Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pachira (Money Tree) - Spring re-potting pics

Posted by greenman28 Nor Cal 7/8 (My Page) on
Mon, May 24, 10 at 21:36

Good evening, everyone!

I came home this afternoon to find that my Pachira had been knocked over by the wind.
Since I've been meaning to re-pot the tree for several weeks, I took the opportunity today.
I was delighted to see the thickness of the main root...which I'll be exposing a little at a time.
The mix is bark, pumice, and perlite - a dose of Osmocote, and a dash of wood ash.

I hope these images are helpful to the Pachira enthusiasts out there!

My Pachira, grown from a single leaf:
Photobucket

I'm embarrassed to show you these roots...what neglect!
Photobucket

At least there was a nice fat root waiting for me in there....
If you can't tell, I tore off a good amount of roots and blasted away the soil:
Photobucket

Root-ball - mostly perlite and pea gravel remaining....
Photobucket

The new mix:
Photobucket

Carefully re-potting, using a chop-stick to fill all the spaces betwixt the roots....
Photobucket

Watering the new mix thoroughly:
Photobucket

Full view of my Pachira:
Photobucket

Large, healthy foliage grown this Spring:
Photobucket

And the old soil - pea gravel mixed with bonsai potting soil. If not for this durable mix,
I don't think I could have let the Pachira go so long without re-potting. Thanks again to Al,
who set me on the path to soil-less container media.
Photobucket

Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pachira (Money Tree) - Spring re-potting pics

Your Pachira looks awesome Josh! I need to post updates of the new growth I have since the last prune job.

It still amazes me that yours grew from one leaf! I love the look of the one trunk as opposed to my braided one. Don't get me wrong I like the braided look too, but its nice to see it grown differently since they are mainly sold as a braided trunk.

I will post soon, I'm just having problems getting photos on my computer right now.

I hope you're doing well!

Ashley

o

Hey, Ashley! You are kind to say so, thank you!

I'm curious to see how this single trunked Pachira will continue to fatten and expand.

I am trying to root a leaf again - just to see if I can repeat the process. I'm taking
pictures this time, so that the nay-sayers won't have any nits to pick. This afternoon,
however, my sister's cat (which I'm watching while she's out of town for her birthday)
knocked over my container. I salvaged the main leaf....but who knows if there's damage.

School is winding up, seniors are eager to graduate.
All in all, life is good!

Josh

o

Hello Pachira lovers,
I also have this plant, was just reading about the care of it. My question is: where can I purchase pea gravel? I want to repot mine also. I'd also like to know if it's ok to use the MG potting soil with perlite. I had a large bucket of a mix from Al's recipes. Now its gone. Guess I feel a bit lazy about mixing more. I ran out of everything .
I think I'll try rooting a leaf too, love this plant, I also have the braided trunk,
bye for now, Carol

o

Hey, Carol!
I wouldn't use the MG potting soil, personally.
I do recommend Pumice instead of gravel these days.

If you love the plant, make the best mix available ;)

Oh, and if you try rooting a leaf, use only healthy leaves. I removed three leaves
for this experiment: two yellowing lower leaves, and one healthy, albeit deformed, leaf a
little higher up. The older leaves immediately browned, while the healthy leaf is still
green on the window-sill in a styrofoam cup (with drainage). I really hope that it
is rooting!

I'll have update pics loaded in a bit.

Josh

o

Well,
a month has passed and I am amazed by the new growth on my Pachira!

If ever was an argument for re-potting a root-bound plant, this is it! This is largest Money leaf I've seen!
And these leaves have yet to harden off! Foliage Pro and a fast, porous mix...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

Click for Auburn, California Forecast

o

Wow Josh!
That's the biggest I've ever seen too! It's beautiful!!

It certianly goes to show how important a good mix and a repot from time to time is!

Another one for me to admire from here..lol!

Have a great night!
JoJo

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 17, 10 at 20:01

..... and if Josh had simply potted up, growth would have temporarily returned to something a little closer to what the plant is capable of, only to quickly return to it's state of continual decline. Repotting and pruning the roots of your plants literally rejuvenates the plant and restores it to a state where its maximum growth potential (within the limits of other cultural factors) is possible. If he had potted up, it would have guaranteed that the plant could never grow to its potential unless and until the roots were, at some future point in time, properly attended to.

Al

o

Al is absolutely correct!

When I first joined this Forum, I didn't know much about soils, root-pruing, or re-potting.
I was laboring under the misconception that one needed to recreate a plant's environment within
the container, using rocks and organic materials like sticks, moss, leaves, and mycorrhizae.

Once I began studying Soil Composition and drainage, I realized that I needed to re-pot my plant.
But, as Alexander Pope wrote, A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....
My first porous mix was made of pea gravel (round, and too large in diameter) and Bonsai Potting Mix -
unfortunately, I didn't know at the time that nearly all bagged Potting Mixes contain Peat Moss as one
of their primary ingredients. I ended up with a soil that drained well, but left much to be desired.
Also, I was fearful of disturbing roots, so I failed to properly prune them.

After that first re-pot, my plant sulked for months. It wasn't until June - July that I started to see
new growth. However, the new growth was distorted and small. I thought this was a natural response to
the re-potting, but now I know it was not. The plant was returning to its "state of continual decline."

Now that the soil, the roots, and the fertilization have been addressed, the plant is realizing its potential.
I might have to cut a hole through the ceiling for it, but that's better than digging a hole to bury it ;)

Josh

o

Mon, Jul 19, 10 at 17:06

Lol - can I use that if I ever get the chance. Good one, Josh.

Al

o

LOL!

I was the last line was pretty funny too!

JoJo

o
RE: Pachira - Spring re-potting

Mon, Jul 19, 10 at 17:25

That's what I was referring to, too. ;o)

Al

o
RE: Pachira (Money Tree) - Spring re-potting pics/

OOPS! I forgot the word "thinking" LOL!

Oh too much fun in the heat today! UGH!

Yes Al~ I figured that...;)

JJ

o

Please do!
Thank you, you two, too! ;)

Josh

o

Hi Josh,

I'd like to repot my Pachira also. Can I confirm that you are using a mixture of pea gravel and bonsai potting soil and nothing else? What is the ratio? Thanks

o

Hi, Zen! Absolutely not! ;)

"The mix is bark, pumice, and perlite" - see pic #5 above.

I think I mixed these ingredients at, or close to, a 1:1:1 ratio.

The pea gravel/bonsai potting soil combination was the old mix.
It held very little moisture, and no nutrients.

If you need any tips on the re-potting, there are many here who will help.
I'd be more than happy to, of course.

Josh

o

Hi Josh!
You know I love stopping in on your posts. :)

I've been wanting one of these plants, but no clue as to where i'd put it. :)

JoJo

o

And I love it when you drop in! :-)

The Pachira is definitely a space-hog...it's like an umbrella open in the house.
Mine does best near an eastern/south-eastern window, no more than two feet from the glass.
When I put it outside, I make sure it's in bright shade only...or else it burns. I've kept
my plant indoors since the re-potting, as the large leaves act as windsails on the deck. Once
the roots have colonized the new mix, I'll put it out.

Josh

o

I'm usually not one to count my chickens before they've hatched, but I'll risk it...

I decided to try and propagate another Pachira from leaf, this time with pictorial documentation.
For some reason, many people don't believe me when I tell them how I grew/propagated my plant.
So, yes, there is a biased, self-satisfying In Your Face! nature to my entire experiment. ;)

I simply refuse to accept that I am the only person who has ever grown Pachira from a leaf.

Hoping to increase my chances at success, I pulled three leaves from my plant: two older, yellowing
leaves, and one healthy (albeit deformed) leaf. The older leaves browned very quickly, but the healthy
leaf has persisted. And, now, there might actually be a root escaping from the drain holes......

Rather than stick the leaf-stem in a cup of potting soil without any drainage holes (as my brother did
those many years ago), I opted for a very porous mix of bark, perlite, and scoria (red and black lava rock)
in a simple styrofoam cup with holes.

Photobucket

No special harvesting technique - just snap off a healthy leaf.

Photobucket

Snapped, like so:

Photobucket

All three leaves stuck together, exactly 4 months ago:

Photobucket

The lone survivor:

Photobucket

A root?!

Photobucket

Could it actually be a root?! Huzzah! ;)

Photobucket

Josh

o

Hi Josh!

Sure looks like a root to me..;)

Looks great! I love the look of your mix too!

Good Seeing you, love your pics!

JoJo

o

ugggh....i am so jealous josh.....i have one tat was all bogged down with glued rock and soaking soil so i rescued the thing and put it in regular potting mix with some cati soil and a pot with a dang drainage hole i dont know why these companies dont do the drain hole thing in there pots,,,anyway my baby is growing better but....it leave the whole stem is turning brown not dry but brown and dropping and one of the twisted trunks has swiveled up now what am i doing wrong i have had it about 3 month.
HELP111 funny thing i grow orchids, and African violets and cant grow this........... ughhh

o

Hey, Julie, the shriveled trunk is most likely dead, so I'd remove it.
Am I correct in assuming that your plant is several braided trunks?
Or is it a single trunk?

You did well to remove the rocks and to use a pot with drainage.
I would recommend another re-potting. What soil do you use for your
Orchids? You might have the proper ingredients on hand.

Josh

o
RE: Pachira (Money Tree)

Happy Friday, everyone!

It's been a couple months, so I thought I'd give an update on my Pachira.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

o

Great job, Josh!Thanks for the demo. Your plant is beautiful! I took a cutting off one at work. It is growing nicely. I definitely need to track down the ingredients for Al's mix. Did you order your ingredients online?

Theresa

o

Thanks, Theresa!
Good luck with your cutting!

I bought the ingredients for this mix locally.
Black Gold Pumice; E.B. Stone's fine-grade Orchid Bark;
E.B. Stone's Volcanic rock; and E.B. Stone's Perlite.

Josh

o

Good growing, Josh. Good thread also. I repotted and root pruned my Pachira this Summer. Put it out on my deck and it took off. A month ago I realized it was too big to bring back in. I did some pruning removing much of the new growth. Most of the cuttings were discarded except I did stick one leaf in an small pot with some old soil. It had had a Canna in it, which I thought died over summer. I honestly forgot about it until the wind blew some pots all over the deck. Was amazed it rooted.
Beside the cutting which rooted, the Canna came back to life sending up leaves. Now I have this odd combination in one small pot.

BTW, I put my Pachira in high light on my deck all summer. Do it every summer. It gets some leaf burn but adjusts and makes lots of growth. Possibly because I grow orchids, I like giving plants the highest light they can tolerate. Most can take more sun than we think.

This Spring, this Pachira will get cut way back as it has gotten too big.

Again, great post and photography.

Jane

o

Thanks, Jane! I appreciate your support.
And congratulations on rooting that cutting. Do you intend to re-pot it, or keep it with the canna?

I'm saddened to report that the largest leaves on my Pachira were badly sunburned about a week ago.
I left the plant out overnight, and then the morning sun blasted it. My fault entirely...
I didn't give the plant enough time to adjust.

Usually I have my Pachira on the front deck from June through September.
The wind, however, would have been too much after the re-potting, so I've kept the plant indoors
or else in deeply filtered outdoor sun. Now I've learned that Money Tree leaves will burn in my
microclimate in May and September...at both ends of the growing season.

Josh

o

I never expected it to root, so yes, I need to separate them. I'm waiting until the Canna gets more leaves. I thought it was dead but it sprung to life. I don't want to disturb its roots.

I really don't need another Pachira but will pot it up. BTW, I burn the leaves each spring when moved outside. They recover very fast because quick growth due to the higher light. The small cutting was left under a table and forgotten so the one leaf was spared. Hope yours makes it.

Pachira/Canna are now out in full sun until temps drop (which they have been doing).

Jane

o

I'm pretty sure it'll be fine, once it discards the damaged leaves.....
in fact, I might just remove the leaves, hit the roots with some fertilizer,
and set the Pachira out in bright shade. I have another month of warm weather.

Pachira is definitely a space hog, and it's difficult to justify having more than one -
unless one has copious room!

Josh

o

What a beautiful plant Josh and so green..

Great job as always!

How many plants do you have anyway and where do you put them all?

Mike

o

Thank you, Mike!

I'm a little hazy on the total plant count....but it must be over 50 at this point....
The majority just hang out on windowsills once they come in.

Josh

o

Report!

Yesterday was a bit cloudy, so I decided to re-pot the Pachira leaf that I've been rooting.

Let there be no question now: rooting Pachira by leaf is a completely viable method of propagation.

Reflections: great gritty mix, but I won't be using styrofoam cups again.

Photobucket

Josh

o

The Green Lady stretches out her hands! ;-)

Hello all! I wanted to provide an update on my Pachira, but didn't want to start a new Thread.

Here she is....still looking a bit ragged from the late-season sunburn last year. I can't wait for the new leaves
to enlarge, so that I can scrap the damaged older leaves.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

o

How long did it take for the leaf to get a woody trunk and start looking like a tree?

Can I do this with a regular North American tree leaf? lol

o

Hey, Mojave, depends on the North American tree... ;-)

My Pachira started to turn woody after about two years. Each year, the lignification
creeps higher and higher up the trunk.

Josh

o

Wow! Josh your plant is amazing. I have 5 that I unbraided all from one plant. I never knew you could grow it from a leaf. I have a few questions about propagating from a leaf. How did you come up with this? It takes 2 years for it to grow woody like a tree? How does it grow from the leaf? Does it branch out from the stem? Do you think the leaf would grow in moist sand and once roots start to grow have it transplanted to potting soil? And one more question, how moist do you keep your leaf cuttings?

BTW Every summer I put my plants in almost complete full sun and almost all the mature leafs die but they are quickly replaced. After about a month you would never knew what had happened. Mine doesn't seem to harmed by cold nights. I'm taking mine outdoors in a week or two when the nighttime lows are 33-35 or higher lol and I take them in around thanksgiving. I have found that a few light short frosts are not lethal to this plant.

T.J.

o

Lol - good point.

I was thinking Maple as an example. It's funny that you've been doing this because recently I was thinking "well if you can grow a new plant from leaves of so many other plants, why wouldn't it work on a tree?"

o

Hi Josh,
So why not a Styrofoam cup again?

Plant looks great! Love all the little 'finger' new leaves!

JoJo

o

Hello!

JoJo, the white Styrofoam reflected light and acted as an insulator, I believe, that slowed the process.
I've noticed that pepper seedlings haven't grown as well in Styrofoam cups, too...so two strikes, and I'm
not going to risk a third.

Mojave, I don't think you can grow a maple from a leaf...maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.
Pachira is a tropical wetland tree, and so it makes sense that a broken/fallen piece could find purchase and
root in the moist floodlands of South/Central America. Deciduous trees lose leaves, so I must assume that the
structures are different. I'm no botanist, of course, just musing out loud. If proven wrong,
I'd be more than happy to admit my error on this point! ;-)

T.J. thanks!
Well, the story goes like this: one night, my drunken brother attacked his Pachira and bit off a leaf.
Then he decided to stick it in a plastic cup of wet potting soil. He gave it to me, and I kept it in that
cup on a window-sill. The leaf remained green, and so I didn't throw it out. Eventually it began to grow.

The roots grow from the base of the petiole, the long "stem" to which the leaflets are attached.
If you look at a leaf, you can see the base is swollen where it connects to the trunk. If you look at the
trunk of my Pachira, you can see that the base is swollen at the soil-line. That's what the base of the leaf
looks like once it becomes woody (lignified). Basically, my entire plant is like an oversized leaf with the
base growing down into the mix.

I don't recommend sand. I like a porous, bark-based mix that can be kept moist without being soggy.
I keep the mix moist at all times while the leaf is rooting.

Josh

o

Hi Josh,
That's not the answer I was thinking i'd get. LOL!
I figured you'd say it was because you couldn't see the roots forming. ;-)
I use a lot of Styrofoam cups for starting seeds. Just filled 6 the other day with gourd seeds. lol. They do have a lot of blue on them (circle k soda cups) I wonder if it's enough to not slow down the germination.

Thanks!
JoJo

o

Terrific thread. I took the easier route and cut the head off one branch and stuck a small section in the dirt with the large plant. Photobucket

Less than a month it leafed out:Photobucket

When the weather warms, I'll put it in its own pot.

Jane

o

Propagating Pachira can pose difficulties, yet it's well worth the effort...besides, what have we to lose?
A home-grown Pachira is something to be proud of, and a great gift for those who have enough room!

Part of the leaf-stem on my rooted leaf is beginning to brown, so I'll watch it closely for when the
lignification begins to occur - and I'll make a note for interested parties. I wish I'd paid more attention
the first time...but I didn't know what I was
doing back then.

Josh

o

Interesting ways of propagation. One that uses only a leaf and no stem and one that requires stem and no leaf!

Hey Josh I plan on trying your method this spring so I appreciate your detail! If it isn't to much of a inconvenience I would love pictures showing the development of the wood and new leaf growth. Thanks!

T.J.

o
please help!!!

Can someone PLEASE help me?
My beautiful Pachira has become a sickly, drooping plant. I don't know what to do to it to perk it up. The leaves look healthy, it is just extremely limp.. I am very upset. When I first got it, it was beautiful and continued to thrive for almost a year! Now it looks so horrible...
Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is a link that might be useful: Pachira

o

Hola, Hermosa!

Tell us about your plant?
What kind of soil-mix, how much light, and how often do you water?

In the past month, my Pachira has grown a foot and is putting out several leaves.
The other day, I set it outside in the shade for a few hours, and the top went limp.
I brought it back indoors, watered it, and the following morning it was erect again.
New and pliable growth, plus warm temperatures, might have a tendency to bend.

Tell us more and perhaps we can diagnose the issue.
It doesn't look too bad from here, though ;-)

Up front, I can say that wet soils present the most
common problems with Pachira.

Josh

o

Wow... Glad I hit this thread. I learned a lot about Pachira. I just always figured people treated it as a novelty Money Tree and moved on. This one is my lone survivor from a Money Tree years ago.

Because I have cats, I can't bring it into the house. I can prevent them digging into the dirt but I can't stop them from chewing the leaves. It goes into the greenhouse every winter. What happens is that all the leaves fall off and then they just grow more leaves at the top when spring comes around and I put it back outside on its step. hehe.

Now I'm sorely tempted to try a few leaves to see if I can start a second plant.

o

Oh, nice! Look at that thick bulb of a trunk! That's why I prefer the single-trunk specimens.

Next year, just before it re-foliates, you might consider pruning the trunks lower to concentrate
the grow in a denser fashion. Who knows, those branches might even branch again? Awesome.

Josh

o

It is an idea. I suppose it's getting very tall. When the tip (the middle thing sticking out) got burned by frost, I thought the plant was pretty much dead so I was surprised to see two branches pop out after. I didn't think they could be cut down or anything. hehe. I suppose if I cut the two down, would they root if I stuck them in a pot?

o

Oh, yes, they'll root well.
I've rooted leaves, so the vital growth-tip should root even more easily :)

Josh

o

Well, it's been nearly a year since I re-potted, and the Pachira has grown a whole lot.
Now that the maples have leafed out, I've moved my tree onto the front deck where it receives
dappled sunlight. It's been outside two nights, and so far so good, even with temps in the mid-40F's.

I apologize for the poor quality of the picture, but I think you'll get the idea.

Photobucket

Josh

o

Hi Josh!
I don't know how I missed this. ? lol..
But now that I'm here..It looks great! Growing strong! I can't get over the size of the plant now!
And the fact that it doesn't topple over ;-) It's great with the right mix and care, a plant can be in a smaller pot and grow so strong!

What is that next to it? It looks like a baby pine tree. How cute!

Thanks for sharing the update! Always look forward to them!
JoJo

o

Hi Josh! wowoow

Where was I when you posted this? I can't beleive I missed it. It looks much bigger. I love that tree so much that I almost bought one. But, but, I need to make sure I have room for my Avacado tree when it comes in this fall.

Yes. That looks like a little looking pine tree.
Thanks for keeping us updated buddy!

Mike

o

Thanks, JoJo and Mike! ;-)

You're both right...it's a little pine tree that I sprouted last year.
It's a Jeffrey Pine from up in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Grows slowly.

These Pachira demand a lot of space for sure...not a small houseplant at all!
By the way, I had to bring the Pachira back indoors the next day...
too much cold rain and wind.

Josh

o

I just got one of these!

I repotted in the gritty mix immediately and have it sitting in east facing window right now.

I hear these like to stay on the dry side? If it is in the gritty mix, should i still wait until the media is nearly bone dry? Do you water more than once a weekly in your gritty mix? For summer, is 1/4 strength FP at every watering a good regimen?

o

Hey, Oneleaf!

Keep the mix moist while the Pachira is establishing roots.

During the Winter, I treat it more like a succulent. But right now, I water every 3 - 5 days or so.
I think that FP regimen is fine. I fertilize once a week, which is much easier for me.

Josh

o

Thanks Josh,

I have been watering every 2-3 days since the Gritty Mix dries so fast for awhile after repotting. I think the dry bark sucks all the water out of the DE and it takes a couple weeks for the bark to reach a state that it contributes to moisture retention rather than defracts.

Seems these trees like the outdoors so I will put it in the front porch (NE facing) after the roots become more established.

o

They do like the outdoors, but beware the sun!

Pachira leaves will burn and fall off if introduced to sun too quickly.
I keep mine beneath a large maple that shades the Pachira throughout the day.

Josh

o

An update on my pachira. ;) I moved it out to get some shade during the insane heat wave that was pushing through here!

I tried following the example of breaking off the leaves and sticking them in a pot. The older leaves fell off and the main stalk seemed to stay green.. then one day it just died off overall without growing anything. I'll have to try again later once the heat isn't so bad.

o

hi greenman28
let me introduce you to my Pachira. I bought here around 4 months ago
my question is what to do with those small branches on the base of the truck should i Keep them or trim them and try to propagate as advised in the topic?
Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Dragonstone,
thank you for the wonderful update on your tree!
My apologies for not commenting sooner...for some reason, I'm no longer receiving updates
to my Threads. This always seems to happen when GardenWeb gets new advertisers.

Welcome, Khourshed, and thanks for joining in! Your braided Pachira is one of the
nicest braided specimens that I've seen. The braiding is tight, uniform, and seems healthy.
I would leave the growth at the base, but if you want to propagate the leaves make sure
to snap off the entire leaf petiole (don't snip/cut them off).

I do have a concern about the soil, however. It looks very water retentive, and I fear
that leaves will begin to yellow and brown during the Winter months. It will be difficult
to water properly and allow to dry out.

As you know, I prefer a loose mix that can be flooded during the Summer, but dries out
well during the Winter. I treat Pachira like a tropical in the Summer and like a succulent
in the Winter.

Josh

o

Josh, thanks for your input. I bought it from the nursery a year ago.
you are right since my post the leaf start to look less green with a lot of leaf dropping. So with the help of my wife I did replace the soil
I do not think i would find soil mix which is recommended here in the topic.
So what i did i replaced the soil with mix of peet moss + pot soil + Hydroton Clay Pebbles (All made in Germany)
No water post transplant
i will try to keep her dry

o

Hello again!
I did not get a message in my email alerting me of a response. As far as the potting soil is concerned, I have no clue. I purchased it from Ikea last year and it was BEAUTIFUL Now I am down to 2 branches and I believe one is dead :(

Is there anything I can do to bring him back to health? I read something about a pebble bed?
Thanks!!

o

Hello, Hermosa! ;-)

You won't receive notification of a response at this website, unless you create the Thread.
And, in fact, eventhough I did create this Thread, I am no longer receiving notifications, either :-(
After a certain amount of time, I guess GardenWeb's service just goes to crap. Who knows...

A year ago would have been the time to salvage your plant...but maybe there is still hope.
The dead stalk is a goner. Have you read through the very specific advice that I've shared with others?
All the information is contained in this Thread. Forget about a pebble bed for now.

Like I've told others, your plant needs to be re-potted at the appropriate time (mid-Summerish),
and it needs to be put into a fast-draining soil. After that, a regular fertilization schedule
needs to be established. Then, just hope for the best.

Josh

o

Thanks Josh!!
I just noticed yesterday that one branch has sprouted two new fronds!
I also have a random frond at the bottom of the stalk. I am hoping this is a sign it is not a complete "goner".
You say to re-plant in mid-summer... so around July?
I have no clue when it comes to re-potting. Therefore, could you recommend a beneficial soil? Thanks!

o

Sure!
I recommend using a mix similar to the one I'm using :-)

Mid-Summer, right around the third week of June.

Josh

o

So glad I found this thread!

I also have a money tree I purchased from Ikea about a year ago.
It has done a number of strange things and I'm wondering if I can get some answers...

I repotted it as soon as I brought it home in standard potting soil. It grew and grew - was doing great. Then, one day, I decided to prune it because there were just so many leaves I thought it might be overloading itself. Took off about 1/3 of the leaves.
Then, in the following week, all remaining leaves turned yellow and died!

Since then (a few months have passed) some more leaves have grown back. However, many of them are quite deformed with white/translucent spots all over them.

Again, it is in regular potting soil (which I see now is probably not the best for the plant) and has only been repotted once since I bought it, about a year ago. It sits just below the window in an extremely sunny, south-facing room.

Any help would be appreciated!!
Maren

o

Hello, Maren, can you take a picture of your plant? I can't really visualize what you're describing.

In general, I would say re-pot the tree in about two weeks into some quality potting mix -
small bark (orchid bark), coarse perlite, and something porous like Pumice, Scoria, Turface, etc...

Josh

o

Thanks Josh! I will definitely re-pot it in the next few days. Would you say the next pot should be about 2x the size of the one now?

I'm posting a photograph of one of the leaves, let me know if you have any thoughts...

Thanks again!
Maren

o

Hello!
This looks like pest damage, perhaps when the leaf was developing?

I don't know what size the current pot is, so I can't say how large the next should be.
These plants can grow in fairly small containers. Of course, you'll get bigger, faster
growth if you use a larger container.

Josh

o

I'm completely new to gardening and I now own 2 Pachira's, which I love. These are my first 2 plants and I want them to thrive. :) The information in this thread and others have been really informative and I'm hoping to make some changes to help them out.

Change 1 - New Soil.
I've been using an indoor mix I bought at Home Depot, can't remember name but I'll check it when I get home later combined with Oscomote. I believe the soil is holding on to the water leading me to overwater the plants.

1 of them that was extremely healthy and vibrant has a couple leaves that are brown at the tips which I've linked to below. I have only been watering it once a week, but silly me, I put rocks over the soil to help lock in moisture. I would put my finger on top and it felt dry so I'd water it. Now I know to insert a dry stick to check. I did this morning and it's still wet. Plus I also notice that the bottom of the stems going into the soil look wet even though I haven't watered it for a few days now.

Additionally, I think that plant has shore flies. I've noticed a few little bugs in there that look similar to fruit flies. I'm not sure if this is the cause of the leave tips turning brown, but the leaves also look limp now.

At least that plant had a hole in the ceramic pot to drain the water out. The 2nd pachira doesn't have a drainage hole, so I know I need to fix that.

I think if I repot with a new mixture it should solve the pest issue and the overwatering. Would this be a good mixture for the plants (I'd rather pick up the majority of the items at Home Depot if possible:
- Miracle Grow Perlite (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100355951/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=perlite&storeId=10051)
- Better Gro Orchid Bark (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202045624/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=orchid+bark&storeId=10051)
- NAPA Diatomaceous Earth Absorbent part 8822
- Osmocote

I would mix all of the above in equal parts except for the Osmocote which I'd just use a capful.

Please let me know. I'd rather repot them sooner than later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brown Leaf Tip

o

Hello, Distressed!

The brown tips don't look too bad, and this is pretty common on Pachira.
The re-potting into a proper mix should help eliminate any issues with pests (fungus gnats),
overwatering, and salt build-up (from tap water and fertilizer).

Your ingredients sound good. For the bark, you want to screen out the fine dust that is
under 1/16 of an inch, as well as the pieces that are larger than 1/4 of an inch.
The Napa and the Perlite should both be screened to remove the dusty particles under 1/16
of an inch. This will maximize aeration and reduce the likelihood of overwatering.

I would slightly alter your formula to include more Perlite and less Napa.
I will see if I can ask Al about the ratio.

Josh

o

Thank you for the quick reply and the tip about the bark.

I was just at Home Depot browsing around and I saw this Dendobium mix (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202045626/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=Dendrobiums&storeId=10051)

It has lava rock, western fir bark, hardwood charcoal and coarse perlite. If I add some of the Osmocote and some of the NAPA, would that be a good environment? Or do I need to pick up additional perlite in addition to what it comes with?

P.S. The soil I've been using does contain peat moss, and it "locks in moisture 30% more than regular soil". Ouch! But maybe the Osmocote is helping me out for now until I get to repot :)

o

Orchid Mix would work in a pinch...not perfect, but better than most other pre-bagged mixes.
My only concern is that the bark would be too large, but you could always screen out the biggest
stuff. Can you get a pic of the mix? Maybe peek into a bag?

Josh

o

I'll go check later on today. I think I found a better solution, and would like your recommendation.

At, http://www.repotme.com/orchid-mix/SelectABlend.html , I can customize a blend up to 12 scoops. Keeping in mind I already have the Oscomote, what would you recommend I pick up from there? I was thinking:
- 2 scoops medium fir
- 2 scoops medium orchiata monterey bark
- 3 scoops sponge rock medium (perlite)
- 1 scoop turface
- 2 scoops pumice rock
- 2 scoops small lava rock

They have so many ingredients there that look interesting to me, but I have no idea if it'll work well with Pachira. If you were picking up ingredients from them for your Pachira, what combination would you choose? Your expertise would be very much appreciated :)

o

Oops sorry. Should've checked price before posting...wasn't expecting $38 price tag on a blend.

o

Hello! Great ingredients, but way overpriced.

I like Fir bark, coarse Perlite, and small Lava rock.

Josh

o

I'll be repotting this weekend. I checked out the Dendobium mix at Home Depot and the bark pieces were too big. However, I have access to a Vitamix, so I'll fish out the bark pieces and give it a whirl in there to chop it down, but not too small. I'm pretty bad with measurements, but I'm thinking each bark piece should be about the diameter of a nickel?

Then I was planning on using a standard strainer to get all the small particles of bark and Perlite out.

So the mix will most likely be 1:1:.5:.5 - bark, perlite, lava rock, charcoal and a couple scoops of Oscomote.

What'd you think?

o

Howdy!
I re-potted my Pachira yesterday, and I will create a new Thread for the pics later today.

For the bark, you want pieces in the 1/8 - 1/4 inch range - in fact, that is the size-range
you want for all of your ingredients - bark, perlite, lava rock, and charcoal. Once you have
mixed a test-batch, water it to see how it drains and holds moisture, and then please post
a pic. That way you will get lots of feedback before committing your plant to the mix.

Josh

o

I am considering re-potting my pachira tree, but it looks like this is not the time of year to do so. I have had my tree for two years and it receives indirect light in the corner of a room. Just recently, the large leaves on one of the major branches have started to turn brown. I am not sure how to save it, and wonder, after two years, why it is starting to die.

o

Move it into brighter light first of all. As much light as you can.
Secondly, plants that aren't re-potted will eventually circle into decline.
Wet, compact potting soils are typically a death-sentence for these plants.

How often do you water and fertilize? And how big is the pot?

Josh

o

So glad I stumbled across this old thread! Al & Josh, ya'll are just an incredible source of information about many of my houseplants! I keep coming across you both over & over in the archives & getting amazed! I, too, have a single trunk pachira. I posted some concerns in a new thread & had someone tell me that it's an unreliable plant, & to just hack the top of it off (it's getting quite tall, at about 5 ft, & I think I just need to stake it with a taller pole)

I don't think it's an unreliable plant, it's done very well for me over the years. I think maybe it just needs some better potting mix when I repot soon & a better support. I have renewed faith in my pachira & am glad that I've found such a wealth of knowledge :)

Here is a link that might be useful: My Post on my Pachira

o

Thanks, Natasha, for the kind words!

Whoever thinks this is an unreliable plant isn't growing it right, I daresay! This plant is tolerant of various lighting, soil, and watering conditions...and it is predictably vigorous. When given a well-draining and durable mix, regular fertilizer, and proper light, it becomes a massive plant in short order.

Josh

o

Hi everyone,

I'm glad to have found this thread, there's so much useful information and a lot to catch up on, so thanks for that.

I've had a Pachira Aquatica for about two months now and I just want to learn as much as possible about how to care for it in the most optimal way.

As it is right now, I seem to be experiencing a mixture of things that some people have mentioned on this thread and others. As you can see from my photobucket slideshow new leaves are growing, and quite a few of them, but a lot of the larger ones are going brown/yellow, a couple have fallen off and the more recent leaves have grown and gone a bit wrinkly.

http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/pachaqua/slideshow/

Reading this thread I'm pretty sure I need to re-pot the plant as it's still in the soil it was in when I bought it from the garden centre. I've been watering once a week, not with lots of water, but with a decent amount, only when I've felt it to be dry. Again, after reading this thread I'm wondering wether or not I might be over-watering it slightly and should maybe try watering it every 2-3 weeks instead? I've misted the leaves every 2 weeks, but I'm not sure on how much that helps.

In terms of light it has been placed in the middle of a large room where it gets indirect light from both sides. The room has very large windows so it gets really bright. I've now moved it towards an east-facing window as you can see on the images. Spring has just arrived here in London so if you could give some advice on how to care for it in this period and the summer time that would be much appreciated.

Feels like I've might've missed some information but can't think of it right now so I'll round up my post here.

As you can see the plant is growing and dying at the same time which seems like a natural cycle but would be great to hear your opinions once you've had a chance to look at the images.

Thanks and all the best!

Nico

o

Greetings, Nico!

I agree, your plant needs more light...as much as London can offer, that is ;-) I huddle mine as close to an east/southeast window as possible, and then move it into outdoor bright shade once the weather warms sufficiently.

It is natural for the older leaves to yellow and die-off as new growth comes in, but the older leaves should hold for at least a season.

