Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting a Ric Rac Cactus

Posted by teisa 10 (My Page) on
Mon, May 13, 13 at 21:10

I bought 6- 1.5 ft Ric Rac cactus plants that I reported into one big pot. I cut some of them and made 2 pieces instead of huge Branches. My question is how well does this cactus root? I can't really put it in a bag with is being so large. So will it root relatively well?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting a Ric Rac Cactus

It roots very well provided it doesn't rot. It's more of an epiphytic cactus and you sometimes see long stems making roots at different points just in case they get a grip on something to climb.
Cuttings do better allowed to heal over slightly first and then will root in something like orchid mix or half and half with a sandy mix. Since you've already planted yours just don't overwater it. Takes a while to form roots but I've seldom lost any.

o

Thanks Allison. Now I forgot to mention that I did allow them to callus for 24 hours before potting. This is my first Ric Rac but I've grown other cactus. The mix I used was African violet soil, bark, perilite, and a little bit of leca stones, and a dash of sand. It was extremely fast draining. I watered lightly today with superthrive. I'll leave it be for a couple weeks. TIA

o

RicRacs are very susceptible to orange rust. If it is indoors all the time, make sure you have a fan going to move the air around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here