Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuy415

snail in my pachira (money tree)

chuy415
12 years ago

hello everyone,

i recently purchased a beautiful money tree at Costco, but lately have been finding a snail just about every morning in or under a leaf and looks like its been enjoying it. looking like the leaves have more and more holes..... help.. can anyone give me advice on how to care for it?

thank you!

Chuy

Comments (16)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Chuy, are you sure it's a snail? You said, 'a snail,' and 'looks like 'it's' been enjoying the leaf.'
    Is there's one snail and are you leaving it on your plant?

Can you post a picture of whatever it is? Remove the insect..Toni

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

How are the snails reaching the Pachira?

Can you elevate the container, or maybe set a snail bait/trap?

Josh

• chuy415
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Toni- I've taken the snail off about 8 times already and seems like that's the only creature that is having a feast. i say "looks like" because the leaf or leaves have been eaten up a bit and some have holes, if you will :).

• chuy415
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh- i have no idea how the snail makes it all the way to the top, the container is not elevated. any ideas on what bait/trap i can use that wont hurt the pachira?
    i have never tried posting a picture, i'm not too computer savvy!! lol
    chuy

12 years ago

Hi, Chuy.
    I'd elevate the container on a few blocks or pieces of wood for a start.
    In my garden, I use a product called Sluggo, which deters and kills snails as well
    as slugs. It's also safe for pets and wildlife.

A simple trap to make is just a pie tin filled with cheap beer. The slugs and snails are
    attracted to the yeast and they drown in the beer. Empty and re-fill every couple days.

Good luck! Pachira is one of my favorite plants.

Josh

• jean001a
    12 years ago

It was said "i have no idea how the snail makes it all the way to the top"

The answer: It crawls up via its one slimy foot.

It was suggested to elevate the pot on blocks.

Umm, not a deterrent to snails nor slugs. Will still climb!
    Instead devise a moat -- set the pot on a brick in a larger container which holds water half-way up the brick.

12 years ago

Umm, elevating the pot is a simple step to deter some of the traffic.
    Of course snails can still climb.

Josh

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Chuy, how about trying this?

Place some beer in a cap turned upsidedown..Not too deep cap, but deep enough, once the snail/sluga crawl inside, they're trapped.
    Set the cap on the soil of your Pachira.

Throw snails in a field or somewhere birds will find them. Some birds eat snails.

Or smash them. I personally don't like squashing, prefer tossing/feeding birds.
    You're helping your plant and wildlife. Toni

• chuy415
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you all for the advice.
    Toni, i personally dont like squashing!

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Chew, ditto on squashing.. Toss out for birds then. Toni

• msheard27_wowway_com
    12 years ago

Must be a discount store thing. I just bought one at Walmart tonight and lo and behold, I've got a slimy little stowaway. First I was grossed out... Then amused. For it to be a snail it sure was speedy... In a snail-y kinda way... I took a pic and would gladly post. Just need to know how... :)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Miggz, we never know what we're going to find...lol.. I don't like snails, but the good news is you didn't find Mealy, or some other plant bug.

Yes, please post a pic..Toni

• chuy415
    Original Author
    12 years ago

after a couple of months, my pachira is doing ok, but i still find some leaves that have been chewed, i cant seem to find what it is, i do have a picture of the snail from May, since then, the weather has been a lot warmer here in Rancho Santa Margarita, so i doubt its still the snail. will post as soon as i get home :)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

You probably purchased the snails with the plant. That's not supposed to happen and I would take it back. Costco's nursery section could be contaminated or infested plants were delivered to them. Either way, they need to know.

• chuy415
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I might have, but did thoroughly check the whole tree before purchasing. the only problem is, they usually sell out within a few days when new plants/flowers come in because they're fairly cheap... its been growing, but again, noticing some little insect or something is having a feast :(... thanks for the advice/opinion rhizo!

12 years ago

Could be earwigs....I've noticed them on my Pachira....

Josh