Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wild4bean

easy plant to grow indoors?

wild4bean
11 years ago

I just thought I would throw this out there to see what everyones thoughts would be. I don't have the best green thumb but I try. I have a tea rose begonia that I have kept alive and happy for 2 years and I would like to try a couple more plants to see if I can have the same good results. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comments (5)

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

I think most plants are easy to grow if you know their needs beforehand and can realistically provide for those needs.

I can't grow palms or vining philodendron because I realized long ago they need more time than I want to give.

But I can grow the heck out of African violets, streptocarpus, chirita, rhizo begonias and small spathyllum....the first four many say are hard to grow...because all do well when reservoir watered.

I'm lazy and certain plants would suffer for it and I know my limits.

Oh, I do grow holiday cactus real well and self-heading philos and rhipsalis and sans. But forget anything else.

Linda

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I think u should give yourself a little more credit. That Begonia probably wouldn't be on anyone's list of "top 10 easiest plants to grow" and you're doing it well. There's no reason you shouldn't expect other plants to do equally well. If you like it, buy it. Whatever it is, there's probably lots of people here who can give you specific advice for that plant if you have any questions. If you're hesitant, see what you like out there and ask here for recommended care to see if it's a plant you think you could do well with before spending your money.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Wild4. I agree with both Linda and Purple. Providing a plants' needs-- next, you under-estimate yourself. Begonias are NOT the 'top 10 easiest plants to grow.'

To narrow down an answer, is there any specific type you're looking for. Qualities? In other words, a plant that's tall,small, hanging, flowers, foliage, colorful, cactus, tropical.

Which directions do your windows face, and how close to the windows are you willing to set plants?

Hey Linda. Chirita's huh? I just got Aike..May need your help if you have time.

Howdy Purpe, Toni

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

Wild:

I am so sorry, I got so involved in what I grow/can't grow I forgot you add kudos to you for growing a begonia well. As Purple said, they are not easy. If you do well with them you can grow about anything.

Happy Growing!

Linda

• wild4bean
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for all of the kind words. I really love having plants in the house and with the help of some wonderful people, I feel I can accomplish it!! My aloe plant is another story but I'm trying and that's all I can do!! I always have loved African violets so I might pick one up this week and see how it goes. Thanks for all of the help and encouragement. If I have any other questions, I will be sure and ask the experts!!!