Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Care for Patchouli as a Houseplant?

Posted by MissCricket 5A, WI (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 12 at 19:29

I've heard of people keeping patchouli as a houseplant, so when I found one at my local garden center I decided to allow myself an impulse buy. It won't keep overwinter outdoors where I live, and we occasionally have unforeseen cold snaps in July, so I'd prefer to keep it indoors.

Does anyone have any experience with it? What type of growing medium does it prefer? For now I'm just going to put it in some regular houseplant potting soil, but I'm sure it'd like something a little more substantial. There isn't a lot of natural light in my house, especially in winter, so I imagine I'll need a grow light. What sort of lux is appropriate for house plants? Would it be satisfied with an aquarium grow light? I have a fixture with bulbs that give out about 8,000 lux. Are there other things I should be concerned about? Diseases? Watering? I've read patchouli likes to be kept fairly moist but can rot quickly if overwatered. I sure hope I can keep it alive, I really like this little plant. It makes the room smell like the 60's!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Care for Patchouli as a Houseplant?

I have no experience with it, but it seems like you could treat it like most any other herb. Take care not to overwater and don't let it dry out between waterings, is what I'm hearing from the searching I just did.

I'd just google "patchouli as houseplant" (ignoring results from ehow.com) if you haven't yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here