Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lumpy Ficus Roots

Posted by Joe1980 WI 4 (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 21:22

Anybody ever have an issue with ficus roots being lumpy? With repotting season looming, I decided to check out the plants that need repotting, one of which is a typical variegated ficus benjamina. I scratched down 1/2" into the gritty mix to assess the roots, and I found that every root has a bulb like shape just below the surface. This particular plant is in a 5" pot, and is being trained into a bonsai tree. I have to imagine that this problem will pretty much scrap the tree for bonsai. What do you think?

Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lumpy Ficus Roots

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, May 8, 12 at 8:56

Root knot nematodes or crown gall.

Al

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, May 8, 12 at 14:18

Unless you're just describing the normal roots of the plant, which can grow very bulbous and look a little like sweet potatoes.

Al

o

They do look like potatoes, and I suspect it is normal now that I searched a few terms on google that relate to it. Question is, what in the world do I do with it? Just lop off a "potato" or 2 each year? Or will they keep coming back?

Joe

o

They look great if you expose the roots and grow them in bonsai pots. They seem to like that.

o

My intention is to do just that, expose the roots. However, these bulbous potato roots look goofy, and to me will ruin the look of the tree. If I knew that the roots would eventually fill in and level out with the bulbs, I'd be ok with it. Is it possible to carve them down to be even with the roots, or do I need to remove them?

Joe

o

Joe, I'll try to take a picture of mine and post it later. I really like the bulbous roots. I've seen them on other ficus plants too, not just Ficus benjamina.

o

Joe, here is the link to the Ficus benjamina on Flickr. I really like the look of the exposed roots, but in the end it's a personal choice. The roots were visible when I bought the plant.

If anyone has any idea of the variety name I would be delighted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ficus with roots

o

Mine are not that thin all the way through. My goal is to expose the roots, or develope the nebari. The roots on mine start out nice, but about 3/4" from the trunk, below the soil, they have disproportionally large bulbs that look like potatoes. After doing some google searches, I found a few pics of some that look decent, so I guess I'll start exposing them, and see if they grow in. I wonder if they can't be trimmed down a bit with a razor knife?

Joe

o

Joe, they appeared much lumpier initially, but since the plant has grown some have thinned out. You probably can't see the thicker ones because of the photo, it was hard to get the light right. They remind me of dahlia tubers more than anything. The plant is at least five years old now, and the 'tubers' are getting a stilt-like appearance. I wouldn't carve them because it might be hard on the tree, but then I'm not growing my ficus as a bonsai, but a houseplant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here