Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cghpnd

a gift and I have no clue what it is

cghpnd
10 years ago

Good evening. I was given this plant (4 actually) for my birthday. They didn't come with tags. Took it back to the store to see if they could help. No luck. Please help. What is it, how do I take care of it. Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• odyssey3
    10 years ago

It's a jade plant--Crassula ovata. It's a succulent, so don't overwater and give it a well-draining soil, like Al's gritty mix.

This post was edited by odyssey3 on Sun, May 5, 13 at 21:43

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Those leaves on the plant can also root

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got it! Thanks so much! They all had this nasty soaked stuff in tbe planter box.

• odyssey3
    10 years ago

That looks like a bunch of sphagnum moss, which does hold a ton of water. You did right by getting rid of it!

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much! I found similar images on the net but it wasnt exact. Im still learning the tricks of the internet. so once again thank you! And you say they root, what does that mean? Like you can just stick it in the soil and it grows?

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

You are correct. As to how to go about doing that, I'm not one to give advice (don't want to tell you the wrong information). Just look up propagating jade plants (crassula ovata) from leaves during your research (if nobody chimes in).

Planto

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

They (leaves) seem to do best for me if they are just laying on the surface, not buried. The pics in this discussion should be enlightening. Many babies also come from partially submerging the leaves.