Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dzitmoidonc

The worst named cactus?

Dzitmoidonc
10 years ago

This is Rhipsalis horrida with the fruit it made this year. The name 'horrida' doesn't apply to this soft fuzzy plant. There are several forms of it, and a whole host of names because the number of genes also varies (diploid and octaploid for instance). The flowers and fruit are produced in abundance in early spring, it spends the summer outside in the (mostly) shade.

Over the weekend a female Baltimore Oriole stopped and ate almost all of last year's (ripe) berries. The bird recognizes fruit even when the plant doesn't occur in either winter or summer living areas.

{{gwi:88022}}

Comments (7)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

How cool is that?!?!? I think this is one of the mystery plants I got recently. It was just a bunch of brown things hitch-hiking with some Sedum but green parts have appeared that look just like that. Time will tell...

Wow - your yard looks like FL, not somewhere in Z6! That plant obviously has no idea it's way out of its' natural range. Fantastic!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

DZ...Wow, I thought a baseball team member ate your plants berries..lol..j/k.

Your Rip is amazing. Do you know its age?
    I have a few Rips, but they're the slowest growers. Three were cuttings so maybe that's the reason they're taking so long to grow.

Berries! There's so many. I wish you had snapped a photo of the BO perching on your foliage.

I agree, 'horrida' surely doesn't apply to this plant. Wonder who chose it and why???

Hey Purple, long time no talk. What's up? Toni

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Gorgeous

• Dzitmoidonc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

purple, I lived in FL for 5 years and was hooked on green and lush. I have outdoor plants that bloom every month of the year, and my Musa basjoo banana trees provides a touch of tropical.

Toni, if the Baltimore Oriole millionaires ever wanted my fruit, the price would reflect their ability to pay! As it is, I was frozen still to avoid scaring the timid Oriole. One thing about them, you usually only find the nest after the leaves fall. We hear them a lot more than see them.

I don't know why the horrida name was used for these soft plants. Maybe because of their ability to spread horribly? A tiny piece can give a big plant in only a few years. This is the main specimen of R. horrida here, I would guess about 10 years old. My favorite Rhipsalis today is R. lindberghiana. It blooms well one time in the greenhouse in March, then again a little after I move it outdoors. It makes pretty purple berries, but whatever pollinates it doesn't work at it too hard since my fruit crop is somewhat limited.
    This might be a link to that one in bloom. I may have posted this before.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:88021}}

This post was edited by Dzitmoidonc on Fri, May 31, 13 at 17:28

• wiley1983
    10 years ago

oh man..... that is sooooo cool, what do you want for a piece of it???? cutting????

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

DZ...yep, I agree. If a million/billaire ball player wanted a cutting, the price would be extra steep. lol.

Silly question. After looking at your plant, 'again,' are the flowers hanging beside your Rhip?
    It looks like two different plants, but I've never seen a Rhip in bud/flower, so don't know what to expect.

Your Rhipsalis is the prettiest I'd ever seen.

Too bad you didn't have a photo with an Oriole sitting on Rhip foliage.

Unfortunately, Oriole's don't fly this far west, so I Googled..They're beautifully colored birds. I wouldn't mind seeing these gals and guys visiting our feeders. Toni

• Dzitmoidonc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wiley, unless you are in NB, I doubt I can get a piece to you. These are quite common at the big box stores. I think I bought this at a Home Depot or Lowes some years ago.

Toni, the flowers on these come from the aeroles, like almost all cacti. The bloom is in late winter, the fruit hang on for about a year before they are ripe. Unlike some of the Rhipsalis that make colored berries, this one has white/green almost translucent berries. There is almost no flavor.

Hanging near it is another Rhipsalis species that hangs about 7 ft. This is the one the oriole stripped. The stems on this one grow like a fireworks burst (many stems originating from a point). This makes for a good place for spiders to live, so this evening there is a hummingbird visiting it picking my spiders off. It's a hard world out there.