Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

Okay, the Gardenia bought last month is blooming now

jujujojo_gw
9 years ago

I think this is Mystery, the flowers are much larger than Veitchii. The fragrance is not that sweet but still nice.

{{gwi:88125}}

{{gwi:88126}}

{{gwi:88128}}

{{gwi:88130}}

{{gwi:88132}}

{{gwi:88133}}

{{gwi:88135}}

Comments (24)

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The producer used a potting mix that almost repels water. They also plant many small seedlings in the pot to share the pressure of moisture and fertilizer. The plant was also adjusted to low light before the sale. The result is that this is a very easy plant if you know how to grow. In my case, the leaves were burnt because I left it in full sun for the first several weeks.

I also ordered Stephanotis from France. The seeds have arrived today. Let me see if I can germinate them.

• christine1950
    9 years ago

It's beautiful !!!!

• amsten09
    9 years ago

It is so pretty! How is the smell??

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Posted by christine1950 5a (My Page) on Fri, May 23, 14 at 8:59

Posted by amsten09 6 (amsten_09@yahoo.com) on Fri, May 23, 14 at 13:03

Thank you. The blooms smell Gardenia, with the emphasis on the spice. The scent is not as sweet as Gardenia Veitchii which I had and had to give away when moving. But Veitchii has very small flowers.

It would be better if the flowers are more double. The plant lives well indoors and outdoors in bright shade. Other than avoiding over watering, it is almost care free. After flowering I will try to train it to almost full sun outdoors. I also plan to divide the six individuals in the pot without disturbing the roots.

Here is the plant today. I hope my backyard is safe.

{{gwi:88137}}

{{gwi:88140}}

{{gwi:88141}}

{{gwi:88143}}

{{gwi:88145}}

{{gwi:88147}}

{{gwi:88137}}

{{gwi:88145}}

{{gwi:88141}}

{{gwi:88152}}

{{gwi:88154}}

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is how it looked like when I bought it on April 18ãÂÂ

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some updates today:

{{gwi:88157}}

{{gwi:88159}}

{{gwi:88161}}

{{gwi:88163}}

{{gwi:88165}}

{{gwi:88167}}

{{gwi:88169}}

{{gwi:88170}}

{{gwi:88171}}

{{gwi:88175}}

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

more updates:

{{gwi:88177}}

{{gwi:88179}}

{{gwi:88181}}

{{gwi:88183}}

{{gwi:88185}}

{{gwi:88187}}

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

what's your secret juju?
    my newly bought gardenias always drop buds, even if i keep them outside. even if it's from the nursery, not from florist..
    it's beautiful!

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Posted by petrushka z7b (My Page) on Thu, May 29, 14 at 20:39

No secret. Just pay attention to light, watering, and transitions between indoors and outdoors. Do not over water. Do not give too much or too little light.

Blooming continuously:

{{gwi:88189}}

{{gwi:88191}}

{{gwi:88193}}

{{gwi:88194}}

{{gwi:88195}}

{{gwi:88196}}

{{gwi:88197}}

{{gwi:88198}}

{{gwi:88199}}

{{gwi:88200}}

This post was edited by jujujojo on Sat, May 31, 14 at 20:16

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

oh, i do pay attention to all of the above.
    but the transition from nursery/shop to apt always results in drop of buds. and i consider myself an experienced and quite successful and attentive grower too.
    i even bought nursery grown gardenia in may so i can put it out directly on the balcony, not indoors - that did not help either.
    i find that the medium that they are grown in is the worst problem of all. it just needs to be totally replaced - but it'll cause the bud drop too if done during flowering!
    so tell me, HOW do you decide when to water?
    and WHEN do you change the soil mix and to WHATt?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Posted by petrushka z7b (My Page) on Sat, May 31, 14 at 20:27

petrushka,

The key to successfully change cultivation environment is to stop watering. Let the soil dry with only some moisture.

I thought the soil in the pot is good. I did not change any.

