Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Houseplant ID...already tried looking myself.

Posted by iambean (My Page) on
Sun, May 30, 10 at 18:30

I tried finding these two new houseplants on various pages and in a book we have but I had no luck.

Plant One came with a tag that said "Polyscias Aralia" on it. When I type that in I get a variety of plants back, many looking nothing like the plant shown here:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2wbw70y.jpg

Plant TWO...came with no ID tag....except "assorted foliage"
http://i48.tinypic.com/200zort.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Houseplant ID...already tried looking myself.

Hi Iam,

Well I know what they are: the first has a partially correct tag, it's an Aralia all right, but not the Polyscias. It's a Balfour Aralia or Aralia Balforiana. This is one of my most favorite plants of all time & I currently have one too. If you do a search here, at this Forum, you may come up w/ a post I made several months ago which included my pix of this plant & perhaps a comment that this plant doesn't come up here much.

Now that you know it's name you can look up it's care, but it want bright, indirect light & benefits from a pebble tray.

The 2nd plant is (I believe) a Pilea or Aluminum Plant which I don't know much about (except that I believe it needs humidity).

Nice finds, enjoy!

o

• Posted by izhar Karachi, Pakistan/ 1 (My Page) on
    Mon, May 31, 10 at 7:59

Yes I second the above IDs, the Aluminum plant is "Pilea cadierei", it is a cold and drought sensitive plant but do well if properly cared.

Aralias are one of the toughest plants I have seen, don't know much about their cold hardiness but the other requirements are negligible.. responds very well with regular fertilizers.. a very good choice..

Izhar

o

That first is also often called a 'dinnerplate' aralia. Mine's tag says Polyscias balfuriana. I bought it a year ago for a quarter off a 'dead and dieing' rack at Lowes. I just wired it up for indoor bonsai. Awesome little tree, very tough. It likes humidity and to not be allowed to dry out.

The second I don't have but I'll second the aluminum plant ID.

o

A balfouriana is in fact a member of the polyscias family, Aralia is just the common name.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here