Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spider Plant

Posted by scsva VA (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 11 at 22:34

I was looking for a variegated spider plant-the green with white edging and thought I had found one tonight in HD but I have a feeling what I picked up was one of those spider plant that do not produce stolons. I believe they had the 2 types side by side and I picked up the wrong one. I could just kick myself.:) I think this is going to be one boring plant!:)

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spider Plant

moving down

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 7, 11 at 11:22

Susan - all Spider plants reproduce by producing stolons and plantlets, but all are limited in their ability to do so by their ontogenetic age and by photoperiod. Plants age not only chronologically, but ontogenetically as well, and must pass through juvenile and intermediate growth phases before they reach a sexually mature state so they CAN produce stolon growth. Additionally, reproductive growth occurs during the long day/short night portion of the growth period, which your plant just recently entered; so if it's 'old' enough, watch carefully for it to start pushing stolens/plantlets soon.

Al

o

Thanks Al but I beg to differ with you.

Pasted from an article below:
Recently two new additions to the family in the form of Chlorophytum laxum and Chlorophytum comosum �Ocean�. These plants do not produce shoots and are sold as low growing plants.

These are sold in the big box stores and they never produce stolons. I've grown spider plants enough in the past to know how they put out stolons. These are different plants in the spider family.

Susan

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 7, 11 at 18:47

I generally think of Chlorophytum comosum and Chlorophytum comosum 'variegatum' as spider plants because they produce the stolons that give them their name. I guess I didn't realize some were applying the common name to the entire genus. If I'd had the binomial I'd have checked before I offered comment. My bad - sorry. ;-)

AL

o

Susan..try not to think of your Chlorophytum as boring.
It's different, novel. Nope, it doesn't produce stolens, however it flowers. Its variegated leaves are quite pretty.

C. 'Fireflash' is another pretty Chlorophytum, that, like C. Laxum, doesn't offshoot. It's grown primarily for foliage. Orange centers..a large stalk grows from the center, tiny flowers form on the stalk. Actually, its blooms are insificant, not the prettiest..

When I found one C. Laxum amongst common Spiders, it landed in my cart..lol

My question is, is C. Laxum a miniature? Bought mine 2-3 years ago, in all that time it hasn't grown much.
Variegated Spiders are common, sold everywhere, but C. laxum is rare here. It was probably shipped by accident, but like I said, glad I found it. Toni

o

I believe someone stuck the wrong tag into the laxum, probably happened at HD. Actually, I have seen them every HD or Lowe's that I have visited this year. Funny thing is (dumb me) picked up a variegated spider that had a tiny baby but put it back because it looked kind of rough and the laxum looked full but it's my stupidity because I had seen them all over the place and should have known :))).

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here