Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is that on my Christmas Cactus? Pics

Posted by pudgybaby (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 11 at 19:56

There is something growing on my Christmas cactus (or is it a spring cactus - is there such a thing?) that looks like a tiny barrel cactus. Is this normal? I have pics, but let me say that I am embarrassed by them because it looks unhealthy - the stem parts are kind of tan and dead looking and there is cracking/scarring. But it's just wrapping up flowering with a few buds and flowers hanging on, so it's healthy enough, I guess.

The barrel cactus thing is about 3/4 inch long and has flat leaf type things coming out the top that look just like other normal Christmas cactus leaves. Have you seen ever seen this?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is that on my Christmas Cactus? Pics

Hello!
It seems to be a reversion.
Check the Thread I linked below ;-)

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Easter Cactus! - Bloated cactus-like leaves?

o

Thanks, Josh! How strange. I'll just keep watching it and see what it does. That other thread said that these may occur more often when the plant is stressed, which is definitely the case with my plant :(

o

Schizophrenia. Or multiple personality disorder. Yeah, that's the one. Your cactus is turning into something else in order to escape the trauma of its real life.

o

fyi -- I do believe that they call the "spring cactus" Easter cactus?

Last year my 'spring' cactus' put out a plethora of lovely light pink flowers -- this year, none. :-(

That is really odd regarding your "mutation" -- makes one wonder if some of these plants aren't "creations" of humans.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here