Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tips on Sowing Amaryllis Seed Pls?

Posted by pirate_girl Zone7 NYC (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 12 at 17:56

Hi All,

Last week at a meeting of my local Indoor Gardening Society, someone shared Amaryllis seeds. Anyone have experience w/ these?

I'm contemplating sowing 'em in a mix of chopped up long sphag & perlite (50/50) moistened (as I did my Hoya seeds & my Schlumbergera seeds) which are now about 5 & 6 months old respectively.

Had read online they can be started floating in water but the poster suggested they got better overall results sowing directly to mix.

Thoughts, opinions pls? TIA

(PG) Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tips on Sowing Amaryllis Seed Pls?

There is lots of discussion on this in the hippie forum. Check out the FAQ. You do have to find your topic in the list, then scroll down until you come to it. Lots of links about germinating seed. I have had good luck floating mine in water, 90-100% success.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amaryllis FAQ

o

Wow, ASeedIs,

On point indeed, thanks much, for an excellent link & lots to read. Now I just have to decide btwn water floating 'em vs. potting 'em up in mix. Terrific reading, thanks.

o

Karen,
I have grown hippie seeds not amaryllis. Two different plants. One from Africa and one from South America. They do look similar but amaryllis seeds are round and hippie seeds are flat. I do believe they both can be grown this way;
I soak seeds in warm water with root tone mixed in. 24 hrs. them put in a container like they sell roasted chicken in. Black plastic bottom with clear plastic dome top. Makes the perfect green house to sprout the seeds in. Any good fine potting mix will do. Keep moist but not wet and with the lid almost closed. Place the seeds on the soil not covered. The hi moist conditions will help them sprout. In a week or so, it will look like grass growing, them years before you see or get anything. Remember, anything can come from a seed. One that has never been around before. So I guess it is worth the fun of trying.
Funny, I just described the same method I use to grow clivia seeds on off topic on the Sans forum.
Stush
Also almost all the seed sprout if fresh.

o

Hi Stanly and Karen,

I didn't even think about the amaryllis/hippiastrum difference, I just assumed that Karen meant hippies. So I am glad that you are making this clear, in case the seed really are amaryllis ones. Thanks!

Barb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here