I consider whatever in the original pot the core of the root. I do not disturb these.

I change a larger pot in mid September. I add manure at the bottom to enrich the soil.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The gardenia has bloomed for a month. The scent is nice. I really have to say that the smaller flowered G. Veitchii has stronger sweet scent. It also could be that the soil is much more free draining. I will try more organic matter after blooming complete.

{{gwi:88203}}

{{gwi:88205}}

{{gwi:88207}}

{{gwi:88208}}

{{gwi:88210}}

{{gwi:88211}}

{{gwi:88212}}

{{gwi:88213}}

{{gwi:88214}}

{{gwi:88215}}

{{gwi:88216}}

{{gwi:88217}}

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Great pictures..

Then the little ones grow up!!! Lol!!!

Now I have placed them in the ground for a few years now. I just walked out of the house and the fragrance takes your breath away...

Here is a small pick of the trees that line the back of my house..

Hope you like them!!!

Laura

• Mansi21c
    9 years ago

I have gardenia in a pot. Soil i used is miracle grow potting mix. Once in a 2 week im giving it miracle acid water soluble. Also im planning to spray neem oil to control bugs.
    Do i have to add fertilizer ? And if yes then how many times a year.?
    And what care should be taken to have healthy gardenia?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Posted by Mansi21c none (My Page) on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 16:06

You need to know how to water. That is the basic. Many people over water and cause root rot. It is not something very easy to learn.

9 years ago

Jujujojo!!

I agree, mine like to dry out a bit and then I water... It does take time to learn the curve as to how to water these, you have done a great job!!!

My trees aren't babies anymore.. Even when they were small, they didn't like to be fussed over...

I love gardenias.. My mother had one in her yard and she always called it
    " Old Fashioned". It has huge blooms and is very fragrant. I wish I new the true name... But , ill continue to call it as such...

Have a good day!!

Laura

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Posted by loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, (My Page) on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 2:35

Your gardenia look wonderful!

9 years ago

Thank you. Juju!!

The ones that are planted in the ground are the ones that I found at the regular box store. They were in containers for years and I finally decided to plant them in the ground and see how they would do. They are small blooms and are fragrant too, but I do have a few trees that I dug up from my mothers house years ago. She never new the true name of them and always called the " Old Fashioned".

You seem to know a lot about these beauties, so,I wanted to share a pic I took this morning of my tree from my mother. I have shared cuttings with many on the forum and they are doing well.. I know it's hard to tell and name a particular variety.. Any ideas?

The leaves are huge as well and the blooms are about 5-6 inches . I can always take a pic of the leaves too, if that would help....

I usually don't try and ask names because I grow Plumeria and we are so hesitant to name just by a picture. If you have any idea, I would be most appreciative!!!

Thanks again!!

Laura

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laura, that is so beautiful! I think it is mystery.

I have divided my plant into three pots. I hope they have more space to grow. They were very crowded.

{{gwi:88218}}

{{gwi:88219}}

{{gwi:88220}}

{{gwi:88221}}

9 years ago

Juju!

Thank you!! They are a mystery.. I'll just settle for the name that I use! It's all good!! If you ever want a cutting, let me know!!

I like the separated trees .. They look like they belong in those pots and I'm sure they will do fine! What is the plastic skirt for? To keep water off? We do this with newly rooting trees from Getting to wet , or are you keeping the warmth and humidity in the soil ? Interesting!

They look wonderful!! Great job!!! :-)

Laura

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, (My Page) on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 2:56

I hope to buy some more this year.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia , my gardenias do not have as many petals as some of the pictures of others. I am so jealous. The neighbor's grass looks so much greener!

8 years ago

Hi Juju!!

Thanks for the update on your beauties. I'm sure they are gorgeous!!

Different varieties had different looks.. I'm sure yours will mature and get bigger in time!!

Always nice to hear from you!!

Have a great weekend!!

Laura

• MrBlubs
    8 years ago

Hey jujujojo!

Where have you been?

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County