Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sudden variegation appears on green chlorophytum spider plant

Posted by kwie2011 none (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 14 at 21:55

My perfectly ordinary green spider plants, which grew from pups of another perfectly ordinary green spider plant, has suddenly produced a pup with white edges.

The pup is TINY, but the variegation is unmistakable. Unfortunately, while trying to move the plant, I stepped on the stolon and ripped it off the plant. I'm trying to grow the pups in soil. They're awfully little to be away from "mom," but the last ones I did this to all survived (thanks to advice from you folks), so I'm hopeful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sudden variegation appears on green chlorophytum spider plant

That's interesting! I've never had a spider plant baby sport into a different variegation than the mother plant, but I've seen it happen with other plants (most recently my hosta). Hope the babies survive.

o

I have a baby that is variegated whose Mother was all green. Let me find a picture for you of the baby. The mother was a 'Green Bonnie.' You can see his all-green brother to the left.

Planto

o

That's pretty cool! Am I seeing the right "brother" to its left - a lighter green stripe on darker green leaves? I haven't seen that before in spider plants. I like it! Is that the only white/green variegated pup the plant has produced?

I always assumed spider "pups" were genetically identical to the parent plant, but now I wonder if there is some means of recombining DNA. (I'm sure I can find that info somewhere on the net.)

So far, so good with my mite of a pup. Although no visible roots, the little guy is still bright and healthy-looking. Turns out it's an offshoot of a slightly larger pup, which I think increases its odds of survival, but maybe decreases the odds of it keeping its lovely stripes. I'm so eager for it to root and grow so I can see what happens!

o

Sorry, that was a bad picture. The brother to the left is a single shade of green, so nothing special about it lol.

This is the only pup that is variegated. So far it has maintained its variegation, despite being super slow growing.

Keep us updated on yours. I hope that yours develops roots and maintains its variegation. :)

Planto

o

Here's better pictures of my variegated 'Spider Plant' pup and his brother.

photo 100_4953_zps676711b8.jpg

photo 100_4956_zps0ce588ae.jpg

Planto

o

The 3 little variegated leaves on that pup are turning a bit brown on the edges. It's rooted, but for some reason the edges of just those 3 leaves aren't healthy.

However, two leaves on a larger pup have just one thin white margin each. I can't get a photo to upload, but here's a link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1en9d3dq7b2pnex/AAAFSCWyehZk6ax4dwOFSMgta

o

The 3 little variegated leaves on that pup are turning a bit brown on the edges. It's rooted, but for some reason the edges of just those 3 leaves aren't healthy.

However, two leaves on a larger pup have just one thin white margin each. I can't get a photo to upload, but here's a link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1en9d3dq7b2pnex/AAAFSCWyehZk6ax4dwOFSMgta

o

Sorry to hear about the smaller pup. I'd say so long as it produces new leaves, it should be fine. With regards to the larger pup, it appears that the variegation isn't appearing on the newer leaves?

Planto

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here