Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Epiphyllums

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Anyone on here grow epiphyllums? I just love my Epi. oxypetalum! It's grown quite well after getting the cuttings last summer! No blooms yet though, that might not be for awhile but who knows? :)

I have room for just one more hanging plant and if I can't find the hoya I'm looking for (lacunosa Royal Flush or Ruby Sue), I might get an epi instead. There are two hybrids that I'm interested in (American Sweetheart and Just Beautiful) but I like all colors. Where to get one? I see lots of online nurseries having epis for sale.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (19)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Hi Brad...I have some Epis-- Night Blooming Orchid and Zigzag. A few others, no ID's, and Rhipsalis.
    Very pretty, interesting plants.

Have you checked Ebay for H. lacunosa Royal Flush? I've seen lacuosa 'snowcap' but don't recall Royal Flush.
    Then again, I haven't been looking for Hoyas except Sigillatis.

Do you have any pics of your Epis? Toni

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Toni,

I still need to take one of my Epi. oxypetalum. Over on the hoya forum, people have been reporting seeing Royal Flush at Lowe's and HD. I think Joni has some for sale too. Maybe I'll get lucky and get to go there soon. Both stores are a little far to travel daily to check for plants. I've heard of Rhipsalis too. All are beautiful though!

When you said Zigzag, did you mean you have a RickRack cactus?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Brad, yep, Zigzag ='s Rick Rack..

You need to take one of yor Epi oxypetalum, where? lol

Hope you find the Hoya locally. The lacunosa you want is pretty..I Googled pictures. I've only seen/had 'snowcap.'
    Yep, they're all nice.

Gardino's sells Lacunosa 'poonsak,' but out of stock. Wonder if RF and poonsak are the same. ???

Joni might have some in stock. If not, you can always ask Carol in HI...Accentsforhomeandgarden sells a version of Lacunosa, but don't know if it's the same you want..
    It's called, Variegated Lacunosa/H. Indonesian variegated. lol, too many names. Toni

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought so! lol about my Epi oxypetalum. No flowers yet but it's getting this weird growth. Long spikes with aerial roots on them! I remember reading that it's a good sign though, because the humidity is just right :) . There is this new growth that's long and skinny and has a bronze hue at the end. First I thought I had a flower but it's too long to be a flower.

Yeah you gotta love how some nurseries name the plants they sell. I had a plain green lacunosa (from Lowe's) and it died last fall from the mealybugs. I miss the scent a lot so I'm willing to try it again if I find it. I don't think Poonsak is the same as RF. It is nice too.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Brad, do you have a pic of your Epi Oxypetalum? What colors will its flowers be?

Your growth sounds like a new leaf. A new leaf getting a lot of sun.
    My epi does the same..Leaf shape changes as it matures.

Brad, here's a pic of my NBOC..it usually blooms in July, one flower. Last summer it produced 9+. I was sooo happy.:)

Stranger, it has a small bud now..I couldn't believe my eyes, so early in the year.

{{gwi:87636}}

{{gwi:87637}}

The first pic was taken last summer..The second, w/the baby bud in April. I need to check its progress. Toni

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It should be white when my plant does bloom. It hasn't bloomed yet though. My plant hangs under the swing and it doesn't get sun until mid-late afternoon through sunset. So it gets bright indirect light all day until late afternoon (faces west-ish). I love how the buds look!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Will your flower open during the day or night? The one above, opens at night. Boohoo..the pic was taken early afternoon..
    You'll be happy when yours flowers, Brad. Once they open, WOW! lol..Toni

• kemistry
    12 years ago

I think only the night blooming ones are fragrant? I saw several hyrids that are dayblooming and they come in various color, my favorite is the one that has a glorious purple bloom. :)

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Toni, my cuttings were sent to me as Epi. oxypetalum so it should bloom at night. I can't wait until mine blooms!

Kemistry, I read on one vendor's site that some of the day blooming ones are fragrant, but I'm not sure how fragrant they are.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• elsier
    12 years ago

Hi Brad,
    My day-blooming Epi anguliger flowers have a wonderful scent.

