Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgw3_gw

ID Please.

JGW3
10 years ago

This plant was given to me today. I am about to separate them, I am well aware that they need a much better pot too. But I do not know what the variegated plant on the right is. Any help would be really appreciated!

John

Comments (12)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Take more pics in detail while separating please. I'd like a worm's eye view of the one in question once its out.

So far I'm suspicious that it may be a dracena of some sort but additional shots will help. :)

• gravyboots
    10 years ago

Hello & Welcome John!

My opinion on your plants is:

12:30 is a Spathiphyllum aka Peace Lily
    3:00 is a Dracaena reflexa
    7:00 is in trouble
    9:00 is an Epipremnum (or Scindapsus) aurem aka Pothos
    11:30 is an Aglaonema aka Chinese Evergreen (maybe a Dieffenbachia, aka Dumb Cane, but I'm leaning toward the former)

Gravyboots

• gravyboots
    10 years ago

....whoopsie! Maybe my rash post will help someone else ;)
    GB

• JGW3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Asleep in the Gravy,

Here's another couple pictures. Dracena Reflexa looks like the winner.

Gravy you nailed the others too.

My kids call the Pothos a Mexican Food Plant because they are in every Mexican food restaurant we go to it seems.

The "In Trouble" is a Kalanchoe Blossfeldiana. I only know this because I remember it from before it spent 6 months paired with these other guys.

Thanks for the help.

• JGW3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another quick question for you kind folks. Can I "lift" this plant and expose some more of the roots at the bottom? It was planted with about an inch or so of roots showing. I think they look pretty neat and just wanted to know if I would be harming anything by doing this.

Oh and any advice on general care? Anything special they like? Soil type, special needs, etc, etc, etc?

Again. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

John

• stewartsjon
    10 years ago

Specifically it's Dracaena Reflexa Song of India.

Good luck repotting it, they aren't the most reliable Drac for doing so IME.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

"My kids call the Pothos a Mexican Food Plant because they are in every Mexican food restaurant we go to it seems. "

No doubt, so true!

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    10 years ago

Song of India it is. They're more touchy than their solid green cousins, but plunk it into a nice,coarse, well-drained mix, put it in bright indirect light, don't water too much - in other words, let it get ALMOST dry all the way to the bottom of the root ball (or in this case root stuff) before you water again, and it should come around for you.

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

Asleep in the gravy...
    Rofl
    What a great handle that would be!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

I imagine that would be me facedown in my plate. A full belly will put one right to sleep I hear! :D

I really do like gravyboots' id...really lends to an image if you know what I mean! lol

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I saw that too & got a chuckle.

I repotted a D. marginata about 4" higher, but don't have any experience doing it to this one to tell you about, JGW3. After a root has turned hard & woody like that though, it's not doing anything but supporting the tree, although those big woody roots can usually sprout new "working" roots if needed. I think it would look cool too.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

I've got some really large ones in the garden. They're over head height but because they're a very sprawling plant the canes would be a lot longer. But they seem to be quite a tough plant. Go great in full sun and flower regularly.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner