Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

One of my Sans. rooting corners

pirate_girl
11 years ago

Here's a spot I tend to place Sans. to get started (as long as they're fairly short).

{{gwi:87360}}

This way, they can hang out undisturbed for as long as it takes them to get going. I like the little wrought iron shelf unit (got at my local BBS).

Comments (9)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

That IS a cute shelf! Are you talking about cuttings? How far down the leaf do you cut? How much gets buried? I've only ever multiplied mine by dividing. Would you mind showing a closer pic of one? "...as long as it takes to get going." Sounds like it can take... how long? Months? A year? I'm usually good with figuring out abbreviations but am too lazy to google and can't decipher BBS. Could I ask any more questions? Besides these last 2?

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Purple,

Yeah, sure you can ask Qs. I'm talking abt leaves, single leaves that I'll put up to root, or sometimes portions of a leraf. Perhaps there's a tall leaf, 10" +, I might cut that in thirds always remembering which end was down (this is a MUST) & stick them an inch or 2 down into some very fast draining mix. I'll try to take some closer pix this wknd, but really my closest up pix are of my Hydro Sans. (which I grow in water). Hop on over to the Sans. forum 'next door' & search for those terms.

It can take a VERY long time, really have forgotten to mark the start dates, but it's months & months & months.

Oops, sorry for the abbreviation BBS = Big Box Store (HD, Lowes, etc.)

11 years ago

Thanks! I did not know one could do that with a sans leaf. Fascinating! What do you think about trying it on some old stubs? Like leaves that I cut down to a few inches years ago that never did die off. Might be a good reason to finally cut them all the way off. Those old leaves might not have much oomph though, some of them have got to be at least 15-20 yrs old.

Of course I don't need more of the same sans but love to propagate stuff & give it away. My busy daughter could use more plants that thrive on being ignored. I'm just glad she has time to think about plants at all in the middle of going to school, work, sorority, etc...

Don't hold my failing memory up as a reason to apologize. I've heard that (BBS), guess I remember even LESS as it gets late.

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

Karen:

I have gained a whole new love of sans and now have three. To me, they are one of the most uncomplicated in care and most beautiful to grow. Wish more people who are new to the plant world would give them a try. I think it would give them confidence.

Haven't tried propagating but am thinking seriously about it.

Linda

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Go to the Sansevieria forum and look at all of pirate_girl's posts. She has done wonders growing them. And pictures from start to finish.
    Way to go Karen.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Stush,

Aren't you nice singing my praises like that, thanks for the kinds words (here & at Sans.Forum).

Yes, Linda, I too grew a whole new love for these thanks to our friend Norma (among others), who warmly helped me, mentored me, turned me on to Hermine Stover's Sans. book& generally gave me a great deal of encouragement & affection (hugs to you Norma); and Jeff (CactusMcH), who generously shared a few Sans, w/me & was even wounded in the process. Norma & Jeff both helped me so much I subsequently gave a Sans. talk & showed my plants to my local Indoor Gardening Society.

I have about 10-13 different Sans now (I usually say not a yellow stripe among the bunch), but was recently given a yellow strip of 'twisted' Sans.something, which I don't like, so I cut the leaf in half & set it aside to root.

Hey Purple,

Seems to me that's what those older, often bit ratty Sans. leaves are for.

I just did what you're suggesting over the wknd. I had a portion of a Sans. rooting & it looked like the inner portion was dying, but the outer leaves were fine, so I pulled the outer leaves off, let them dry for a day or 2 & then will add them into another pot where I've got some Sans. rooting.

FYI: they can be rooted in almost any kind of mix (except peat). I often reuse older mix for Sans., I believe they don't care one bit.

I started these crazy experiments, cause I'm curious & often have lots of plant material w/ which to experiment. (I have become the foster mother for Sans. here in my local Indoor Gardening Society (Hoyas too, eh, eh, eh).

11 years ago

Oh brother. There are little spider plant babies, little pots of T. zebrina, cane begonia, and Callisia fragrans all over the place... and now this sans thing. Thanks, I feel so enabled, and am now glad those ugly leaf stubs I've been looking at for about a decade can have a much more noble purpose.

I have a few more questions but will post them to the sans forum and stop hijacking your thread!

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

I've only done this once, with a plain ubiquitous green one that got a bad case of soil mealies, so instead of tossing the whole thing, I rooted some cuttings. It's really neat, and I highly recommend it. I can't remember where, but I thought I read or heard that when growing a cutting of the yellow striped sans the little plants come out all green. So since it sounds like you don't like the yellow stripes, you are maybe getting rid of them this way? Have fun!

Barb

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Nice rooting corner, Karen! :-)

Josh

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus