Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riptidefrog

Huge, Wide leaves on a....Spider plant?

riptidefrog
16 years ago

In january i received a container of spider plants from a friend that passed them along to me after getting them from another friend. These plants all came in a used yogurt container in plain water. They were all green in color and all had similar foilage except for one.

This one was also solid green but the leaves seemed very glossy and a bit more fleshy......almost more wet. Like they contained more water. These leaves were the same width and the same thickness and length (about) as the other plants.

I planted all the others together and some are now putting off little spiders of their own that my cat is systematically chomping once they reach a certain length and thus his attention. But the one with the glossy leaves i planted alone and it has really taken off.

I am trying to attach some pictures so you can see it. It is much larger than the other spider plants that i have and the leaves are very wide, the newer ones are wider than my lime draceana. The newer leaves have developed varigation (sp) with green remaining on the edges and white patterning in the "vee" of the leaf in a way i am unfamiliar seeing in spider plants.

It hasnt pupped yet so i am wondering if this is even a spider plant at all. Considering the size of the leaves i'd think it might actually be a dracaena if i didnt know better. These leaves arent tough like a dracaena though and i think they would damage easily.

I am holding up a quarter right on the leaf in the photo so you can gauge the size.

Is this really a spider plant? If not does anybody have any idea what it could be?

I was unable to get the pictures to download on this site so i posted it elsewhere. The link should be below

Here is a link that might be useful: other forum

Comments (9)

• nanw_4wi
    16 years ago

The 'Hawaiian Spider Plant' looks very much like yours (I have one myself).

The variegation on the mother plant fades over time, while still putting out variegated 'babies'....then the variegation on the 'babies' fades, but returns when transplanted.

I recently transplanted a 'baby' that was green, and it has grown into a nice sized plant that looks almost identical to yours. One of the leaves is 1-3/4" wide at one point.

I agree with you that although there are simlarities in this plant and some dracaenas (Rikki, in particular..I have one of those, too) that the Dracaena leaves are much more rigid, and though it may be easily mistaken for D. Rikki in a photo, it's easy to tell the difference with the plant in front of you.

The variations make this a really interesting plant!

Unfortunately, I don't think it has yet been given a 'proper' botanical name to date....but I didn't research to find out.
    You'll find lots of information if you do a google search for 'Hawaiian Spider Plant'.

• susancarol
    16 years ago

Yep, the Hawaiian Spider is a lovely one!!

Susan

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Where are Hawaiian Spiders sold? Thanks, Toni

• GrowHappy
    16 years ago

Toni, I got my first one from Tracey. Then earlier this year I found a large HB at my local nursery. When she starts making babies, I'll send you one if you want. Here's mine:
    {{gwi:88427}}

GH

• riptidefrog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW, your spider plant looks great! I hope mine looks like that one day. Thanks for the ID, i was wondering what else it could be and coming up blank.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

GH, it is beautiful..perhaps one day when your spider produces babies, I'll be glad to take one off your hands..LOL..of course I'll pay postage, but you know that already..Thanks, Toni

• naturelover_mtl
    16 years ago

Gorgeous. My mother has had one of these spider plants for years. The thing grows into a monster all the time and then she hacks it down to a more manageable size! YIKES! Anyhow, a few weeks ago I took two babies off the momma plant and they're growing as I write. I have a few different spider plants hanging throughout the house. Beautiful plants and easy to grow!

• susancarol
    16 years ago

I think all the spiders are easy plants but this one is super easy and quickly grows into a giant.

Susan

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

Very strange that my story is so similar to Riptidefrog!

I bought two green spider plants and gave one of them to my mom. Couple months later, they look totally different from each other. Hers looks traditional, although it stayed mostly green. Mine is a much more vibrant green colour, the leaves are shiner, and the leaves are very wide.

So from what I understand, I might have a Hawaiian spider plant or bechetii wheat...if it is bechetii wheat I won't be getting runners...

What do you guys think? Hard to see but the centers of the leaves are turning a creamy lime colour.