Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pachypodium lamerei trunk chop?

Posted by keltic_pickle 10 (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 19:59

I have a Pachypodium lamerei that is getting quite tall. I was wondering if it's possible to chop the trunk back on this plant? I've always shortened my Euphorbias by chopping them back and propagating new plants with the parts I prune off. Is this sort of thing possible with Pachypodiums? The trunk is pretty fat, so it wouldn't be an easy job, I realize. But if I'm able to manage it, would the plant then branch off at the prune point and could the chopped off bit be used to start a new plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pachypodium lamerei trunk chop?

It's possible certainly, though success is in the hands of the plant and nature ( unfortunately for we mere mortals).
Given the best chance, plants just want to grow to flowering size and overcome breakages and damage in the meantime. Bless them!
Family Apocynaceae so they are akin to things like plumeria. I can't think there's anything to guide you on height, I mean no nodules or such, so decide on cutting at a point below where you want for branching.
Heeling over the base of the cut part first, and protecting the upper surface of the growing plant... you may already know of something, I found cinnamon powder a good antibiotic. You'll have to be very patient.

You might also ask in Cacti/succulent forums

o
RE: Pachypodium lamerei trunk chop?

Thanks Alison. May have to give it a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here