Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mikado plant care

Posted by rosebuddy z4Ont (My Page) on
Tue, May 19, 09 at 17:49

At my nursery to bring home some garden plants and also saw this houseplant called Mikado (Syngonanthus chrysanthus). Never saw one before so of course brought it home. Does it need to be in water at all times? Right now it's in a soup bowl with an inch of water. Any directions for its care would be appreciated. I swear this nursery has me on its gps and sets out unusual plants when it sees me coming.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mikado plant care

lol @ gps!

I had this last year, and let it get too dry late in the season, so it eventually died.

I didn't keep mine in water at all times, but set it in a bowl of water when it began to show signs of dryness.

Mine was on my sunporch with direct sun for a large part of the day, and lots of 'daytime warmth' I'll call it, as some of the nights were cool, which didn't seem to affect the plant.

I had bought mine in February, I think, and it lived and grew nicely until I'd forgotten to water it when I brought it indoors during the winter.

o

I've read where it needs bright but indirect light. Temp 20-22 ideal, will tolerate 14C-30C. Flowers last 10 weeks and it flowers 50 wks out of the year.
I have mine in a saucer of water too, not confident enough to remember to water it almost every day.

o

My mikado plant is dying despite my watering. Is it possible to revive it?

o

Never had any luck with these. I think if you can successfully grow Venus' Flytrap you could grow these. Never had any luck with those either until recently. I took an empty glass pickle jar (with out the lid) put some small rocks in the bottom maybe about 1/2 -3/4 of an inch, and just dropped the pot with the almost dead flytrap in the centre. Kept the water just to the top of the rocks. It's been about 2 and a half months and it's doing fantastic. It flowered, and has at least 3 or 4 fully developed mouths with many more new ones. It's in bright light most of the day and gets some direct sun. I'm almost certain this should work for your mikado. You've got nothing to lose if you want to give it a try!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here