Re-potting is highly advised, once we near the Solstice (fastest recovery from the stress of messing with the roots).

Josh

o

Repotted into smaller pot and fast draining media: orchid bark, bonsai soil, fortified light soil (logees) and top dress. Before plant kept yellowing, like poor, pot was to big, and soil stayed moist. It was in partial afternoon sun in my bedroom. So now it looks like this, I pruned, which its showing fast new growth, but I have it in my jasmine room which gets morning sun. Media is extremely fast draining which keeps it on dry side and I use deer park water. So I'll update when progress shows :) oh and it was braided but they seemed to die off, I pulled the dried stems off, as now only 3 left which I think will end up being 2 soon?!

o
RE: Pachira (Money Tree) - Water rooting station

These cuttings in the bottle (money tree stems) are from my plant at work. It's getting to big for my desk so what we all do is take cuttings and place it in a cup of water. Funny you see Everyone do this at work, with all out plants, and we bring it home once roots. I work in a computer room where: 24/7 AC on, flourescent light, and its amazing how good plants grow

o

Here are the stems that was rooted from water now planted. It has long roots and I potted using same media as I did in the previous photo containing; orchid bark, bonsai soil, fortified soil, and bigger orchid bark pieces as too dress. This plant is sitting on 2nd floor of living room where it gets morning sun & some reflected afternoon sun direct. These leaves grew big while in water so I hope it grows better in my house :)) end of may temps are oddly in low 73"degrees here in Maryland it's usually in 80's. not complaining I love having windows open :) has anyone else potted stem cuttings I money tree with success? The pics in beginning of forum that show in the cup is the first I've seen and wondering if he has any updates on how his stem cutting is doing?

o

This is where the potted stem cutting will live :) living room next to my TV and 2 big window on the left side. Here rubber tree & avocado plants live as well

o

Hello!

I'm getting ready to chop my Pachira very soon.
The cutting that I took last pruning is growing new leaves at the moment, and I can certainly get an update. In the mean time, here's my main tree on the front deck.

Josh

o

And here is the top-cutting that I propagated from the last pruning. It was cut May 24th. Once the current leaves mature, I will re-pot and examine the roots.

o

Wow I love the 1st pic your tree is big and healthy. Your 2nd photo of stem cutting is growing fast!! Nice :))

o

Thanks! :-)

Josh

o

I finally did it....

I may have killed the tree, but I sure hope not. I have the back-up plant, though, so all will not be lost.
Here are a couple pics. The first isn't very clear, but it's to show the carnage. The second and third pic
just show more of the trunk. Now we'll wait a few weeks and see if there's any bud formation.

If this works, I'll feel much more confident giving pruning/chopping advice.

photo DSCN2903.jpg  photo DSCN2904.jpg  photo DSCN2906.jpg

Josh

o

Oh wow you pruned it hard and I wouldn't worry about it. It'll grow back most likely fuller than before ; can't wait too see :)

o

Yeah, I've been threatening to prune it hard for several years...but I never had the courage. Now that I have the back-up growing, I figured I'd give it a shot. I'll give it another three weeks before I start to worry... ;-)

Josh

o

(duplicate post)

This post was edited by greenman28 on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 18:35

o

Hi everyone! I've been such a lurker on this site for the past year and my recent attempt to propagate my pachira has finally spurred me to get an account and talk to everyone.

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for your invaluable advice concerning plant care. This site really is my "go-to" when one of my 25 or so plants are struggling or seem to have a need past basic care. This time, obviously, I'm needing some advice on propagating my pachira, and I was hoping for some advice from greenman28.

Before I ask, let me tell you about my plant. Last October, I bought a braided pachira from a well known "big box store", not knowing what the plant was, but totally in love with the braided trunk and the large foliage. When I bought it, one of the 5 trunks looked unhealthy, so I made my first ameteur pachira owner mistake... I repotted the 3 1/2 foot tall plant into a 16" pot in Miracle grow moisture control potting soil. I figured it was tropical in nature and would appreciate a moist soil mix like a lot of my other tropicals prefer. I didn't even disturb the rootball in hopes that less disruption in the plant in a season I shouldn't have reported anyway would hinder growth less. That was mistake #2. Had I taken the chance of severely disrupting the plant out of season, I probably would have realized both that the rootball was far smaller than I anticipated (and, therefore, needed a smaller pot rather than a larger one) and that a good portion of the 5 braided trunks had root and trunk rot due to being overwatered at the store.

Whatever the case may be, I decided to move it inside for the winter although coastal Texas has fairly mild winters (this last one was far more mild,yet longer lasting than the typical south Texas winter). After about a month, it continued to decline and developed what I soon discovered was fungus gnats. I was pretty sure it wasn't getting the light requirement for a plant it's size and needed to remove it from my other plants so they didnt get infected as well, so I moved it out on my east-facing covered front porch where it would get some direct morning sun, but mostly ample indirect sunlight, and I basically neglected it for a while. My thought was that fungus gnats were from overwatering and the trunks were slowly dying anyway... It probably had a bad case of root rot and I couldn't figure out how to save it other than to just allow it it dry out. Winter was mild enough that it sustained the strongest 2 trunks, but I lost the rest of the plant. I suscessfully dried it out appropriately through the winter and was able to get rid of the fungus gnats.

Spring time came and the healthiest trunk put on over a foot of new growth but the second trunk seemed to still struggle. It was difficult to remove the dead trunks because there were far more dead than living and the one trunk that was really healthy seemed to struggle to support the weight of its massive foliage due to the curves in it due to being previously braided. After research (ant a lot of help from this particular site and the propagation examples greenman28 gave in his previous posts), I decided it was for the best health of the plant if I repotted into a better mixture (as described above by other posters) and pruned the plant.

I did exactly that last night because I heard the pest time to pot and propagate was around the end of June (summer solstice). In unpotting the remaining two trunks, I realized that the struggling trunk was failing to grow because of trunk rot (it was completely dead for the 1st six inches of the trunk above the soil!), so I cut the entire bottom of the plant back to healthy wood. The healthier trunk was astounding. The main root just looked like a continuation of the trunk into the soil for a good 9 inches, but had many healthy tiny roots as well. The total rootball was about twice the size of a softball when it was loosely bunched together. I chose to repot in a much smaller pot, about an 8" I think, which still allowed a good 1"-1 1/2" around the sides for soil. I also cut back the strongest one of the two branches on my healthier trunk, both to make the plant less top heavy and to propagate the top 12"-15" in the same pot to fill out the lower parts of my plant better. Also in the same pot, I added the 18"-24" top cutting of the less healthy trunk. They all seem to fit snugly but comfortably because I made a point to put the cuttings right up next to the original plant to help them keep from toppling over and out of the pot (both cuttings have 4-6 healthy mature leaves and great new-growth tips) because of the constant coastal winds. Does this pot seem to small for the new growth I'm hoping for?

Also, I had to trim a few large but very strong and healthy leaves off and had heard (and read specifically in greenman28's posts) that pachira can also be propagated from leaf cuttings. I thought it would be absolutely awesome to create my own tree from a few leaves, so I stuck them in a vase of water temporarily. I have a few questions, though, because there seems to be very little information available about propagation from leaf cuttings. I've heard that leaf cuttings can be put in water for a couple weeks until root nodes begin to appear, which helps it to root more successfully when put in moist potting media. Is there any actual truth to this or is this just another tropical plant misconception? Also, after removing the leaf and potting it, what is the best light regimine? The light it was regularly used to while still on the original plant was full sun in the cooler morning hours before 11 and shaded and dappled sun for the rest of the day. Should I shade the leaf plants more while they develop roots or should I give it the same sun it's used to to help promote growth?

o

Repost

This post was edited by momma4285 on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 16:50

o

Repost

This post was edited by momma4285 on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 16:48

o

Repost... Sorry

This post was edited by momma4285 on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 16:46

o

Hi Mama4285,

The pictures I posted above (lilce51286) are exactly what I do at work: cubical a we all have jars or cups where we take pieces of other plants ie. stems, leaves whatever and put it in the filled cup I water. Lighting is basic office light, roots develope we have the option of keeping it in the water or potting it up in soil. Whatever yours preference although soil helps plants grow stronger lol. My money tree stem cuttings pics is what I did at home, which is the exact same way I do at work, EXCEPT lighting: I use regular bathroom light or keep it on my kitchen breakfast bar. Both of these get natural reflected (very low) light but when I flip the switch it'll get the over head light from the light fixtures of the bathroom or kitchen. I'll post another pic of my kitchen area where I'm actually water rooting more avocado. But all my pics show what I did by the use of rooting in water. Then I moved into a pot an I got a pic of where I have my money tree. I'll post a new one right now since its still light here but a storm is approaching

o

This pic is today where it's cloudy due to a thunder storm and the money tree still gets light, just not as bright as my above pic which is a on a normal sunny day, and the Sun is full blast. Front area of my house so it'll get full morning sun an afternoon-evening reflected sunlight since sun modes to the back of the townhouse

o

This pic is today where it's cloudy due to a thunder storm and the money tree still gets light, just not as bright as my above pic which is a on a normal sunny day, and the Sun is full blast. Front area of my house so it'll get full morning sun an afternoon-evening reflected sunlight since sun modes to the back of the townhouse

o

o

Here is my breakfast bar with kitchen lighting and on a normal day it'll be brighter since the windows are on both sides. It's an open floor plan but I put a glass of water, cuttings, and sit it anywhere. Just not direct sun because the clear glass turns green from alge growth an hard to keep clean. So it does get partial or reflected light and I'll post that for my last pic of water rooting avocado lol when I get to work I'll remind myself to take pics of my desk where you'll see an array of cups filled with plants and has many water roots. I've never had a problem with taking the water rooted cuttings and transplanting them into soil.

o

The storm is gone and sun is back to normal shining bright

I'm in zone 7
East coast Baltimore MD

o

Hello!

Momma, welcome! Yes, you've learned now what I often tell folks when they purchase a braided Pachira...choose the healthiest trunk and re-pot it by itself - because it probably won't be long before Nature makes the choice for you ;-) Well, sometimes the braid does survive intact, but it sure isn't the norm.

For propagating the leaves, I advise you stick them into moist soil immediately, then put them on a window-sill and wait, wait, wait. The reason there isn't much information about propagating from leaves is because so few have done it - as far as I knew, I was the only one with a leaf-grown Pachira back when I started growing these. I even recall a "big name" in the gardenblog community telling me that it couldn't be done.

Lil, thanks for helping out with those pics :-)

Oh, and good news, after a week or so a bud formed at one of the nodes near the recent cut on my Pachira. She's going to live after all, but only one new leader...as expected. This encourages me to cut her down even lower next time!

Josh

o

This pic is from June 13th - a day or two after I spotted the growth emerging from this old leaf-node.

o

Amazing how fast these plants grow and exactly the only place I found info about leaf propergation was on this forum. Besides here at my job trial an error but felt like a kid in a candy store once I seem detailed pics of how others took leaf/stem cuttings!! Here is my desk w/my newest cutting I'll be giving this to my mom or sis once roots form.

o

One thing I'm doing right now in my grow area where I keep my seedlings: I have my original money tree the pic is already posted that's braided w/only 2 stalks left & I planted a stem cutting in the same pot. I got this now under grow lights, I was wondering if there was a way to encourage root growth?! The 2 stalks have VERY VERY small roots but the stem cutting I didn't water root this time. I wanted to see how long it'll take to grow just sticking it into soil. I'll have to post a pic later on but I Honestly don't know how it's surviving but guess it is. Stalk is hard not mushy & new growth is happening

o

Hey!
excellent drainage is what promotes the most copious root-growth. Flood, drain, flood, drain. You might also try using weeping willow water.

Josh

o

Thanks Greenman!!

o

Sorry it took me so long to get back... 5 kids, 3 pets, and 20-some-odd plants keep me super busy. Thanks for all the great advice from both of you! My pachira is doing pretty great (I'm proud to report!) but the leaf cuttings still seem to struggle to root. I had to go out of town on a family emergency this last weekend, but left watering instructions for my husband. Brown thumb that he has, the silly man put them in a window sill that gets full sun most of the day and they got leaf burn. I hope they still decide to grow. My main plant is doing well and already has a couple leaf nodes starting to show on the tallest branch I lopped off. The branch cuttings lost a lot of leaves but they seem to finally be putting on some new growth. I think it might be a victory! Lol I wish I could figure out how to add pictures from my iPhone so I could share. Thanks again for the help from both of you.

o

On iPhone same as you would do a desk top. This is how I reply to mainly everything lol
After I post this response you should get an email saying "forum reply etc" click the link, scroll down to end, and fill out the box. You have to be logged in though to post replies/upload pics. Click on the "choose file" image upload pics (you can only post 1 pic at a time) and follow the prompts.
Either "choose existing" which is your photo library on your cell phone or "take a pic" and the click "preview message" and then "submit message". It's no different and I'm replying from my iPhone now lol so hope you can follow my directions. I'm so used to doing it hard to explain now horrible I know. Have a lovely 4th of July Everyone!!

o

I tried that, but my "choose file" button is gray and it won't let me select it. Maybe because I have an iPhone 4?

o

I have an iPhone for also, did you click on the button though? Mine is gray
See

o

Sorry Typo I meant: I have the iPhone 4 also

o

I tried to click it, but it won't let me. The button and the letters are gray and it won't let me choose it. I even tried viewing the message before posting it, and it still won't let me click the button. Maybe a glitch of my phone. I thought having my wifi off had something to do with it, but no such luck. Guess I'll just have to keep trying til I figure it out...

o

Okay... So, I'm having this problem with red spider mites on my plants. Surprisingly, this is my first experience with them. Earlier this year, I planted some moonflower seeds. I ended up with six (barely!) surviving plants. They just happen to be right next to my pachira and I have no way to isolate the plants without destroying them with too much sun. I narrowly averted a disaster with them having aphids earlier this year and the last thing my pachira needs is a parasite while it's trying to root. Anyone have any experience with moonflowers or red spider mites?

o

Are you sure they are spider mites? How small are they? Visible to the naked eye? Just barely visible?

I use cold-pressed Neem Oil to treat my Citrus and my peppers during the inevitable Winter outbreak of spider mites. Mix the recommended concentration, then spray the leaves above and below, after the sun has passed for the day. In the morning, I like to rinse the plant. In three days, I spray again, and rinse the following morning. I repeat three treatments, three days apart, until the outbreak is controlled. Don't overdo it, though. Better to make a slightly weaker mix, and use more often.

Josh

o

Well, here's an update!
To my delight, there will be two branches after all....
despite the fact that they're emerging from the same node.

o

Thanks for the advice greenman. I had heard somewhere that you can treat them similarly to aphids with a few drop of dish soap in water sprayed on the underside of the leaves where they like to hide out, and I'm a big fan of home remedies, so I tried that out. I also read that you really have to soak the plant several times to make sure the soap gets through that tiny silk webbing they like to make, but you also have to be careful not to get it in the soil because the basal nature of the soap could affect the pH of the soil. Let me tell you, I was so thankful the affected plants were still small because I ended up having to hold the pots somewhat sideways in order to drench them but miss the soil. A week later, my spider mite problem is solved!

A mixed report on my pachira, the branches I cut off and poked down in the soil didn't make it. I had them on my covered porch and, due to a 3 day rain storm (it's a love/hate relationship with this tropical weather in coastal Texas), both trunks ended up rotted. However, when I came back from a week out of town on a family emergency, the tiny green nubs that had just appeared on the main branch I trimmed back are now easily 3-4 inch branches with a couple tiny leaves apiece! I may have failed at propagation from branch cutting (the jury is still out on weather the leaf cuttings are going to root), but my main plant is healthier for the trim. Thanks for the great advice from everyone. This is exactly why this is my go-to site when I need help with my plants.

o

If you use dish soap, you need to make sure that it is NON-detergent dish soap. When I make my "home mix," I use a few drops of Dr. Bronner's pure castile soap or Murphy's Oil Soap. Cold-pressed Neem Oil, however, beats them hands down. No question.

Josh

o

Can I pick the neem oil up at Walmart, lowes, or home depot? I hate using those guys, but I still haven't found a local nursery to get my supplies. The dish soap I found most recommended was specifically dawn regular strength (non-concentrate) dish soap. Unfortunately, it wasn't as successful as I originally had thought... I found a few of the tiny little buggers on the underside of the leaves on 2 of the original 6 that had it. I'm thinking I might take a loss of 2 plants rather than sacrifice the 15-20 other plants on my porch. I hate to do that, but between the spider mites and a fat catipillar I found munching on 1 (I suspect he must have spent most of his life cycle on one of my plants before eating several new growths on my Hawaiian ti tree), I'm not entirely sure the 2 plants of concern are going to make it anyway. So, my question is, is neem oil a pesticide? Could it be dangerous or toxic to a very young plant? My moonflower vines that are affected are only a couple months old (grown from seed) and are only about a foot tall. I swear, I've fought more for those plants than any plant I have, and I have orchids, which are notoriously difficult!

o

Btw, great pic of the new branches on your pachira. Maybe it's the excess humidity due to a 3 day rain, but the branches of my pachira grew from tiny nubs to branches that size last week. I had no idea the plant was capable of being such a vigorous grower! Didn't you recently propagate from a leaf cutting? How is that plant doing? I'd love to see pics.

o

Pachira are very vigorous most of the year!
Whoever says otherwise isn't growing it properly ;-) Once growth initiates, it explodes.

Neem Oil is from the Neem tree, and it is considered quite safe. It should be available at many of the home stores.

I rooted a leaf several years ago, and I no longer have that plant. I rooted a tip-cutting last Summer, and that plant (which I kept as a back up) is doing wonderfully...

In the meantime, here's another shot of my main Pachira.

o

Wow it's taking off fast and my rooted leaf has put out so many roots but the one I cut from the woody part (base area) dried up. Seems only ones that grow for me is if I cut the actual green stem w/leaves attached. I agree these plants grow fast never seen a plant do this except for my deffinbachia. Lovely growth on your main plant!!

o

Updates! Here's my backup Pachira, growing in lots of sun on the back deck. Sorry for the glare - despite the rain showers we're enjoying, that Summer sun is still bright behind the clouds.

o

And, of course, my pride and joy :-)

Here's my main Pachira about two and a half months after the chop.

o

...duplicate

This post was edited by greenman28 on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 0:08

o

Awesome!! True testimony for hard pruning :)

o

Awesome!! True testimony for hard pruning :)

o

Thank you!

o

Hello Garden Buddies:
I have a money tree that is doing amazingly well. It has started to produce stalks off of the braided trunk. Two stalks so far with a 3rd coming. I don't know why this is happening and I don't want it, but I am afraid to offend my tree lest it act out it's displeasure. Can someone tell me what I should do? Do I leave it and start another braid and if I do, how will the existing trunk support this as it can become heavy. Do I cut them off and start new trees? Please opine. Thank you. :)

o

Hello Garden Buddies:
I have a money tree that is doing amazingly well. It has started to produce stalks off of the braided trunk. Two stalks so far with a 3rd coming. I don't know why this is happening and I don't want it, but I am afraid to offend my tree lest it act out it's displeasure. Can someone tell me what I should do? Do I leave it and start another braid and if I do, how will the existing trunk support this as it can become heavy. Do I cut them off and start new trees? Please opine. Thank you. :)

o

Hello!
I *wish* I could get new sprouts/branches to grow from the base of my pachira! That's the Holy Grail ;-)

That said, if you really want to keep the braid "clean," then let the branches grow until they are a good length with several leaves, then slice them off, treat with rooting hormone, and root them in a free-draining mix.

Josh

o

Well, another season draws to an end, and the Pachira will soon be back indoors for the Winter. Until then, we'll soak up as much sunshine as possible...now that the maple leaves are falling and opening up our view to the west.

Josh

o

i re potted a single stem money tree in kellogg palm ,catus and citrus mix i hope this is ok.can i braid the new leaves and if so how?

o

That mix is still very moisture retentive, Mairead.
Post a pic of your plant in its container, along with the mix. If you have a lot of light, the plant will be fine.

As for the braiding, I'd have to see the growth to comment.

Josh

o

Got an update pic this morning....not the best, due to the green background. After some nice rain, the plant's are happy....

Josh

o

Hi :D I took a picture of my Pachira and got to rememberin' about this thread.

Ever since I put this guy in gritty mix, he has shot straight up! He's over 6' and it's scary! Still, it's hilarious to laugh because people are amazed at how tall it is. Glad to see yours are doing well!

o

Hey, thanks for checking in! My plant has shot up again, too.
Maybe you'll do a hard chop next season, eh? ;-)

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here