Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvofroses

Swedish Ivy

luvofroses
14 years ago

I recieved two small clippings of Swedish Ivy. Will rooting it in water work or is this a plant that should be planted in perlite or fast draing soil? I had one many,many, many years ago but it came as a full grown plant. I remember that this was fairly easy to grow I hope I am remebering correctly.

Ann in So Ut

Comments (19)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

It's always better (for the plant) to root cuttings in a solid substance rather than water. Swedish Ivy is an easy one to propagate, and you won't have any trouble as long as you don't let the rooting medium of your choice become water logged OR too dry.

By the way, it does root in water, too, but it will eventually have to root in soil...why not give it the best start possible?

• koicool1
    14 years ago

it honestly doesn't make a difference to me. when rooted in water and removed/potted as soon as the roots are 1/4 in. long they do not have to regrow roots. good luck

• luvofroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks I had put them in water and already have roots, boy that was fast! will find a small pot to put them. I am sure they will grow into a very pretty plant.
    Ann in So Ut

• larry_b
    14 years ago

Hello Ann,

Since you already have water roots you are already in the process of going that route. I agree with rhizo. The best way for the cuttings is to start them out in a potting medium. But really Swedish Ivy is one of the easiest plants to propagate. Good luck! That reminds me that I have been wanting to make another Swedish Ivy for myself.

Larry

14 years ago

Ann, your Swedish ivy is a good plant to 'practice' rooting in potting mix, perlite, vermiculite, or other solid medium. Even those people who say that they 'have no luck' getting plants to root in anything but water will have success!

It's good that there are some instant gratification plants around, huh? It's a lot more fun when our efforts are met with success.

• luvofroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I will be potting my ivy in soil tomorrow. It is looking really good with nice roots. It will be a small pot but it is kinda nice to have plants that you start from just little cuttings & hopefully they will grow into a nice full pot someday. I am so glad I got back into house plants but I am running out of room and husband says I have enough (he knows I get carried away with things I love and then get overwhelmed)He is not being mean he just knows me I guess it is good to have a checks and balances at home.
    Ann in So Ut

• prayerrock
    14 years ago

Sweedish Ivy is actually a common outdoor ivy that can get pretty invasive if not kept in check. There is another plant called the creeping charie that looks very much like the sweedish ivy but is a indoor house plant.

Pilea nummulariifolia

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Sorry PrayerRock,

but I believe the Swedish Ivy being discussed here is synonymous w/ Creeping Charlie (they're not ivy), they're actually the same plant, botanically called Plectranthus (cousin of Coleus & has a similar bloom spike).

14 years ago

Right on, Pirate girl. Prayerrock is confused by the common names, in all likelihood.

I know Creeping Charlie as common ground ivy, Glechoma, a weed. I've never heard of Swedish Ivy (Plectranthus australis) called by any other common name.

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

When I was in college (I'm just shy of 53), this plant was everywhere & all the rage, mostly in hanging planters. It was in restaurants, bars, libraries, dormitories, & was referred to as either Creeping Charlie or Swedish Ivy, was all the same (Plectranthus).

Yes, common names really are a problem: another post mentions "ghost plant" which I've heard used for THREE different plants here in my part of the country. The reference to 'Ice Plants' is similar.

• larry_b
    14 years ago

Karen,

I am 53 and I remember how popular Swedish Ivy was back then. My Grandmother loved the plant and I got her a large hanging plant for Christmas one year.

They have become somewhat hard to find. I have had one for about 20 years now, so no need to go out and look for one.

Larry

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Hi, I see you have already potted your creeping charlie up, but thought I would share some pics of mine for encouragement. I got a few cuttings three years ago that were already rooted, so I potted them up. The plant grew like gangbusters. I clipped it and shared some of the cuttings, but I also stuck some back in the pot (unrooted) to make it fuller. I have shared cuttings of this plant with several peopple and all are doing well.

Here it is soon after I got it. . . (sitting on the table)
    {{gwi:81701}}

Here it is a little bigger. . .
    {{gwi:87183}}

and here it is a few months ago. . .
    {{gwi:87184}}

Good luck with yours. . . (ps, they do like to be clipped. Either sitting or hanging, clipping them will make them fuller)

• luvofroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for such lovely pictures. I hope mine will look that good before long. It seems like it will take forever for 3 cuttings to turn into something as lush as yours. I think I will show mine your pictures and give it some encourgaement.
    Ann in So Ut

• inisaluv_live_com
    13 years ago

I have a common ivy houseplant that will not root. I have had it in water for a month now and no roots. I change the water and still no roots. I want it to grow into a nice big healthy plant. I don't know what to do with it now. Should I just put it in soil? Any suggestions? Please email me because I might forget that I placed this question here.

Inisaluv@live.com
    http://www.ClairvoyantOfTruth.com

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Hi Inis,

Well no, we don't Email to you, it's up to YOU to check back here -- ... Just write yourself a note to check back here OK? You're asking for OUR help, so you need to make it your business to check back. If it's not important enough for you to remember, why should WE take the time?

Common ivy houseplant is not what was beign discussed here, sorry to not have an answer for that.

It's a different topic & different plant. It may help to post a separate question for it.

Try putting the cutting in mix if it's not growing in the water.

• medontdo
    12 years ago

@pirate girl, if you didn't want to answer her, you could of opted out, and just explained how things worked! or left it alone PERIOD! i've been on here long enough to know how things work and that NOT EVERYONE is as RUDE and INCONSIDERATE as you Were! you definitely need to learn some manners! for reasons of this is why some members are leaving! and seeking out other places..Maybe she didn't know that if she clicks on the little box at the end, then she would get messages to her email...Hmmm how simple to just say that?!! Geeze!! However, on the "sweedish ivy" i have heard of a "creeping charlie" house plant that is like our sweedish ivy, but not like it, it is much more hardy, and much thicker. more like between the jade and sweedish ivy. its really weird... LOL But Very Beautiful! i seen it when we were in Germany..

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

@medontdo, PG did explain how things work. Not everybody offers hugs and kisses with their explanations, just different personalities. I don't find anything rude or inconsiderate about what she said. I also imagine she's as frustrated with the rest of us by the combination of the lack of moderation on these forums, and people digging up year-old threads to ask brand new questions. It also looks like InisaLove may just be a spammer, making up some crap that looks like it belongs in the conversation merely for the purpose of spreading her URL. If you've been "on here long enough to know how things work" then you should know it's silly to argue about common names of plants.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Medontdo,

Pls. read that again.

"Maybe she didn't know that if she clicks on the little box at the end, then she would get messages to her email..."

Checking the little box will NOT do what you said, but I suspect if I explain that you, you'll find that rude & inconsiderate too; so pls. read it again for yourself.

Purple, Thanks very much, I do appreciate it!.