Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Ponytail Palm plants look terrible

Posted by lisaemc2 4 (My Page) on
Sun, May 23, 10 at 17:55

I've had these 2 ponytail palms for nearly 3 years. I adopted them from a friend moving out of town. They were sad & stunted. They have been flourishing ever since until now. They enjoyed a growth spurt last year when I put them out on the balcony. Now the leaves are turning yellow & then dying. Since it was a "too much water" yellow I laid off the watering. Didn't really improve anything. Now that I've moved them out on the balcony again the leaves are getting yellow faster & are droopy. I fertilized all my plants last week. The trunks are turning pale, straw yellow & a dark purple. I'm so sad. The only thing I did differently was I put a layer of stones covering the soil. I've since taken them off. I have photos but I'm not sure how or where to post them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Ponytail Palm plants look terrible

Are the trunks squishy? If they are then it's rot and just laying off the watering won't fix that. Rot spreads. You'd have to do an amputation and repotting to fix it.

o

No, not squishy. Hard as normal. Now that I think about it all this started happening around the time I adopted another palm. Not sure if it's a Spindle or a Chinese fan but I put it in the same window. It's doing fine so I still can't imagine why this is happening.

o

I don't know or grow these, but I'll share 2 plant growing tips.

Pls. stop fertilizing, it's not like medicine to fix ailing plants. It's best to fertilize healthy plants when they're in active growth. Given to ailing plants it won't help, sorry.

2nd tip: I'd suggest you take the whole plant out of the pot & inspect the roots for damage, rot &/or insects.

One of my best plant growing mentors used to say that trying to diagnose an ailing plant w/out unpotting it out to check the roots is like trying to see while blindfolded.

HTH = hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here