Elsie

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Kemistry..Don't know if my Night Bloomer is fragrant, but it opens late, 'after midnight it's fully opened.' Now that you've brought this to my attention, when the bud matures, I'll check. Thanks.

Brad, are the cuttings rooted? If not, they root fast. Stick in soil, and wait.
    How tall are they? I hope you don't have to wait as long as I did..But, after seeing the blooms, it was worth the wait. Blooms are 7-10" long..The pic posted doesn't do it justice. Ironcially, it hasn't been fertilized in, oh boy, I'm embarrassed admitting this..5+ years!
    The only product added was Superthrive. lol..Toni

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes they have been rooted since I got them (I rooted them myself). It's not very tall and has never been repotted (likes to be rootbound like hoyas). I give my plant the same fertilizer I give my hoyas: Miracle Gro Tomato Fertilizer! I read something about bloom boosters not living up to their name and someone on the hoya forum said that tomato fertilizer might help your plants bloom (this was last summer). I sure have gotten new growth on my plants since I started using it!

Here is a picture of the cuttings after I potted them up (June I think is when I got them; I know it was last summer sometime when I got them):
    {{gwi:87638}}

Here they are in September of last year:
    {{gwi:87639}}

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• kemistry
    12 years ago

The flower is very fragrant Toni, please don't miss it :)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Brad...The one trunk is so thick! (in the first picture)
    Wonder how large the mom plant was. Wow.

What type of Bloom Booster do you mean? Is it sold as fertilizer?
    I've talked to a few other people who use Tomato Fertilizer and they swear by it. Is it chemical or organic? Toni

Your Epi sure put out a lot of growth in 3 months.

Kemistry..I'll check the Epi bloom/s often. I have a hard time smelling Hoya flowers too. Don't know why..Ppl say Hoyas smell like Cinnamon, Chocolate, etc, but in all the years my Hoyas bloomed, not once could I detect any smell.

But, I will check...do flowers have to be mature before they emit a scent.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Toni, lol, that's actually two trunks in the first picture, although I can see how you can mistake it for one trunk! Yes Bloom Booster is a fertilizer. The tomato fertilizer I think is a chemical. The only tomato fertilizer I use (and only have seen) is Miracle Gro. I see all different brands of bloom boosters. I did try VF-11 one time and I loved it!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Hi everybody! I grow epiphyllums, had a few of them flower for me lately. All of these are NoIDs. I have bought several with names but they probably will not flower until next year.
    Here are the ones that have flowers now. I love them for the bright colors, the huge size and the undemanding nature.
    {{gwi:87640}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

{{gwi:87641}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• wispfox
    12 years ago

Sunseeker53: Wow, the second one is amazing. Just... wow.

Thanks for sharing the photos!

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Brad, oops..Sorry about that. I rechecked the pic and now see two trunks.
    Still, they're thick for cuttings. Looks like whomever gave you the cuttings cut nearest the base..Either that, or the mom Epi is huge. lol.

Next time I go shopping I'll have to look for tomato fertilizer..By chance, do you know the NPK? There are many brands on the market, but I don't recall seeing MG.

A few more questions, hope you don't mind. :)
    Do you have other Epis, and if so, do you fertilize with Tomato Fertilzer? Also, how do you figure out dossage?

The reason I'm asking is, I have several Epis..They're fertilized with Fish Emulsion. FE is wonderful for foliage, but I don't know if it helps promote flowers.

I have VF but never used it. The reason is, I believe the instructions said not to use with other fertiliers. This frigthened me so it's sitting on a shelf. lol. I use certain fertilizers, per type of plant plus Superthrive. I don't want to OD my plants..lol..
    Thanks for your help, Brad.

Sunsucker, your flower is beautiful. What's its size? The color looks like Salmon and white. Gorgeous... Toni

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Thanks Toni!
    The flowers on my plants are on average 6 inches accross. I wouldn't worry too much about fertilizers, because these plants seem to survive and flower no matter what, even on very dried out stems.