Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No idea what this is

Posted by aska2138 (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 21:04

Hello please help me identify this house plant. I just bought it at Home Depot and the only thing marked on the plant was that it's a low light plant. Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No idea what this is

I'm no expert, so please wait for someone else to answer also, but my best guess is a Bird's Nest Fern.

o

I think it is Bird's-nest fern (Asplenium nidus).

o

It is a Bird's nest fern. I wouldn't say it is an only low-light plant, mine is near a south facing window (no direct sun) and loves it. Just make sure you don't overwater it. And never pour water in the 'nest' in the middle!

o

As long as your home is warm (74F+) and there is good air circulation, getting some water in the crown of the plant should present no issues.

Nice looking fern you got there. :)

o

Mines is outside and gets lots of rain in the center

o

I'm not trying to be difficult, but...
I'm also somewhat skeptical of the keep-the-crown-dry mantra. That would surely be impossible to maintain in situ, and, as tg1888 mentioned, plants outside get wet.
The only way I water mine is by pouring water in the crown in stages until I get a nice flush of water out of the bottom of the pot.
Is it a rot concern?
By the way, OP, yours looks better than mine, which was a clearance rescue from Lowes.

o

Several websites advise against watering in the middle. I did it myself and I almost killed mine by overwatering/root rot. So it is well enough to water once every 2 weeks.
About ferns kept outside, you would put it in partial shade, probaly under a tree, so it won't get too much rain. Also these are epiphites so they are mostly safe from heavy rain.

o

Bird's Nest Fern is right! They can be hard to keep indoors though as they need reasonable levels of humidity. 2 of mine died, until I tried one final time by placing the 3rd in the bathroom!

o

I brought mines over winter and kept it at school and it did great!

o

triple post!

This post was edited by teengardener1888 on Mon, May 12, 14 at 10:20

o

Little glitchy, isnt it?

This post was edited by teengardener1888 on Mon, May 12, 14 at 10:21

o

I can't see the pix TG, not on either of the last 2 posts.

When I click on the tiny pic icon, it just says 'this Webpage has a redirect loop".

o

i didnt mean to put a pic on the last 2, there was a duplicate post mistake...

o

OK then sorry, never mind.

o

I don't think that's Asplenium Nidus, I think that's called Asplenium Antiquum.

The pic further down is A. Nidus, for comparison.

They can be treated the same; I don't think you need to worry about watering the crown.

o

I thought A. nidus had several different cultivars all belonging to nidus. I will say his is a bit different from mine..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here