Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
favorite plant

Posted by teengardener1888 none (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 22:28

fellow gardenweb members, what is your favorite houseplant. please tell why and provide a photo of one if possible

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: favorite plant

Boy, that's almost like asking which of your kids is your favorite. I suppose if I really had to choose only one, it'd be my pachira. Why you ask? Well, it was a Christmas gift to me many of years back, before I really gave a hoot about plants. I recieved it and thought to myself "self, why in the hell did you just get this thing for Christmas?". I took it home, plopped it in a super sunny south window, and it grew grew grew. It soon became my "baby", and I guess you could say it was the start of my indoor plant keeping career. Now I have 17 plants, half tropical, half succulent. Most are grown to my taste, which is that of the bonsai look. I like to create unusual tree-like shapes, although I do not use bonsai pots. My pachira went from a little 6" tall seedling looking thing, to a 7 foot monster with a 3" diameter trunk, although I cut 'er down in size every year or two.

Joe

o

Oh man, I can't pick one plant and say it's my fav. I can tell you the prettiest is persian shield (Strobilanthes dyerianus.) That's the one that gets the most attention when people visit.

o

I suppose, if I do have a favourite, I'm afraid to say in case the others get to hear of it. Sometimes I think my plants are reading Garden Web over my shoulder....ssshhhh...

o

I have a hard time picking a favorite, as Im sure most of you do. Its hard when you've spent so much time taking care of all of them and watching them grow. If you twisted my arm though I'd have to say its a tie between my String of pearls (Senecio rowleyanus) and my purple passion plant (Gynura sarmentosa). They were both given to me by my mother when I moved away from home almost 2 years ago. The string of pearls does amazing here in southern California. The purple passion doesn't really care for the hotter temps here and grows better in the winter so I'm bringing it inside this summer to see how it does.

Purple Passion Plant

DSC02808

o

My favorites change often, but my current fave is my Acalypha pendula. Acalypha pendula is dioecious, and the males are not terribly attractive so only the females are available. It is a very unique looking plant though.

Photobucket

I adore my Gloxinella lindeniana too, both for its' foliage and lightly scented flowers.

Photobucket

Mark

o

I just started groing brugmansias last year. I really like my Flamenco. Here it is in bloom last Aug.
Photobucket

I also like my philodendron bipinnatifidum. Probably because I've had it for so long and because it's so big.
Photobucket

I like all my dracaenas, too.

o

Hard to choose, though probably my jade :

day 84

Because I've had it for a whiles .

o

I love every single one of my plants, but my favorite change all the time, depending on who's blooming or what's looking really nice at the moment. today I really like:

My slipper orchid, cause it's so beautiful-
Photobucket

My clivia cause it's getting ready to bloom, but you can't see it in this picture-

My 1st Clivia, My first clivia that I found today, it's just the plain orange, butI was so exited cause I can't find them anywhere else and I've been wanting one forever.

I love my Bowiea Volubilis, just because it's so weird-
Photobucket

And I just love the colors on this bromiliad's bloom-

Photobucket

I also have two passion flowers houseplants that are getting ready to bloom, but I don't have pictures of it yet, but I will when they bloom.

-FPT

o

You ask a good question, although it's difficult for me to answer that as well. Although I'm having a really difficult time picking just one, if I absolutely had to choose, I think I'd have to pick...

Sansevieria trifasciata 'Futura':
Sansevieria trifasciata 'Futura'

It's one hardy plant and seems happy no matter where I put it!

Planto

o

Without a second thought, my hoyas.

Susan

o

My beloved Balfour Aralia w/ apologies those who have seen this before.

Photobucket

I think the leaves are so pretty, love the combination of round & ruffly & variegated green & white

Photobucket

Another old favorite & one of my very first loves in growing succulents: Haworthia limifolia: Beautiful, living sculpture & super easy care

Photobucket

To me, this is just specacular

Haw limifolia

Another little charmer: Euphorbia milii v. moratii:

Photobucket

Interestingly variegated leaves

Photobucket

Those are a few of my all times faves.

Hey Micro,

What about you, your favorites & why?

o

Marguerite you are so funny!!!!!

o

this is my favorite plant..hoya hindu rope...
this plant is about 5 years old, and last summer it bloomed for the first time, I hope it blooms again this
summer.....

Photobucket

o

Draven....

Photobucket

o

I have lots of favorites but this beauty is up there...

Randy

Here is a link that might be useful: Aspidistra lurida 'Amanogawa'

o

My mother-in-law gave me this Hoya carnosa last fall. It is my favorite not only because she gave it to me but it is the first hoya that has bloomed in my care. She had it for over 25 years without blooms, it must like the change in location.
H. carnosa bloom
H. carnosa
Tami

o

I don't know that I have a FAVORITE per se, but here are some of my pride-and-joy's! :)

Plectranthus Ernstii

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Corsican Bowl Gourd that's ready to go outside

A more mature P. ernstii

My big monster Creeping Charlie :P

Wax begonia and others :)

Impatiens Balsamina that I overwintered indoors

Velvet Philodendron

o

These are all good houseplants. My favorite is hoya carnosa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here