Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amber_m_gw

pictures of my plants

amber_m
11 years ago

figured id share some pics of my plants, just got a great deal of them today as a mothers day present... feel free to share pics of your own plants! the more the merrier!!!

hawaiian spider plant:

{{gwi:88341}}

Source: Uploaded by user via Amber on Pinterest

bonnie spider in a nice vase with a hanger i hand made...

{{gwi:88342}}

another nicer bonnie inside...

{{gwi:88343}}

hindu rope hoya...

{{gwi:88344}}

what the greenhouse called a strawberry and cream hoya?

{{gwi:88345}}

what the greenhouse called a lemon and cream hoya?

{{gwi:88346}}

varrigated hindu rope hoya...

{{gwi:88347}}

hawaiian spider...

{{gwi:88348}}

everything hanging...

{{gwi:88349}}

christmas cactus...

{{gwi:88350}}

a little bit better pic of the strawberry and cream hoya...

{{gwi:88351}}

looking forward to seeing some of your pics!!!

Comments (37)

• Lamora
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looking good! I will try to get some of mine in the morning. This is a great idea! looking forward to seeing some pics here.. :)

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

They are all beautiful. I love the hangers, very elegant.

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

im just starting out, have a lot of learning and collecting to do, and looking forward to it! i love plants and myslef, my husband and my two kids just moved into our very own house in december so now i can work on building my plant collection. looking forward to all the possibilities

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Nice looking bunch of plants. The strawberry & cream one is especially pretty! I love the macramé holders you've made. They were ubiquitous when I was a kid and seeing them reminds me of my early days of falling in love with plants. I also love your screened porch. How peaceful - and mosquito free!

Here's what my Mom & daughter gave me for Mother's day. I think it was all Mom but she let DD take a little credit.
    {{gwi:88353}}
    Sorry it's blurry.

Here's my front porch 5 minutes ago:
    West end:
    {{gwi:88355}}

Steps (south:)
    {{gwi:88356}}
    The stepping stones you see in the yard were "discovered" last summer, my 5th in this house. Until it got so dry, they were so completely covered with grass that nobody knew they were there. Totally OT, but interesting to me, it was my first drought LOL!

East end:
    It seems so big when the plants are inside for the winter, and in the summer I wish it was bigger! My Mom & I both want that table in the neighbor's yard...
    {{gwi:88358}}

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

amber m- your plants are cute, I really love the variegated hindu rope, I want one really bad and can't find it anywhere.

purpleinopp- I love your porch, I wish I had one for my plants.

Here are 'some' of my houseplants, the first two are my Mother's day gift:

orange clivia-
    {{gwi:88359}}

Oncidium 'Twinkle' orchid-
    {{gwi:88360}}

and here a few groups of my plants-
    {{gwi:88361}}

{{gwi:88362}}

{{gwi:88363}}

{{gwi:88364}}

{{gwi:88365}}

and here is my small group of orchids I've begun collecting very recently-

{{gwi:88366}}

-FlowerPotTipper

• jessiec777
    11 years ago

Nice plants Amber! I think your strawberry cream might be a hoya carnosa rubra, kind of hard to tell with the pictures though :-)I bought my mom one for mother's day and it looks similar. Do your Thanksgiving and Easter cacti do well together? I have two Easter cacti that have different colored blooms I thought about planting together. I also like your plant hangers! I made one but due to the stretchiness of the yarn, it hung down too low! lol Seeing yours makes me want to try again :-)

Purple I love the set up you have one your porch! I don't have much room to hang, but if I did....lol

Flower your plants look very happy. All cozy by the window! What kind of hoyas are those hanging? I see the hindu rope and maybe Chelsea....not sure about the others :-)

I'll have to post pictures later...I've got to get going to class. Thank goodness it's only an hour long :-)

• goddess9
    11 years ago

FPT, my windowsills are starting to look like yours, lol.

• Moosetrackz
    11 years ago

All your plants are beautiful! I hope my rope hoya is that big someday Flowerpot!

