Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bedebeep

what are these things growing at the base of my prayer plant

bedebeep
9 years ago

They look like small mushrooms? will they hurt my plant? should I pull them out? please help! thank you

Comments (8)

• bedebeep
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here's a view zoomed out so you can see how small they are...

• plantastic
    9 years ago

Yes fungi of some kind. The spores were in the growing medium. you can pull them out.

• paul_
    9 years ago

Won't matter if you pull them out or not. The fungus' mycelia (the actual main body of the fungus) are most likely throughout the media. (Mushrooms are just the fruiting/reproductive bodies of the fungus.) Most fungi are harmless. Most likely there is decaying matter in the media that the fungus is feeding upon.

• bedebeep
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I got rid of them. They detached very easily. Flimsy little things. The soil in that pot came with the plant, which I got about a month ago at Home Depot. It's quite dense, and I've been meaning to replace it with a better draining potting mix that I use with my other plants. I will definitely stop putting it off and do that this weekend.

• Photo Synthesis
    9 years ago

I'm fairly certain that this fungi is pretty harmless. Not all fungi are bad. In fact, most are beneficial. The rainforests would not be as healthy as they are (not counting mankind's systematic destruction of it) if it weren't for fungi breaking down decaying organic matter and recycling it back into the soil for other plants to use. Many trees will form symbiotic relationships with fungi via their roots, benefitting both in the process. Another great example, is how orchids' seeds can only germinate in the wild if only they come into contact with a specific fungus. For the longest time, people couldn't get orchid seeds to germinate. That is, until someone discovered the symbiotic relationship between orchids and fungi. After that discovery, orchid breeding exploded all over the world, giving us literally hundreds of thousands of hybrids. Not to mention, driving the prices of orchids down significantly. Making it possible for anyone that wants to, to grow their own.

That's what these fungi are doing in your soil, just breaking down the compost, or other decaying organic matter, into usable nutrients. I would just let them be (if any more mushrooms pop up). If it's not broke, don't fix it. Your plant seems to be very healthy.

A few years ago, I hung up a Topsy Turvy strawberry planter (Which I absolutely love using). Well I guess the soil/compost mix I had used had caused quite a few of these same mushrooms to sprout from just about every opening. I just left them alone and my strawberries did just fine. I wasn't too concerned, because I was letting the strawberry plants get established and just pinched off any flower buds for the first year anyways. The mushrooms eventually went away on their own, and my plants grew a bunch of strawberries over the next couple of years. :)

• bedebeep
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Huh. thanks for the explanation, Tommy. I haven't done anything yet, so will consider holding off...

• Photo Synthesis
    9 years ago

Back a few years ago, I bought this stuff from Lowe's. It adds beneficial fungi and bacteria to your soil. I used it for all of my plants when I repotted them. I can't remember what it was called, or I'd tell you. I used it all up and I've actually been meaning to go back and buy some more of it. I do remember that it was sold alongside all of their fertilizers and such. All of my plants seem to be doing great and I've gotten several new ones that I wanna repot, but I've been holding off on them until I can go get some more of that stuff to add to the soil.

• bedebeep
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is it Plant-tone? I added it to all my houseplants a couple weeks ago, although this is the only one that grew the fungi.