Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foliage Pro verses MG and other fertilizers on my plants.Pics

Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 22, 10 at 20:00

Plants I have regularly with Foliage Pro, at every watering at 1/4 or more teaspoon per gallon in a gritty and 5.1.1 mix...After a year
All pictures taken today..

How about you? Do you have any pictures of plants fed with just Foliage Pro? A years worth or more using just FP?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Plants fed Miracle Grow and miracid..

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mike..:-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foliage Pro verses MG and other fertilizers on my plants.Pics

Moving on..:-)

Mike

o

WOW! I'm sold on FoliagePro. Thanks for the comparing the two.

o

I've always wondered if someone did some actual comparing like this~ with pics no less!
A lot of difference.

Thanks so much. Now I know.. FP for me. :)

o

yea... i will be purchasing Fpro.

thank you

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 16:20

Good job, Mike! Pretty plants, too - as usual. Photobucket

Al

o

Thanks Al!:-0)

I will always be grateful for all that you show me and how to apply it. I need to take some updates on some of these. Boy, I can't believe the difference looking at some of these. I am still using Foliage Pro and I am thankful I have easy access to it.

Your welcome Xmike, Lamora and Mango..Sheesh, too bad I wasn't a rep, I'd be rich selling the stuff..lol

Mike

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 12:31

Mike,
Wow. Very impressive results. I haven't been able to find a local source for FP, but your pics might make me order online.

o

Hey Mike...As usual, you're plants look fantastic.

What's the plant in pic 1? I first thought citrus but flowers don't match.

And, what's the plant in the last photo? A Gardenia? Mike, looks like it had/s mites.. Have you checked for webbing? Toni

o

I found there are a lot of stores in my area that sell Foliage Pro here. http://www.dyna-gro.com/
Yippie there is a place in Sanford, Florida!
Sharon

o

Hey, guys and gals! ;-)
You might not have noticed, but this Thread is now two years old. Some of these plants
might have moved on...since I know Mike won't keep a plant around if it doesn't perform well.

Mike, maybe you could update us on these plants?

Josh

o

Also, isn't Mike in New England?

When I lived in New England, the water in my area was naturally soft and slightly acidic. Hence acid-promoting products like Miracid are probably going to make the growing medium too acidic there.

However, where I live now in SoCal, water is hard (dissolved calcium and magnesium) and treated to raise the pH to 8 or so. Entirely different story for growing plants. The acid-forming products are highly popular around here for good reason.

o

Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 17:38

Almost all municipal water supplies are treated so they come in at a pH well above 8.0; that, to minimize damage to plumbing hardware and pipe corrosion. Groundwater untreated, from individual wells, might be a different story.

Al

o

Josh, thanks for noticing the date. :)

Mike, what happened to the plants fertilized with MG? Are they still around?

Al, you wrote, "almost all municipal water supplies are treated so they come in at a pH well above 8.0."

Does this mean acid-loving plants need acidic fertilizer? Toni

o

Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 21:18

It means you need to be very aware that the natural tendency of soils irrigated with water treated with bases like calcium hydroxide to raise their pH level is to have their pH increase with time. This is especially so if you're unable to regularly flush the soil, because the base compounds tend to build up in the soil. For example. I don't usually see any signs of a pH induced Fe (iron) deficiency in the summer when plants are outdoors and I water with the hose, flushing them very thoroughly each time I water. In winter, those plants I over-winter indoors don't get as thorough a flushing as they do in summer, and I OFTEN see pH induced Fe deficiencies. To correct that issue, I'll add enough vinegar or citric acid to my irrigation water to bring the pH down to 5.0, which immediately fixes the Fe deficiency. This is why it's poor practice to reach for an Fe supplement as soon as you see chlorosis in your plant. Undoubtedly, a sufficient supply of Fe is already IN the soil - you just need to make it available by lowering pH.

Many of the micronutrients also precipitate from the soil solution at high pH. This means they form insoluble compounds with other elements in the soil solution, and they literally fall out of the solution like rain - thus the term 'precipitation'.

When you start adding up all the negatives associated with soils that don't allow you to water properly, it starts to become easier to see why I'm constantly harping on soil choice as the most significant influence on a grower's ability to consistently produce healthy material. The upward creep of pH is one of the negatives on the list

The fact that different genera/species of plants grow in different types of soil (pH) does not necessarily mean that the plant is an 'acid lover' (as an example). It just means that the plants have developed strategies to adapt to certain conditions, like excesses and deficiencies of particular nutrients. Plants that "love" acid soils have simply developed strategies to cope with those soils. Their calcium needs are still the same as any other plant and no different from the nutrient requirements of plants that thrive in alkaline soils. The problem for acid-loving plants is that they are usually unable to adequately limit their calcium uptake, and will absorb too much of it when available, resulting in cellular pH-values that are too high. Some acid-loving plants also have difficulties absorbing Fe, Mn, Cu, or Zn, which are more tightly held in alkaline soils, another reason why they thrive in low pH (acid) soils.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here