Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are some interesting plants for a dark room ?

Posted by Arehbella none (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 23:19

The only light source is a skylight and a window that is pretty far away, so it's cave like with a hole in the ceiling. So far in this room, I just have spikemoss and a lemon balm plant which I head grows larger leaves in a shadier area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are some interesting plants for a dark room ?

That's tough! I don't know about interesting, but have you thought about Golden pothos, sansevieria, ferns

o

I have been ignoring my peace lily in the basement for all winter. It is still green and alive. It can be happy in a low light situation.

o

Possibly Chinese Evergreen and the ZZ plant.

o

I find Ficus benjamina is quite happy in low light, even the variegated ones. I suppose you know about aspidistras, which seem to prefer low light or their leaves bleach out. My marantas, particularly the green one, are happier in lower light too. They do like some, though, but it can be artificial, which I presume you are able to provide. I'll have a think and see if I can come up with more.

It's interesting that lemon balm is happy in your room, I didn't even consider that it would do well indoors at all.

o

As a rule of thumb, even the lowest light plants require 8+ hours per day of natural light that is bright enough for you to read newsprint without eye strain. If the light is less than that, then it is only a matter of time before any plant gradually deteriorates.

If you have about that much light then you might try a Dracaena 'Janet Craig' or a Dracaena 'Lisa'. They are closely related and have deep green, naturally glossy leaves. Aglaonemas and Peace Lilies are also good choices. I don't recommend Ficus.

~Will

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here