Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuffle

Pregnant Onion Soil Mix Question

chuffle
10 years ago

Hello all:

A little over a month ago, I found, and bought, a pregnant onion at (of all places) my local WalMart. I didn't know what it was but bought it anyway, and of course did my Internet research on it once I brought it home.

It is obvious that it likes it here, for the two babies that it had under its skin have popped, and I see that the plant is showing signs of being with child, once again - a bump is forming on one side, and seems to be growing by the day.

My question is about potting the plant on. The pot that it came home in is small, and now that the plant's foliage is growing rapidly, I fear that the plant will become unbalanced and everything will topple over. Everything that I read mentions to pot the plant in a "well draining" potting soil. I am cool with that, as I have some cactus and succulent mix. My thought is that there should be a little regular houseplant potting soil added to the mix, just for added "zip," and to mimic the soil that it is planted in from wherever it came from. Would anyone have a suggestion as to proportions of cactus soil and regular soil, that would allow for good drainage and a happy plant?

Many thanks,

Joe

Comment (1)