Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buddha's hand

Posted by scarlet23 NYC (My Page) on
Mon, May 11, 09 at 19:17

Hi. I bought a Buddha's hand plant (the heart shaped leaf one) and I had a couple of questions about it. Is it harmful to pets. My cat has left it be, but if he eats a little of it will it be bad news? Also, I'm having a hard time finding care instructions for this plant. I know that you are suppose to keep the soil moist between waterings, but that is about it. Do I have to trim it or something ever so often? I'm using it as an indoor plant. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Truly, Scarlet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buddha's hand

If this is the alocasia thingy and not the buddha's hand citron, then yes, it's poisonous, although I don't know how much. Generally aroids have calcium oxalate (?) crystals in them which are a mouth and throat irritant and your cat's probably not likely to eat enough to really get hurt because of this. Eating a lot over a period of time causes kidney damage, but that doesn't seem to be generally likely. Only dieffenbachias and calla lilies are widely considered to be really dangerous, as far as aroids go. I think.

I'm guessing it'll need a lot of humidity. Also you might want to let it dry down a bit between waterings. This seems to be standard advice for most houseplants, and I don't think that would differ here (Unless maybe it was one of those species that tends to grow in rivers, but that's different, because flowing water and stagnant pot-moisture are different things).

I've never had luck with alocasias not completely falling apart on me. They turn orange for no apparent reason and just like, rot from the leaves inward. Apparently humidity causes this, somehow. This might also just be Alocasia x Poly 'African Mask' or whatever the black-and-white ones are, though.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here