Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone else LOVE spider plants?

Posted by wandering_willow 6-7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 19, 10 at 19:50

- House Plants Forum - GardenWeb

So I was just looking at my spider plant, who I affectionately call Charlotte (from a favorite childhood book, Charlotte's Web, lol) and felt like doing a little tribute
to these wonderful plants! Anyone else here love them? It's nice that they thrive off benign neglect, and seem to be the perfect apartment plant, and I just love how
they produce all those babies and cute little white flowers! Does anyone know of any other plants that produce plantlets on
runners like spider plants? I think its adorable! Anyway, I'd love to see pictures of other people's spiders! Best,

Willow

Here is a bad picture of my big momma - Charlotte :) I'm sorry the picture is so big, I don't know how to shrink it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone else LOVE spider plants?

I know that Saxifraga sarmentosa (Strawberry Begonia - it's not a Begonia despite the common name) grows plantlets on runners. It also (as far as I've noticed) does well on benign neglect however to a very slightly lesser degree.

This is my Spider Plant. It's in a 10in plastic pot with like, a million babies. I grew it from just a little tiny plantlet started 3 years ago off of my mother's plant, which she's since killed. Yours looks so happy!
It looks a little deflated in this pic 'cause it was thirsty when it was taken. It puffs up substantially when not thirsty.
Spider plant

o

Yours looks adorable! and very happy too! Those Strawberry "Begonias" are very cute too! might havta add it to my list haha. Thanks for sharing the pic!!

o

Strawberry Begonias are cute. They're very tolerant and if you're lucky they'll send up a flower stalk in the middle of the plant. I, however, have never had mine flower for me...so I dunno what it takes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here