Amber, Your plants look lovely and those pot hangers are wonderful. That bonnie spider in a vase will be a bit of a problem for you though I think. Does it have drainage? Also the narrower top part will make repotting that plant impossible when the roots grow into the vase. I had that same problem with a spider plant I grew from a baby in a narrow necked pot. If you let it grow in that you'll have to brake the vase to get it out and they grow fast so it will probably only be a few months before that happens. Or the spider plants roots might just brake the vase themselves if they grow too large. Spider plant roots are very strong.

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

the vase does not have drainage so i water it very sparingly, ill admit i wasnt really thinking too far ahead about how it will turn out when it needs to be transplanted, i just thought it looked so darn pretty. not about the cacti, i just potted them together so im not sure how it will turn out, my grandma made me a bunch of starts from cuttings off her plants and due to lack of space and the fact that they are different colors i thought it would be cool to plant them together, i guess we will have to wait and see how it turns out.

• jessiec777
    11 years ago

Alright here are my plant babies :-)

Thanksgiving cactus, euphorbia lactea crest (finally starting to grow), and Sansevieria trifasciata 'Laurentii

{{gwi:88367}}

crassula obliqua tricolor, aloe crosby's prolific, gollum jade ET fingers), gasteraloe "white wings", Pleiospilos nelii (split rock plant), and in the very front are some easter cactus starts

{{gwi:88368}}

portulacaria afra 'Variegata', and portulacaria afra

{{gwi:88370}}

Hoya carnosa

{{gwi:88371}}

On the top are my easter cactus and tradescantia zebrina and the rest are the plants already pictured

{{gwi:88372}}

Ponytail palm and a couple jade starts

{{gwi:88373}}

zz plant (don't mind the mess around it lol) that lives on top of my fridge

{{gwi:85683}}

A jade I chopped a month or so ago...finally getting new growth :-)

{{gwi:88376}}

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

JessieC777-

Yes, that is an all-green hindu rope and a Chelsea, I forgot the name of the one on the very left, it has very cute tiny red flowers, it didn't have a tag, and the other one is just a Rubra. I also have another smaller all-green hindu rope on that window sill on the far right and a Tri-color and a lacunosa not pictured. It's my small hoya collection that I'm slowly collecting.

I love ALL kinds of plants, succulents, hoyas, orchids, everything and anything that I find interesting. I have two other window sills filled like that one in that pictured I showed. I took all those pics this morning and it was too sunny to get a picture of them.

Amber M-

I forgot to ask, but did you do those plant macrame yourself?? That one with the vase is awesome (actually they're all beautiful), it would be perfect for cuttings. I bought some macrame supplies a few months ago but havent used it yet (my dad's GF also gave me some macrame books from the 70's that I wanted to learn). I think it adds a finishing touch on plants that are hanging. I'm gonna have to try and find the pattern to that vase one.

Moosetrackz-

Thank you for calling my plants beautiful, I try really hard to keep them happy, but alot of the help comes from here at Gardenweb.
    -FlowerPotTipper

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

actually those hangers are not macreme but crocheted, my grandmother taught me how to crochet when i was a little girl and i still do it all the time. i made all the hangers myself, and its just a pattern that i thought of as i was going, i hate following patterns, i always end up doing my own thing. im thinking about making a bunch of them to stock pile and offer as trades for clippings and such since i dont really have any plants to offer yet. do you think thats a good idea?

• goddess9
    11 years ago

Amber, absolutely. I don't think trades have to be plant for plant. :)

I would certainly love one!

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Amber,
    Thanks for sharing pictures of your plants, you have a very nice plant collection started!

I believe your lemon & cream hoya is Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Princess' (a little too dark to tell for sure, but just to give you a name). Also, I believe the strawberry and cream hoya you have (it was correctly identified it in an earlier post as Hoya carnosa 'Rubra') is Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Queen' ('Rubra' is an interchangeable name for 'Krimson Queen,' they are the same plant, it just goes by more than one name).

I am not a mother, other than to my four-legged, hairy child, so I cannot share any pictures unfortunately (not to mention, most of my plants are in separate places on our patio so it'd be hard to take one collective photo). Nonetheless, I enjoy seeing everyone's gifts for Mother's Day!

Planto

• christine1950
    11 years ago

Amber you have started a great collection, your screened in porch will probably be filled up in no time.
    All of you have some great plants, I love looking at what everyone has. I noticed a sweet potato vine in one of the pictures, I had the same one in a pot and then I noticed this morning that the slugs had a nice meal on it last night :>(
    Christine

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Christine,
    Oh no!! :^( Can you get another one to grow?

Planto

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

i also have a strawberries and creme wax plant. did you buy it off of amazon it might he hoya carnosa krimson queen and i never seen such spider plant. i own variegatum, vittatum and the plain green

• Moosetrackz
    11 years ago

Here are a few pictures of my tiny back patio. My bf says if I get anymore plants I won't be able to walk back there lol.
    {{gwi:88377}}

{{gwi:88378}}

{{gwi:88379}}

{{gwi:88380}}

{{gwi:88381}}

{{gwi:88382}}

{{gwi:88383}}

{{gwi:64497}}

11 years ago

Am enjoying watching this thread & love everyone's plants!

moose, what are the "x" plants in the 2nd picture down? Really unusual!

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yes i bought it off amazon from hirts gardens, now which spider plant are you talking about? the curly bonnie one or the hawaiian one? both of them i also bought off of amazon from hirts gardens...

• Moosetrackz
    11 years ago

Thanks purple. :)
    The green with white stripes is Crassula perforata variegata. Im not sure what the other ones called but its a crassula too. You can't really tell from the picture but the shorter one green on top and purple/burgundy underneath. Theyre both very neat looking, Im hoping to grow them to cascade over the basket theyre hanging in.

Heres some more pics for you.
    {{gwi:88384}}

{{gwi:88385}}

{{gwi:88386}}

11 years ago

Really striking plants! I can't stop looking at them. Thanks for the info.

• jessiec777
    11 years ago

Moose...your plants looks so happy! I love your string of pearls, wandering jew and of course the crassulas :-) Also I really like the look of the variegated ficus...not sure I have ever seen one before. Is that a desert rose by the ficus? Your citrus is cool too...what is it? My boyfriend makes the same comments and I don't have near as many and all of your lovelies, although I wish I did. We live in a pretty small apartment though

• Moosetrackz
    11 years ago

Thank you Jessie! :)

Yep thats a desert rose alright. After a horrible pruning I gave it. It looks much better now though.
    {{gwi:88387}}

My string of pearls was my pride and joy before mealybugs got to it. This is what it looked like last summer.
    {{gwi:88388}}
    I still love it thoguh and its coming back strong after the death of about 70% of it from mealys.

That citrus is a kumquat. I also have a variegated pink lemon tree. Thats a pic of the lemon tree.
    {{gwi:88389}}

The super lame thing about having so many plants in my tiny backyard is that I don't have a garden hose or an attachment for one in my yard so I have to hand water all my plants with a watering can. HUGE pain in the butt when it gets up in the 90s around here lol.

• elkay_gw
    11 years ago

I didn't get any plants for Mother's Day, but here are some I've had for a while. It's time to start putting them outside for the summer.

{{gwi:88390}}

{{gwi:88391}}

{{gwi:88392}}

{{gwi:88393}}

{{gwi:88394}}

Some of the larger ones are still inside for now....
    {{gwi:71759}}

And I just wanted to show a pic of my Kohleria Jardin De Monet flower....
    {{gwi:88395}}

• Lamora
    11 years ago

I am so jealous of you all! I would love to get my plants looking like ANY of these! I will need to download pics of the ones i have and show you what I mean... lol.

Collection is so much smaller than yours-- yes-- jealous is what I am-- :P

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

I love knowing I'm not the only one with a home filled with house plants. My kids love teasing me and calling me the crazy plant lady, but I always remind them that it could be much worse, I could be collecting stray cats LOL. Everyone has beautiful plants. Thank you for sharing everyone !!

-FlowerPotTipper

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

@Elkay: I'm packing my bags to come live with you... I only wish I could have that many plants.

@Flower: Haha, crazy cat lady.

Planto

• christine1950
    11 years ago

I am in awe over all these beautiful plants, what a great topic you started Amber!!!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Everyone's plants are doing gorgeous!

A few of my greens..pots aren't as decorative as you guys have plants in...oh well. :)

New Variegated Philo I recently found.

{{gwi:88396}}

Either Crinium or Mini Amaryllis bulbs that were tossed in my Epiphyllum back in the 90's.

{{gwi:88397}}

Variegated Ginger, purchased, mid-90's while I worked in plant store.

{{gwi:88399}}

Begonia luxurians & bonus Hoya. Been looking for this Begonia about 2-yrs

{{gwi:88401}}

Orchid purchased at TCterrarium, 2009

{{gwi:88403}}

Epi flowers that has changed from this

{{gwi:88404}}

To this

{{gwi:88405}}

Last, dish garden started from various succulents.

{{gwi:83775}}

Sorry for all the pics...Gotta love spring, Toni

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i am LOVING looking at all of your pics everyone! these are starting to make me want more, haha... my husband for now has put a ban on any more plants... party pooper...

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Amber...We women have come a LONG way...don't give in.

Does your husband have hobbies? If so, ask if he'd like you saying no more, '?' putting a ban on his hobby.

Women have the upper-hand anyway. We can say NO, too. lol. Toni

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

he doesent have that many hobbies, besides being a cd and record collector, which i am too so i cant really tell him no more of those... he does also like to collect old punk rock magazines but again thats something i like too... he doesent like stuff if he cant get instant satisfaction from it, such as plants, i have hoyas and he could care less because they dont have any flowers yet, also i LOVE spider plants but he hates them because he says they arent pretty and colorful... i had the same deal a few years ago when i had a veggie garden, he loved the veggies out of it but he didnt help once out there, it was MY job and MY garden and he whined and complained the whole spring and summer until there was finally veggies... also im a stay at home mom and he works full time, so when it comes to money hes the bread winner....

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

My kids always tell me no more (they're 10 and 12 years old), but I tell them if I can't buy my plants, then I can't buy them anymore video games or whatever it is that they want, so that quickly changes their mind. Plus, I pay the bills, I keep clothes on their backs and food in the kitchen, that stuff ALWAYS comes first, then whatever money I have left over, if any, goes to my hobby.I deserve something, I think everyone deserves a hobby that they love and makes them happy. Plus they say houseplants are known to calm stress and let people live longer lives...whether it's true or not, It's my excuse and I'm not changing it LOL.

Hopefulauthor-

I love seeing your plants, you always have the most beautiful plants and wonderful collection.

-FlowerPotTipper

• jessiec777
    11 years ago

Everyone has such good taste in plants :-)

I got a new one the other day so I thought I'd show it off :-) It has one flower getting ready to bloom (pink) and another on the other side that is slowly making it's way. Frithia Pulchra or purple baby toes

{{gwi:88407}}

• snappyguy
    11 years ago

Here are a few of mine that I took photos of today:

{{gwi:88096}}
    Acalypha pendula

{{gwi:88409}}
    Episcia 'Moonlight Valley'

{{gwi:88410}}
    Nematanthus 'Black Gold'

{{gwi:88411}}
    Streptocarpus saxorum (belongs to subgenus Streptocarpella)

{{gwi:88412}}
    NOID Streptocarpus hybrid

{{gwi:88413}}
    Episcia 'Suomi'

Although you could probably guess I'm a gesneriad lover by the fact that 5 of the 6 photos above are gesneriads, I absolutely love the Acalypha pendula for its' unusual blooms.

Mark

• randy_e
    11 years ago

Beautiful plants people. I just getting back into collecting variegated plants after a 6 year absence. Trying my best not to go frick'n overboard on the hobby...
    Randy

Here is a link that might be useful: Randy and Sherms Plants

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional