Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rlcook22

Peace Lilly Very Droopy

rlcook22
10 years ago

I have had this plant for almost 3 years. I recently transplanted it into a bigger pot. made sure the soil was wet when doing it.It was fine for the first two days and then it started to fall. So I sat it outside in a half shaded area as I know it cant take direct sunlight. My brilliant husband decided to move it into direct sun for an entire day. so it became very frail and all the stems went totally limp. I've kept it inside and close to a window but nothing seems to perk it back up. this plant is very important to me as it was the only plant I got from my grandfathers funeral service. Please help...im so worried im going to lose it.

Comments (7)

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

The usual cause of droopy Spaths is lack of water. (Have you stuck your finger in the soil against the roots?) The plunge into the sun did it no good, but it isn't browned. I would say to keep it damp in the warm shade and give it a few days.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

It may take some time to grow back to its former glory but the good news is it's not totally fried.

Care for it as you have previously. Make sure it has enough water without giving it too much(yeah I know that sounds pretty vague but I think you know what I mean). As you've kept this plant alive for three years running I think I can trust that you know what you are doing. :)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb! Hubby sounds like a keeper, just needs some guidance. So sorry that happened. Looks like it was very pretty. "We" have seen them recover from looking like this many times, so agree it can recover with the great advice offered. Sending good vibes to your plant!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

These plants also wilt when chronically overwatered or in a container that doesn't drain or in a potting mix that stays soggy for too long. They are quite prone to root and/or crown rot.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I have had bad luck with peacelily. I tend to forget watering my plants whitch slowly but shurely killed my plant. Putting it outside in the hot texas sun was a severe drying out affect on the plant. Even in the shade it would quickly dry in the hot dry texas wind. Please keep up on watering if you truly value this plant

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

I would turn an apparent set-back into an opportunity to repot & start fresh. I would cut all the stems off close to the soil, bare-root the grouping, repot into a damp medium, and wait for it to recover. The biggest threat if you follow that advice is over-watering. The soil should be about as damp as a well-wrung sponge. IOW - never wet or soggy. After it starts pushing new growth, you can fertilize. What I suggested also allows you to take a look at the roots and cut any rotting roots back to sound tissue.

I agree with Dori. Water and nutrient uptake requires energy, which must be created (from the food the plant makes - sugar) in the presence of oxygen. Soggy soils deprive the roots of the oxygen they need to take up water, which causes the wilting. If your plant ever wilts while you can still feel moisture in the soil, it's a pretty sure bet it's over-watering, not under-watering, causing the drought response.

Al

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Most likely your plant went into a bit of transplant shock, which isn't unusual. But the sudden move from shade into sun was really "rubbing salt into the wound". You have a good chance of it coming back okay, only it won't be a "show piece" for a while. Just give it time.

On the issue of over watering. In their natural habitat they live in water. That's why a lot of people have them as aquarium plants. I've got one that's been sitting in a pond for about 18 months now and it looks great. The water is about a third to half the way up the pot (pond level fluctuates). The roots are through the bottom of the pot and out into the pond. The real issue isn't that it's in water. The important thing is that the water is oxygenated. That's why they do really well near fountains/water falls with the aerated water passing their roots. Tap water is normally completely devoid of oxygen so that needs to be taken into account if you want to use them as water plants. And Tap water in poorly draining soil means anaerobic conditions and consequently rot.

A photo of mine sitting in the pond.