Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laalericaa

buds drooping

laalericaa
10 years ago

My geranium buds are drooping, as shown above. I keep my plant on my windowsill, where it does get enough sun, and i water it daily. Had it for about a month and shortly after getting it the buds died, then i cut them off, and the new buds are drooping and havent flowered yet and it's been a month,

any suggestions?

Comments (9)

• ozarkia
    10 years ago

Well . . . I don't think a month isn't a very long time if it's adjusting from greenhouse conditions. Daily watering sounds like a bit much, though; what kind of potting medium is it in?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb!

That's a normal angle for Pelargonium buds while they are developing, but the buds falling off isn't normal of course. I agree, it sounds like too much water. These are usually grown outside where the sun shines on them all day, unless it's a different Pel I'm not familiar with. Last winter was the first time I've managed to keep one alive inside although after 3 months of that, it was barely still alive.

• laalericaa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hi :)

um i'm not sure what pot medium is used, i am a begginer at this aha, my first plant :) but it's a new hobby of mine..

oh so it is normal? that's good then, phew :)

i was told it would be ok inside, and it is on my windowsill, i hoep it does last..

one of the stalks with the bud on it is turning brown, what is this a sign of?

• ozarkia
    10 years ago

I admit I've only grown them as an annual, but my mom has had some inside for years. They have gnarly stems and bloom throughout the year. They're along a wall of unobstructed north-facing sliding glass doors (in a room that is otherwise very bright), and she has them in Miracle-Gro potting soil and lets them get dry between waterings. During the summer they pop out onto the north-facing balcony and pretty much get ignored. So, if you're sure that they're getting enough light, maybe try cutting back on watering -- stick a chopstick or pencil or something all the way into the pot, and only water when it's nearly dry. (Alternately, stick your finger into the soil and feel for a "humid" sensation, not a "soggy" sensation, and/or examine the holes in the bottom of the pot for moisture.) If it's in a peat-based soil, depending on a lot of variables (pot size, rootball size, temperature, airflow), that could be as little as every couple weeks.

If you go to the main House Plants Forum page, and scroll down to the bottom, there's a search function. I bet if you try searching for terms like Pelargonium, geranium, overwatering, 5-1-1 mix, soil, etc., you'll find a LOT of relevant info. I know somewhere around here is where I picked up some cutting-rooting and bonsai-type info on Pelargoniums which I hope to put to good use if my mom lets me near her plant with shears. >:D

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Pelargonium buds always bend down like that at first and then straighten up. But if they drop off I also suspect excess water. They need very little water and are prone to rot if over watered. Remember they are natives of South Africa where they are able to survive a long dry season.

• laalericaa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much everyone, today i looked at my plant and the buds are slowly opening:)

i know it sounds silly but it made me very happy lol :) love seeing my plant all healthy!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

That's not silly at all! Enjoy!

• Daniel Prusaitis
    2 years ago

Flowers are our happy machines.