Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scale treatments

Posted by gour none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 0:10

What is the best way to rid your plants of scale? I've been scraping them off and spraying my plants with a rubbing alcohol solution but they always seem to come back. It's on a few of my aloes and my orange tree. Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scale treatments

Scale is not the easiest pest to get rid of. Try scraping off as much as you can, and rub the scale you see with alcohol on a Q-tip. You can also buy pesticide tablets to stick into the soil. Worth a try... personally I toss pesty plants out in the bush behind the house.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 20:40

Scale in the crawler stage responds to topical treatments of various insecticides and rubbing alcohol, but the adults are protected by their shell. The least noxious effective treatment is a light horticultural oil, sometimes referred to as summer oil, perfect oil, or all season horticultural oil. The fastest and surest remedy is a systemic insecticide that is proven effective on scale. One of those is Bayer 3-in-1 Insect Disease and Mite Control. It is approved for use on houseplants, but should not be sprayed indoors. Read & follow directions carefully if you use it - as we should with any insecticidal remedy we use in/on our plantings.

Al

o

• Posted by gour none (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 23:37

Thank you for the very good information. Will the Bayer 3-1 spray be ok to use on an orange tree you think?

o

• Posted by gour none (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 23:38

Thank you for the very good information. Will the Bayer 3-1 spray be ok to use on an orange tree you think?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 16:08

It will work well, but do not use it if you intend to eat the fruit. The label advises it's not to be used on plants for food.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here