Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teengardener1888

favorite plant

teengardener1888
11 years ago

fellow gardenweb members, what is your favorite houseplant. please tell why and provide a photo of one if possible

Comments (18)

• Joe1980
    11 years ago

Boy, that's almost like asking which of your kids is your favorite. I suppose if I really had to choose only one, it'd be my pachira. Why you ask? Well, it was a Christmas gift to me many of years back, before I really gave a hoot about plants. I recieved it and thought to myself "self, why in the hell did you just get this thing for Christmas?". I took it home, plopped it in a super sunny south window, and it grew grew grew. It soon became my "baby", and I guess you could say it was the start of my indoor plant keeping career. Now I have 17 plants, half tropical, half succulent. Most are grown to my taste, which is that of the bonsai look. I like to create unusual tree-like shapes, although I do not use bonsai pots. My pachira went from a little 6" tall seedling looking thing, to a 7 foot monster with a 3" diameter trunk, although I cut 'er down in size every year or two.

Joe

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Oh man, I can't pick one plant and say it's my fav. I can tell you the prettiest is persian shield (Strobilanthes dyerianus.) That's the one that gets the most attention when people visit.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

I suppose, if I do have a favourite, I'm afraid to say in case the others get to hear of it. Sometimes I think my plants are reading Garden Web over my shoulder....ssshhhh...

• Moosetrackz
    11 years ago

I have a hard time picking a favorite, as Im sure most of you do. Its hard when you've spent so much time taking care of all of them and watching them grow. If you twisted my arm though I'd have to say its a tie between my String of pearls (Senecio rowleyanus) and my purple passion plant (Gynura sarmentosa). They were both given to me by my mother when I moved away from home almost 2 years ago. The string of pearls does amazing here in southern California. The purple passion doesn't really care for the hotter temps here and grows better in the winter so I'm bringing it inside this summer to see how it does.

{{gwi:88094}}

{{gwi:88095}}

• snappyguy
    11 years ago

My favorites change often, but my current fave is my Acalypha pendula. Acalypha pendula is dioecious, and the males are not terribly attractive so only the females are available. It is a very unique looking plant though.

{{gwi:88096}}

I adore my Gloxinella lindeniana too, both for its' foliage and lightly scented flowers.

{{gwi:88097}}

Mark

• elkay_gw
    11 years ago

I just started groing brugmansias last year. I really like my Flamenco. Here it is in bloom last Aug.
    {{gwi:88098}}

I also like my philodendron bipinnatifidum. Probably because I've had it for so long and because it's so big.
    {{gwi:83508}}

I like all my dracaenas, too.

• Arehbella
    11 years ago

Hard to choose, though probably my jade :

{{gwi:88099}}

Because I've had it for a whiles .

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

I love every single one of my plants, but my favorite change all the time, depending on who's blooming or what's looking really nice at the moment. today I really like:

My slipper orchid, cause it's so beautiful-
    {{gwi:88100}}

My clivia cause it's getting ready to bloom, but you can't see it in this picture-

{{gwi:88101}}

I love my Bowiea Volubilis, just because it's so weird-
    {{gwi:88102}}

And I just love the colors on this bromiliad's bloom-

{{gwi:88103}}

I also have two passion flowers houseplants that are getting ready to bloom, but I don't have pictures of it yet, but I will when they bloom.

-FPT

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

You ask a good question, although it's difficult for me to answer that as well. Although I'm having a really difficult time picking just one, if I absolutely had to choose, I think I'd have to pick...

Sansevieria trifasciata 'Futura':
    {{gwi:88104}}

It's one hardy plant and seems happy no matter where I put it!

Planto

• scsva
    11 years ago

Without a second thought, my hoyas.

Susan

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

My beloved Balfour Aralia w/ apologies those who have seen this before.

{{gwi:88105}}

I think the leaves are so pretty, love the combination of round & ruffly & variegated green & white

{{gwi:88106}}

Another old favorite & one of my very first loves in growing succulents: Haworthia limifolia: Beautiful, living sculpture & super easy care

{{gwi:88107}}

To me, this is just specacular

{{gwi:88108}}

Another little charmer: Euphorbia milii v. moratii:

{{gwi:88109}}

Interestingly variegated leaves

{{gwi:88110}}

Those are a few of my all times faves.

Hey Micro,

What about you, your favorites & why?

• plantmasterm
    11 years ago

Marguerite you are so funny!!!!!

• emerald1951
    11 years ago

this is my favorite plant..hoya hindu rope...
    this plant is about 5 years old, and last summer it bloomed for the first time, I hope it blooms again this
    summer.....

{{gwi:88111}}

• ninecrow
    11 years ago

Draven....

{{gwi:72206}}

• randy_e
    11 years ago

I have lots of favorites but this beauty is up there...

Randy

Here is a link that might be useful:

• luvidaho_2010
    11 years ago

My mother-in-law gave me this Hoya carnosa last fall. It is my favorite not only because she gave it to me but it is the first hoya that has bloomed in my care. She had it for over 25 years without blooms, it must like the change in location.
    {{gwi:88112}}
    {{gwi:88113}}
    Tami

• greenthumbfaerie
    11 years ago

I don't know that I have a FAVORITE per se, but here are some of my pride-and-joy's! :)

Plectranthus Ernstii
    {{gwi:88114}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Corsican Bowl Gourd that's ready to go outside
    {{gwi:88115}}

A more mature P. ernstii
    {{gwi:88116}}

My big monster Creeping Charlie :P
    {{gwi:88117}}