Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

Just because it's cool...

Have been growing it for few yrs...has really cool stem. In Europe they call it 'viper plant'. Others call it 'skunk plant'. (I know it is aroid-just not sure exactly which one).

Never had one blooming, I was giving more mature plants away & got stuck with very young ones. This time I will be more patient, hopefully it will bloom & will be able to ID it.

{{gwi:87454}}{{gwi:87455}}{{gwi:87456}}

Rina

Comments (14)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

It looks like it would make a decent/interesting bonsai .....

Al

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

'In Europe they call it 'viper plant.'' In which of the multiple languages of the multiple countries of Europe?

Do you know its botanical name?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

flora,

not in UK, but in my 'old country' - Czechoslovakia...
    Botanical name is Amorphophallus, but I am not sure which one - maybe A. bulbifer, could be something else. I looked up photos, but there were at least 2 that looked similar. I think flowers may help to ID.

Rina

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

It might be Amorphophallus konjac, according to a quick trip around 'google'.

• snappyguy
    11 years ago

Rina,

There is an aroid forum here on GW. I'm not sure how active it is, but someone there might be able to help you identify which species of Amorphophallus it is. While living in Houston I got to see a blooming Amorphophallus titanum, the "corpse flower." It was quite a sight (and smell!)

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: Aroid forum

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Rina, looks like Amorphophallus, commonly known as Voodoo Lily. Arum Family, (Araceae.) They're tubers.

Does it go dormant in winter, then, around Feb/Mar start sprouting?

If so, I'm thinking it the Voodoo. I too have this plant..It's several years, but never once bloomed. lol.

Toni

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dorie;

It looks like the A. konjac; I looked at all photos I could find. A. konjac is supposed to be the easiest to grow. Actually it is easy, just water here & there. I keep it outside in part shade during summer.

Mark;

thanks for the link - so far I didn't check Aroid forum since I spend too much time already on others...so decided to wait for the flower....maybe few years?!
    I never had chance to see the flowers. I received tuber from my aunt many yrs. ago, she said hers was blooming few times & it stunk.

Toni;

yes, it goes dormant & sprouts again soon after New year - depends when I start watering it. The tuber gets bigger every year. The tallest one I had was about2.5feet tall.

Rina

• randy_e
    11 years ago

It might be an Amorphophallus paeoniifolius, Had one bloom years ago...nastiest smelling thing I've ever expirienced. smelled like rotting meat. My dog loved it...
    Randy

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It looks little like A. konjac or A. bulbifer or A.paeoniifolius...I think the flower will help to ID it.

• snappyguy
    11 years ago

Rina,

I believe the common name for all species of Amorphophallus is "corpse flower" for exactly the reason Randy mentions above. If you do get it to flower for you, you may want to find a place for it such that it won't stink you out of your house, and won't get you a bunch of neighbors upset over the smell. When I saw A. titanum, which is larger, it was at the Houston Natural History museum. They have a conservatory, and the smell was everywhere you went even there. They're fascinating plants, and I have to admit that I've considered getting one too.

Mark

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Ok I agree these things have a reputation for stinking, but how does it compare to driving by (downwind) a chicken farm when it's 110 degrees?

I don't want one but I'm overcome with curiousity about the first pic, is the shorter thing a baby from the roots or are there 2 cuttings in the pot?

Hope it blooms while it's warm enough to put it outside! Thanks for sharing pics of your unusual plant!

• snappyguy
    11 years ago

Chicken farms smell better to me. These literally smell like putrefying flesh on a hot day. Some people have a hard time keeping their lunch down around them. They also produce a huge amount of scent that will grace large areas, and the smell will cling to clothes and hair too.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

purple

the second one is a baby, growing from separate small tuber (have few more of those); I believe that tuber needs to be a bit mature to flower. So this time I am going to make sure that I keep the largest/oldest.

I find it very ineteresting: the stems are 'spotted' and the leaves are also nice. Great conversation piece (I guess until the smelly flowers, lol). And it is really care-free. I do keep it outside in shade/part sun.

Mark, Randy - thanks for the warning. Even squirrels stay away from digging-up...So far racoons left it alone too, & they don't mind the smells!

Rina

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Thanks & thanks! ...that's an impressive odor (worse than chicken house) I don't really ever want to smell but am becoming intrigued by this cute little plant. The leaves aren't even variegated, go figure! Hope you'll share pics whenever you get a bloom.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area