Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aid with Peperomia ID

Posted by cena60 (My Page) on
Mon, May 31, 10 at 22:49

This is a leathery, succulent Peperomia with a slow growth pattern. I've had the plant nearly four years and this year it popped lots of growth. Upwards. Which makes it difficult as past growth has been mainly hanging.

I need a source/author who specializes as this is not your every day version.

I've searched the last three years for an ID, with no luck.

(McHarris, Joe K. sold this at the C&S show & sale.)

I've been through HUNDREDS of Google Images and the closest (but no cigar) is P. congona. It does not have the distictive joint coloring or the ringed upright leaves.

If you recognize this plant I would very much appreciate input.

Please see the following:

Regular spaced ring growth with stiff, slightly rough leaves growing skyward. They tighten up when water is scarce.

Yes, it IS a Pep! Going into bloom season right now.

You are looking at two bamboo supports and wild growth on each side of the supports. This shoot grew four feet this year, popping out branches. Because this grew in this tree, and had support, I arranged the bamboo poles to support this new, rampant growth. Tough to see with all the visual noise going on.

The 'hanging' part of the plant, only hinting at the strong upright growth this year.

I would appreciate ANY suggestion, hint, far flung source, guess, idea, or WAG. This plant is going into the local Cactus & Succulent show next Friday. Names are always 'good'!

TIA, for taking a look.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aid with Peperomia ID

Cena,

Naming it Perperomia sp. is acceptable if you don't know the name - it's not that big of a deal. What is a big deal is using a name you don't know to be correct, so my two pence is to go with 'sp.' as the second part of the epithet. I suppose you've asked Joe K. and he doesn't know, so that's my advice. Lots of luck!

Jeff, who's never grown a Pep.

o

Hiya Cena,

Waving atcha, been a while, eh?

Sounds like a job for Karen715, if anyone'll know, she's likely the one. Give it a day or 2, I haven't seen her around of late.

Must say I've grown a few Peps, but never saw anything like that. Kinda reminds me of what we call Pollywogs (twirling maple tree seeds), strange.

o

Hi Cena:

I'm sorry to say that I haven't got a clue. I've never seen that Peperomia before. It is certainly an interesting one.

o

Thanks guys. Rosemarie has never provided an ID either. I think this is a group that not to many specialize in. Most can grow them, who would buy books about them?

McHarris, I noted you were here in February, will you return in June?

Nice to see friendly faces here, so much in so many places had changed...

o

Cena,

No, I won't, but the next weekend the Vancouver Desert Plant Society is having their Show, and I'm going to that!

You're right about Peps, I think - they're the fungi of the succulent world, perhaps.

o
Pep Aide

Cena,

No, I won't, but the next weekend the Vancouver Desert Plant Society is having their Show, and I'm going to that!

You're right about Peps, I think - they're the fungi of the succulent world, perhaps.

o

Cena - HI! ~~

Were you able to check into any of the old A.B. Graf Exotica books (though they weren't always completely accurate, either!) or the descriptions in Hortus Third?

I have a printing of each, if you'd like me to check them.

o

Hi Nan! LTNS!!!

I'm sure that Cena would have checked them - I'm almost positive that the SDCSS has these in their extensive library, but I'm not sure that C's had the opportunity to check them at a monthly meeting.

o

Hi there! LTNS Back! ()
How did you end up 'up there'?!

I figured that Cena would have checked them....just making sure and offering to lend a helping hand.

Be good, now;)

Cena...please do post here should you find the ID.
It's a very intriguing plant!

o

I know this is an old question but, although I am no peperomia expert, I think this is pereskiifolia. See link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Peperomia_pereskiifolia.jpg

o

I saw a picture of the plant you have on some... Organ garden show and plant sale webpage. Apparently it's a newish species in cultivation and isn't named, according to them?

o

Really nice plant! It's Peperomia kimnachii from Bolivia. Named after Myron Kimnach who was a director of the Huntington Botanical Garden. Here's a description of the plant...Peperomia kimnachii description.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here