Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need some tips on this

Posted by barb_roselover_in (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 12 at 18:38

I don't know if this is the correct forum or not. My son sent me a bonsai Azalea for Mother's Day. There was very little information on this, and my son doesn't know either, but he thought this would be something that I would get pleasure from. Would anybody give me some info? I don't want to kill this. I'm concerned about the watering and I think I have to keep it trimmed. I would appreciate any information. Could it be kept outside in my small little antiquated, unheated greenhouse, or should I keep it with my other house plants? I'm at a loss and feel really dumb about it. Thanks in advance. Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need some tips on this

Hi Barb,

Sorry, I don't have advice for you, but pls. don't feel dumb. Not knowing is just not knowing. Could you perhaps contact the vendor from where it came?

I believe there's a current thread here now, called Azalia Tree as Houseplant. Pls. look for that, it discusses whether the plant is hearty or not (some are not winter or outdoor hearty, some are), that seems to be key.

o

Like pirate_girl says, don't feel dumb. We all have to start somewhere and no matter how much you know there's more to learn.

Have you tried the Bonsai forum? It has several posts on azalea bonsai.

Good luck,

Linda

o

Azaleas prefer cooler temps below 70 degrees, but can survive warmer temps as long as they are well watered. Once a tightly potted Azalea gets a bit too dry, it will shed dry leaves in a big hurry. It is best to monitor the soil moisture regularly to avoid allowing it to dry beyond the surface of the soil.

Lots of indoor sunlight is also beneficial. Like all bonsais, it will need regular pruning to maintain its miniaturized from.

~Will

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here