Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teengardener1888

spider plant dying

teengardener1888
11 years ago

I put my spiderplant out two weeks ago on my front yard and is not doing well it is losing a alarming amount of leaves and so is the attached plantlet.it gets three hours of direct light and it occassinally drops to the mid fortys. it is may 19 in albany ny zone5a. there is almost no chance of frost in mid may in Albany ny. I have grown spider plant outside since I was three and have always been great at this plant. this is the first plant I ever grown. please help me

Comments (27)

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

What time of day (morning or afternoon) is it receiving direct sun?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Could you post a picture?

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

my spider plant recieves 3 hours morning sun which doesnt usually hurt spider plant. spider plants in my expierience can take direct sun all day.i might be only thirteen but i ususlly am exeptional at growing plants. some people call me a plant dictionary. and i may be able to send a pitcure but i dont know.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Don't worry about the temperature. Chlorophytum are very cold hardy, compared to most other house plants. When was the last time this particular plant was repotted or divided?

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i dont know because someone gave it to me a month ago. the only thing i did to it was water it and put it outside.this species is C.cosmosum

11 years ago

Nice gift! Does the pot have a drain hole in the bottom?

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yes it has a drainage hole but it has been raining alot the last couple of days

11 years ago

C. comosum is the correct spelling. It's a LOT easier to learn the right way to spell and pronounce the Latin names when you're young, believe me! lol

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sorry, im usually good at the latin names but they can be difficult sometimes. thanks for the correction. it is nice to know that there are so many houseplant enthustiatics out there. most of my friends mock me about my plants and even occasionally go into my yard and damage my plants

11 years ago

I'm proud of you for sticking with your love of plants. Your 'so called' friends mock you out of jealousy, probably. If they would develop an interest, too, you wouldn't get teased.

The reason I corrected you was totally because I can see your young enthusiasm...and I knew that you would take pride in having the proper Latin names for your plants.

I think that you should consider us as your mentors.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

One of the most common problems - well, two, actually - growers have with spider plants are over-watering and a high level of salt in the soil. The first thing I would make sure I had absolutely under control is watering. Spider plants tolerate being allowed to become quite dry, so it's better by far to keep them on the dry side as opposed to on the soggy side. Plants like damp, and they don't like wet. They hate having their roots suffocated by too much water in the soil, and they show their appreciation for the right mix of air and water in the soil.

For you, this translates into allowing the soil to dry down until you can feel no moisture in it. Then, is when you water ..... and water thoroughly - so the entire soil mass is saturated and water drains freely from the drain hole. If you can't water in this manner w/o risking root rot, it's a surety that your soil is a problem and should be looked at.

If you've fertilized recently, tell us what you used, how often, and how much & we'll make a guess at whether or not a high level of solubles (salts) in the soil might be a problem. Spider plants are very vigorous and quite easy to grow if you follow a few tips. Here are a few:

General care:

A) Most important is to use a soil that drains very freely. This allows you to water copiously, flushing the accumulating salts from the soil each time you water.

B) Fertilize frequently when the plant is growing well, but at low doses - perhaps 1/4 the recommended strength. This, in combination with the favorable watering habit described above, will keep soluble salts levels low, and keep levels from rising due to the accumulative effect we always see when we are forced to water in sips when plants are in water-retentive soils.

C) When watering, using rainwater, snow melt, water from your dehumidifiers, or distilled water, also eliminates the issue of soluble salts in your tap water and will go a long way toward eliminating or minimizing leaf burn.

D) If you make your own soils and use perlite, be sure the perlite is rinsed well, which removes most of the fluorides associated with it's use.

E) Allowing irrigation water to rest overnight doesn't do anything in the way of helping reduce the amount of fluoride (the compounds are not volatile), and it only helps with chlorine in certain few cases, depending on what method of chlorination was used to treat your tap water.

Best luck!

Al

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for all the advice. I have not fertilize s it at all. I never
    fertilize my spider plants or any houseplant until early to mid summer. spider plants are to only be fertilized once a year

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

you are so nice rhizo 1. thanks for sharing in my passion is it possible for you to give me a good list of houseplants for shade

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here is a photo of my plant

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

having hard time with images

11 years ago

Keep trying. What photo hosting site are you using?

11 years ago

teenage, you need to learn about the fertilization of containerized plants and rethink your strategy. If you are only fertilizing them once a year and not until summer, you're starving them. They are living, growing organisms that require dissolved elements in order to make new cells, sustain their plant bodies, photosynthesize, etc.

These plants are captive prisoners in their tiny containers, often with a poor quality potting medium. They really solely on their caretakers (us) to provide them with the elements that they MUST have in order to function. Depriving container grown plants of any kind of nutrition during the year will set them up for failure. That includes your spider plants.

What kind of plant food do you have?

Do you mean that you are interested in a list of houseplants for low light conditions inside the house? How about telling us more about the light situation...what direction do the windows face, etc.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

many of my plants get fertilized once every two weeks. i read they are to only be fertilized only once or twice during the growing
    season. overfertilization prevents the development of runners. I know were your getting at and.your probally riaght. but I only had
    this one for a month. I have had another one since iwas five and have always been successful with my stadgety. and also the place I want to put a plant is eight feet away from my window. it gets one
    hour of bright light. I know pothos will work but I want something exotic. and my spiderplant is already starting ro heal maybe it was shocked from being outside

• goddess9
    11 years ago

rhizo, so you're suggesting the OP water how often?

11 years ago

My watering advice will never follow a schedule of any kind. Here are just some of the criteria we all need to consider: species of plant, time of year, size of plant, size of plant in relationship to the container, porosity of potting medium, temperature and relative humidity, indoor or outdoor, vigor of the plant....

In other words, we should water each plant when it needs it, no more and no less. That may mean once a day for a specific plant and once a month for another.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lets see

Here is a link that might be useful: tinypic

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

click on the link in my previous post lets see here and you will find a link tinypic, it shows a photo of my plant

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here is another tinypic link to my healthier spider plant and pothos

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sorry that last link leads to nonsense from my brothers site here is the real photo

11 years ago

Good job getting the pics posted.

I don't know that this plant can recover. I'm sorry but it looks 99% dead. Is there a baby hanging off to the right? Maybe it can be saved.

These plants look good although the spider looks a little droopy, possibly from too much water/poor drainage. When you water these plants, does the water run out right away or pool up on the surface before it drains out?

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i caanot ell you the trouble i went through to get the images on this site. water never pools on the surface because there are drainage holes and it has high quality miracle grow potting mix not garden compost. i really think that this plant is saveable. the picture is alittle disorted and misleading. the plant appears to be growing in the center. have you seen my other plant photos from my dining room. there is a pothos and a healthy spider plant

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i caanot ell you the trouble i went through to get the images on this site. water never pools on the surface because there are drainage holes and it has high quality miracle grow potting mix not garden compost. i really think that this plant is saveable. the picture is alittle disorted and misleading. the plant appears to be growing in the center. have you seen my other plant photos from my dining room. there is a pothos and a healthy spider plant

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting