Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantomaniac08

Any day now (waiting for buds to open)...

plantomaniac08
10 years ago

I bought this TC near the end of last year on clearance for $5. I was a bit apprehensive as to how healthly it was, noticing it was sitting in a cache pot full of water (not to mention the plant itself was soakig wet). I repotted it, suprised to healthy roots, and now months later it's about to bloom for me!

This is my first TC that I've had produce buds for me let alone bloom. I'll post another photo when the buds open. There's ten buds in all (there were close to thirty, but only ten have survived).

To the left is a Moth Orchid I found earlier today for $1.50. I hope I don't kill it...

Planto

Comments (23)

• jessiec777
    10 years ago

Pretty, can't wait to see pics :-)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Wow Planto,

Good for you, that's an impressive & happy looking TC. The red/purple edges on the segments are also really handsome.

Maybe you could come over & have a little talk w/ mine, which isn't lookin' happy these days.

Are you doing anything special for it? Fertilizing, special mix or anything unusual?

This jealous admirer wishes to learn how to do this!!!

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

PG,
    If only I knew what I did lol. I couldn't get most of the original crappy soil off so I just left it. I potted it in this stuff my Mother found online at violetsupply.com (it's actually potted in their "hoya mix"). I have fertilized it a couple times with fish emulsion, but it was producing buds before I fertilized it. It doesn't get any direct sun... Did for a couple hours when I first put it outdoors in March. I keep it moist... That's about all I've done with it lol. Nothing I find extraordinary. What's wrong with your TC? :/

Planto

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found this orchid today for $5 on clearance and found the pot on clearance for $3.49. The orchid was originally $9.99 so hey, I got both items for the price of the orchid (originally priced)!. Hehe, while waiting for my TC blooms to open, thought you might enjoy these.

Planto

• Lamora
    10 years ago

very pretty!! even if it isn't in full bloom. :)

Marjie

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, three buds have officially opened and I see more on the way. I'll try to repost a photo when they're all open (or at least most of them), but I thought in the meantime, you guys would like to see it's progress so far. :)

Planto

{{gwi:87369}}

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Awesome flowers - the orchid and the TC! I love it when holiday cacti disregard the calendar.

My EC has a few new buds again. I've had that for just under a year and this is the 5th-6th time it's bloomed. Almost all of the TC's can see the EC. I hope they are inspired!

Did the orchid really only cost $3.99?

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purple,
    Haha@inspired. You should post a picture when your EC blooms. :)

I found the red orchid pot for $3.49 on clearance and the orchid for $5 on clearance. The pot was originally $6.99 and the orchid was originally $9.99. I thought they were both quite the deal!

Planto

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

It is amazing it is blooming right now. My CC bloomed for 5 months from Nov to Late march

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

gasp, how very beautiful. What a great color!
    k

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Entero,
    I know! I found red dried flowers on it when I bought it around Christmas last year on clearance, so I figured it'd bloom red. Now I'm not so sure it is red. I'm not sure if it even qualifies as "red." I look at it and think it's red, but then it almost looks orange. *shrugs* I think it's unique. ;) Thanks for looking.

Teen,
    Wow, I'd be estatic if any plant I had bloomed for 5 months! Do you have a picture of it blooming at all during that time? I know, I keep asking you for pictures, but I figure you seem like you have so many plants, it's nice to see what you have. :)

Planto

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, I have a picture of it with all the blooms open. Some of them only lasted a day and are already fading, but their color provides a contrast I suppose. The lighting in the picture is a little off, it's raining outside today.

{{gwi:87370}}

Planto

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Just fabulous, Planto, so very pretty! Actually, that orangey red could be called vermillion (color name used in oil paints), to convey just that orangey kind of red. At least I think so. Great show, thanks.

Is the saucer attached to the bottom of is pot? Hard to tell, looks like it might be.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

PG,
    Thanks! I'll have to make a note of thay Color. I thought it was going to be red but it surprised me hehe. The saucer is attached, so I'm careful to drain excess water.

Planto

10 years ago

Awesome, I love it!!

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Ill try planto but it is difficult to take photos, and they are of very poor quality. WAIT, I MAY HAVE ONE, BUT AGAIN, POOR QUALITY

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I took a photo on my game then too another photo with the photo on the game screen, very bad Idea

10 years ago

Planto, your pic is on break or something, it was there before...

TG, I can see enough to tell there's some very pretty flowers there. Awesome!!

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purple,
    I was messing with my photo album last night and accidentally deleted the wrong photo. :( Next time, I'll upload it... at least that way if I move it to another album or in this case, it gets deleted, it'll still be on here. *sigh*

Teen,
    I can still see you plant a little bit too, that looks like a happy plant!

Planto

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Most likely cant tell but the plant has fruit growing as well

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Teen,
    If you haven't already, you should research growing CC from seeds. That would be something fun to try!

Planto

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I did make a post about it without much reply

Here is a link that might be useful: Crosses,Fruiting and Lots of Pruning

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Teen,
    Oh, I guess I missed thaT post, I don't even recall seeing it.

Planto

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz