Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why won't my Peace Lily Flower?

Posted by diana55 z8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 07 at 0:33

I have a Peace Lily and it doesn't grow any flowers. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? It gets lots of light, water when it's dry, and I do fertilize it, every now and then.Thank You!!! Diana55

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why won't my Peace Lily Flower?

Is it a young plant or mature plant? What light exposure are you giving it- East, West, South, North? How many inches is it away from the light source? Is it potbound or does it still have a ways to go before the roots fill the pot?

GH

o

Growhappy asked some good questions!

I noticed you said you (water when it's dry) Make sure the soil stays a little bit on the moist side at all times. They don't like to dry out, or stay too wet.Water the soil thoroughly when the top inch or two of soil starts to feel close to dry, but not dried out.

Billy Rae

o

I agree w/GH and Billy Rae. I've notice that PL's that were a bit rootbound will bloom faster.
What type of fertilizer are you using? Toni

o

1st they really don't like fertilizer all that well. also is it pot bound? they often won't bloom until pot bound. also do keep slightly damp, but not soggy.

this will keep your plant happiest & will bloom soon.

lil.

o

Best to let it get ALMOST dry before watering - if it wilts, that was too dry, but don't keep it soggy or the roots will rot (been there, done that).

I find that a normal dose of MiracleGro or Osmocote will lead to nice blooms within 3 to 6 weeks. They do bloom better when potbound.

o

Diana, aside from a PL being rootbound, (to a degree) I notice when I let soil really dry out a few wks, then give a heary watering, flower buds form..
I'm not telling you to deprive watering, but this is what works for me..Toni

o

Toni has a good point, and I've seen the same with spaths. Many tropical plants will respond to a mild drought stress by blooming.

o

I have had a peach lily for 10 years now, it was my moms, and in all that time I have only ever had 1 bloom, what am I doing wrong.

o

Hi
Though i grow PL in pots none are on the house They are located in dappled light fern bed or in the shadehouse .I use two methods one enriched soil second in sand in standing water in a shady marsh garden, They invaribly flower in spring though have noted that a temp drop will often spur flowers. Don't know if that would help you or not ??
Since I use them as garden plants they experience down to frost over the year . Seems to me they flower more heavily from this, short of a hard freeze. that is fatal.
lol gary

o

Have a peace lily which never flowered for five years up in my kitchen which had proper light, proper water etc. and thrived just fine otherwise. I decided to put it in the lower level of the house which has the same amount of light, but we keep that level much cooler as it is not the living area. It has flowered many times since the move and now has a new flower forming as we move into the cold winter temps. I'm thinking it likes a colder temperature than we humans do, as garyfla suggests

o

I grow a bunch of them in water with a nutrient solution and they're almost always in flower.

o

Hi
Don't know if it's good for them ,in my case that's what ma nature dishes out lol. Usually flowering in Feb
but alway seasonal.
Have often wondered when you go to nurseries they are always in flower they know something?? lol gary

o

Nursery plants are often treated with gibberellic acid or something similar to force flower them.

I've read somewhere, but can't find and verify the info that it can take a long time for some plants to recover from it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spathiphyllum care

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here