Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ficus elastica burgundy is grafted?

Posted by bedtime none (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 21:06

I bought this plant today and I just noticed that it looks to be grafted. I didn't even know you could graft elasticas. Anyone know anything about this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ficus elastica burgundy is grafted?

The entire plant:

o

Ooooooh...I'll bet Al has a TRUCKLOAD of info on THIS topic!

Hope he sees this! :)

o

asleep_in_the_garden,

I hope so because I'd love to know more about it. I search and searched information on grafting elasticas a while back and was only able to find info on grafting ficus benjamina and other plants. I have yet to see an elastica grafted.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, May 2, 13 at 20:43

Surprisingly, elastica is sometimes grafted to understock of the hardy fig, F carica, though I wouldn't think it would be commonly undertaken. It looks like it was a cleft graft.

Al

o

Interesting. Does this make it healthier

o

My guess would be that rootstock from carica would make it hardier to the cold..?

o

teengardener1888,

I'm not sure if it makes it more healthy but perhaps. Seems this plant is producing mega leaves. Just look at this protective sheath. I've not seen one this big except in outside ficus elastica trees. Amazing! Again, I got this tree for just $30!

Right now this tree is getting around 2500 - 8000 lux of indirect light and around 25-55% humidity. Not optimal conditions by any means.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here