Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mvankirk_gw

Peace lilly

mvankirk
17 years ago

I recently received a peace lilly in a plant basket after my Mother passed away. I love it and really want to see it grow healthy...what do I need to do to replant it...what size pot works best, what soil, watering, etc. I really want to save this one...it is beautiful and I am not at all familiar with the best care. Thank you!!

Comments (9)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

My condolences on the passing of your mother. Let's get you started on the right foot with your peace lily, which can be pretty darned finicky sometimes!

The best thing I can do for you is to link you to the Search The Forum for your subject. You should spend some time reading the numerous postings about this plant....then you can understand why I said that they are finicky! YIKES!

The key to success for these plants is EXCELLENT drainage (meaning a very coarse textured soil), being a bit pot bound, never letting the plant sit in water, and plenty of decent light. You will find all of those issue discussed 'ad nauseum' when you read the attached postings.

Good luck! And if you have any more questions once you've done your homework, ask away.

Here is a link that might be useful: C'mon, I'll go with you.....let's beginning reading!

• greattigerdane
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom.

I have had a peace lily for almost 17 yrs now and it seems to be stay happy if a few simple requirements are met.

If your peace lily in planted in the basket without a pot, or you just want a different pot, make sure it has drainage holes.
    Use a pot that's only an inch larger than the root-ball. You want an inch of soil between the root-ball and the inside of the pot.Too big a pot can cause rot and most plants like to be a little on the pot-bound side anyway. Try not to disturb the roots as much as possible when you do this. Add about an inch of good draining soil. (I like to add Perlite to soil) Helps with drainage. Most garden centers or places that sell should have it. Put an inch to the pots bottom first and make sure to put soil down around the sides of the pot and give it some water.

Let the top inch of soil get close to dry, but not dried out before watering it again. I test the soil each week with my finger. Peace lilies likes semi moist soil. When you water, make sure it comes flowing out the drainage holes, then get rid of any of the excess so it's not sitting in water or the roots can rot.

Put it where it will get bright indirect light, or dapple light, direct hot sun will burn the leaves.

When you fertilize, use sparingly and only half strength or less in the spring & summer months, none in winter.

Billy Rae

• greenthumbgardener
    17 years ago

My wife saved a Peace Lily under similar circumstances when her father passed away about 10 years ago. I find them very forgiving as to soil requirements, as long as you don't let them dry out too badly or leave them set in a saucer of water for too long. I started out planting this little sentimental plant from a florist's arrangement, and now we have plants growing both in soil and in plain water in a clear jar with colored stones. Two of the plants are growing in 12" pots, and I refuse to pot them up any bigger size. This means that I have to up-end them every year and trim them back to a respectable number to go back into their pots. My wife refers to them as Dad's plants, and this makes her very happy. (Me too)

• Staci
    17 years ago

I have had one for about 5 years. I received it when my husbands father passed away so it is special to us. I have repotted it three times. The first time was moving it to a bigger pot about 6 months after receiving it. Next was just to remove some babies because it was crowded and the third was just a month ago, because it seemed to be declining. I refreshed 75% of it's soil and it seems much happier.

I have found they do not like direct sun and get a bit crispy even with eastern sun. A bright to semi-bright area works well. I have had mine about 2 feet from a north facing window and about 10 feet from a east facing shaded window and it was happy with both.

They also seem to be more picky about tap water than some houseplants. One tip is to fill your watering can about two days before planning to water your houseplants. Some of the Chlorine will evaporate. That is unless you are lucky enough to have a rain water collector. Also, do a complete flush twice a year by watering until about a gallon of water runs out of the bottom. Mine starts to get brown tips if I don't follow these rules.

Mine gets water every 7 to 8 days in the summer (I stick with plants that can be watered on weekly, bi-weekly intervals). You can check yours daily to figure out when it needs water. The day that you can stick your finger in the pot about two inches and feel no moisture is when to water it.

The good thing about Peace Lilies is that they will tell you when they are dehydrated. As long as you water them the minute you see them drooping, they won't be harmed. Maybe a little stressed, but as long as you don't do it often, they will never show any effects. One other sure fire way to test your plant to find out how when to water is to leave it alone until it droops a bit. Water it well once, then wait while counting the days. Watch it every day and when you see it is drooping, water it. If it takes 12 days, water it on the 8th day from now on. Basically cut 1/4 off the time and then water it then.

• kathystark
    17 years ago

plz help We have a peace lilly that is dying ,i want to save it ? can you tell me what p/h the soil needs to be ? About the lighting requirements indirect sun or direct sun? help hopeless

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Kathy, neutral (7) would probably be best for Peace Lilys. I'd say bright light would be best for a peace lily. I keep my variegaetd peace lily under the light of a south window. It's enough that it blooms..it's blooming right now so I'm assuming it's getting enough sun. My PL is over 10 yrs old, and planted in a 10" pot..They like to be a bit underpotted..Soil should be watered throughly, then when soil feels/looks dry give a hearty drink.
    What type of pot is yours in? What size pot? How tall is your plant? Does it ever flower? What's its age? Toni

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

No direct sun. Lots of water. I've found them to be very easy to grow as long as those conditions are met. I have a three year old variegated one blooming six feet back from a South window that is shaded in the afternoon by a large tree. It is still in the same pot I bought it in.

• sortagreenthumb
    16 years ago

I am also sorry to hear about your mother. I acquired a peace lilly recently due to a similar situation, and I also already had one (much bigger than my new addition) and this posting has been very helpful. my question on the same subject would be, is it too hot outside for my larger and older peace lilly? it is in the 80's outside in VA and i'm keeping well watered. and i also wonder if new conditions might convince my older plant to bloom? I haven't seen it bloom since we got it several months ago.

• einicorn_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

I received a Peace Lilly as a gift in January. It is quite large (12" pot) and just beautiful. I've been very careful treating it; even purchased a water meter to be sure I only watered it when it was appropriate. The last time the meter indicated it was ready to be watered I added some Miracle Gro to the water. Within a few days it started to droop. Is it possible the fertilizer was too strong? Any ideas about how to save it. All the leaves are now drooping over the side of the pot and some have begun to turn a bit yellow (ones in the center of the plant). Should I repot it and if so what kind of potting soil is best? Should I let it dry out and see what happens? I'm afraid I'll lose this plant and I really, really love it and don't want to lose it. Help!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting