compact.

Josh

• fancynancy86
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, wow!
    On an aside, you seem to know a lot about plants. Do you know much about the ZZ Plant? Specifically pruning practices?

9 years ago

Thanks!
    I've never grown a ZZ....nor pruned one. Each stalk is a leaf, I think, so I wouldn't prune them, I suppose. There are knowledgeable ZZ growers here, though, so I'm sure you can get good advice.

Josh

• fancynancy86
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all of your help, Josh!