Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrboots_gw

Indoor Climbing vine.

MrBoots
11 years ago

I have a room in my house where we have swords and knives on display on and next to a slotted side shelf, perfect for growing vines going up the sides and the sheaths of the blade.

My question is this, I would like a low light, trainable climbing vine that would look good and not overly bunch up and make a bush inside my room. Is this possible and if so, what plant? If not, what other vines can you suggest that take low light and climb? (Nixing the bunching up portion)

Thanks,

James, AKA MrBoots

Comments (5)

• dellis326 (Danny)
    11 years ago

Your basic heartleaf philodendron or pothos might work. It depends on what you mean by low light. Neither will live if it is dark.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Low light in zone 9 is slightly more promising than up north, but could you be a little more specific about the light? The direction of the room & the proximity of the shelf to the window, and if it is on the same wall as the window, perpendicular, or across the room. Even light colored walls instead of something dark like paneling can help. Do you use fluorescent bulbs? As dellis said, Pothos immediately came to mind when reading your post. Or something to trail down from the top instead of growing up, maybe an ivy or creeper. How tall is the shelf?

• DAPHNE111
    11 years ago

knowing that my new pothos lost a part bc of me breaks my heart.see,one of my pothos had a huge thick brown 'roots?' attaching it along the soil and i wanted to free it so i clipped them.the vine that was freed turned out to be like 4 ft long-IT WAS BEAUTIFUL!!!unfortunately, a few days later the entire vine came out of its soil and altho i tried to revive it for two weeks it still looked weak and ver limp.i threw it away with a heavy heart and would like to ask a few questions to help me understand my girls.
    1.what are teh brown roots that hold the vine to the soil?
    2. how will i know hwo to free a vine?
    3.could i have saved the vine that came out or repotted it?

• MrBoots
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purpleinopp-

The room's window faces north, and the lighting is actually quite dim. I have a standard lightbulb in the top of the room. The plant would be on the Eastern wall. In half of it in direct view of the window. The dresser it will sit on will be aproximately three feet high, and the shelf and swords it would climb would climb approximately 6 feet high, three feet higher than the dresser.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

MrBoots, I think you would get the best results from Pothos in those conditions. Easy plant to find also.

Daphne, hi & welcome to Gardenweb. Feel free to start a new discussion for asking a new question.

1.what are teh brown roots that hold the vine to the soil? Pothos (and lots of other house plants) make roots in the air that can "find" the soil from quite a long distance.

2. how will i know hwo to free a vine? If you leave the tips to hang down past the pot, they won't find the soil and you can end up with some really long vines this way.

3.could i have saved the vine that came out or repotted it? It's hard to say without seeing what it looked like...