Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squidy_gw

Anyone experienced w/rose of Jericho/resurrection/dinosaur plant?

squidy
12 years ago

As in, this thing: http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/dinosaur_plant.jpg

I got one a few years ago and only hydrated it for a few weeks before drying it out and putting it in a drawer. I just took it out again and put it in water today. I am not sure how to take care of it. A lot of sites say not to keep it in water for more than a few days, a week at max, then let it dry out again.. (the reason given being either because it will get moldy, or because in the desert it is not used to extended periods in water) but other sites say not to dry it out and resurrect it too many times because this stresses it out, and you can keep it in water for most of the year. So what am I supposed to do??? I would like to keep it out for a long time if possible.

ALSO, what can I do to encourage new growth on the plant? It doesn't have a lot of green on it currently. A lot of the fronds look old/brown. Also it is just sitting in plain water right now. I know nothing about hydroponics, but it seems like it would need some fertilizer or something to create new fronds. I even found a site saying you can plant it in soil. Does that work well?

Lastly, one site said it would smell nice, but right now mine sort of smells like a fish tank. I hope this isn't bad.

Pleeeaaase help, I am so lost and I want this plant to flourish~

Comments (2)