Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyb123_gw

What is this plant?

AmyB123
10 years ago

My aunt gave me a plant, I transplanted it and its drooping & not recovering - help! I need to know what it is to know the best conditions: light, watering, etc

Comments (17)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Unless I'm mistaken(and I have been before),that's a plumeria...

• Will07
    10 years ago

Kinda looks like a plumeria although the stem is awful skinny for such large leaves.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

If it IS one that will change in time and over time as it puts on new leaves the dropping of older spent ones is to be expected so unless they all go at once or something I wouldn't panic but that's about later...meanwhile you say it's drooping any ideas why that would be? has anything changed recently regarding the possible plumeria?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

May have found help! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: click for help!

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

That is NOT a plumeria but an Euphorbia leuconeura, a young one, which means it's a succulent, and that dirt looks obviously too heavy for a succulent, and it doesnt like being overwatered. Succulents actually like to go dry before being watered.

That is a beautiful plant and one of my favorites, and now with the name you can look up what it's needs is which is very different from a plumeria from what I understand.

-flowerpottipper

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

THANKS Carmen! :)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

I was reading up on plumeria and find that they need to be at a near perfect state of not quite dried up...and constantly...in order to get blooms. Of course the net is all full of misdirection so I may've been barking up the wrong tree. Anyhoo,..I posted a link to this thread in C&S to get further help. :

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the cross-link in case there's chatter there

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

The OP's plant is Euphorbia leuconeura IMO, as FlowerPotTipper indicated.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

I must respectfully disagree somewhat about watering this specific Euphorbia. They definitely will handle much more water than most in the genus. That's not to say you can use a heavy potting mix. Doing so will invite root rot. When this one wilts its leaves, it is time to water! I do agree, as with almost any succulent, it will not tolerate long term wetness or cold temperatures and the combination of these is certain death!

The plant in the back is my stock plant. The other two are from seed from the stock plant. These grow like weeds and you will find small seedlings everywhere!

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I agree with flower pot tipper. Im am not shure those are plumeria

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Just so ya know I am NOT under that impression anymore. Comparing the leaves to pics of plumeria I'd found online was what led me to that conclusion so I went to that forum to ask the experts...who promptly sent me to C&S...where the proper info was to be gleaned. C&S aren't a strong point of mine either as I really don't collect 'em so much. Lush leafy tropical looking stuff is what trips my triggers and thus naturally it would be there that my heart goes. I have a fleeting interest in just about everything though and I love that I can come here and learn something new everyday(sometimes the hard way LOL).

So Amy,..is it too wet or too dry then?
    ....just curious. :)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hello there,

I agree it's E. leuconura, which I used to grow, think it's common name by some is 'nerve plant'. Along w/ that white veining, another of its characteristics is a square stem.

Yes, it's a thirsty plant (IIRC), but that mix is too slow draining. You could keep the same mix if you add 30-40% perlite, but C&S mix w/ added perlite would be preferable.

Also, since it's a Euph., pls. read up on the potential issues w/ their sap, I DON'T recall if this one is a problem, I never had trouble after handling it barehanded.

Ultimately, its blooms are tiny pollen speckles up & down the edges of the square stems (so pls. don't mistake that for insects should it happen).

• AmyB123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone! I appreciate your help much more than you know!!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

With all due respect, Karen, the flowers originate at the apex of the stem at the angles as you mention but not "up and down the edges." The flowers of Euphorbia leuconeurea are monoecious or complete flowers. They are self pollinating and thus produce lots of seeds. The female portion of the flower emerges first followed a few days later by the pollen carrying male portion. Depending on light and temperature, the three chambered pod will explode sending the seed to the far reaches of, well wherever they are growing. They are definitely easy to grow from seed as I have them everywhere in my greenhouse!

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I'm sure you're right Doc, clearly you know more that I abt this. It's been a few yrs. since I grew this. Really only a fuzzy memory of that polleny stuff going down the stems. I don't recall the flowering on top that you showed.

We certainly agree on what a thirsty plant this is & what a good grower I suppose, as well.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Karen, next visit to the City, I'll bring you a seedling or two.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi, no, thanks, Doc,

It's a lovely offer, but it was growing in a location that's premium space in my home. Moved it out as it was nice, but you know, one can't grow everything & I've been trying to cull the collection somewhat, not get more plants (or at least be more ruthlessly selective).

Hoyas, Sans., Haworthias, Gasteria some Crassulacae & less Euphs.

Since I grew the plant in question, I've ended up w/ abt 5 different variations of E. milii, along w/ Es decaryii & francoissi, so NO more Euphs for me, thanks!

It is a pretty cool plant tho'. I find the seedlings just charming, w/ that white veining. Its seedlings show up from time to time at my Local Indoor Gardening Society plant sale table where I often encourage folks to try them.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting