Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirby369

stromanthe triostar - how do i fix it?!

kirby369
16 years ago

i have a stromanthe triostar but dont know how to fix it! many of the leaves are brown and seem to be dying, and i looked at the soil and it has a white sort of moss on it! i ahve no idea with plants and thus dont know how to fix this or what to buy!

can anyone please give me an idea!? i got it as a housewarming pressie as i live in a unit and i dont want it to die!

thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

Comments (6)

• kirby369
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for your help and your hints!
    hopefully i can keep it alive!

• odyssey3
    16 years ago

I keep mine potbound and use a plastic pot which I put inside a ceramic cache pot. The plastic pot fits tightly in the ceramic cache pot, and this increases humidity. The sides of the plastic pot always feel "sweaty." The bottom leaves frequently brown, so I just trim them at the base. I'd repot yours into new, fresh soil, trying to shake off as much of the old soil as possible.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Is Stromanthe triostar the same as Stromanthe sanguinea?
    I'm one of 'those' who believe misting/showering helps humidity loving plants.
    I allow soil to dry somewhat between waterings. Humid air is essential growing Stromanthes. Hot, stale air can cause brown leaves.
    They don't require a lot of fertilizer, none in winter. Once a month w/a foliage plant food is fine. I reduce dossage. Fish Emuslion is good, too.
    Stromanthe, and their relatives, maranta, calathea, are all beautiful...the only problems growing them is lack of humidity, for those of us who reside in non-humid areas. Toni
    A pebble tray will help w/humidity, too.

• slickrick2003
    11 years ago

Hello there it's true that a pebble tray will help with the humidity and specially if you repot it and cut back on the dry foliage one you repot it and try and use a all natural potting soil it will help if you live in zone 7 witch is here in NY, I have three my self and had the same problem and did everything I just shared with and it's working for me I also bought a humidifier for them and there doing great. Good luck and hope this works for you I also grow Calathea Rosepicta witch are in there family. P. S good luck

• slickrick2003
    11 years ago

Hello there it's true that a pebble tray will help with the humidity and specially if you repot it and cut back on the dry foliage one you repot it and try and use a all natural potting soil it will help if you live in zone 7 witch is here in NY, I have three my self and had the same problem and did everything I just shared with and it's working for me I also bought a humidifier for them and there doing great. Good luck and hope this works for you I also grow Calathea Rosepicta witch are in there family. P. S good luck

{{gwi:88253}}

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County