Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about China Doll

Posted by roksee 10b SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 0:51

Hello, I have had this China Doll for about 1 year. Somehow it doesn't seem as healthy as it did...
Can anyone give me their opinion ? I always keep it inside.
thanks
roksee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about China Doll

It looks great to me. But if you don't think it's as perky as it used to be, the soil may be degrading into tiny particles after a year, in conjunction with roots filling the pot. Even little trees make extensive root systems. Do you think it may be time to repot? Is excess water able to escape from the pot when you water (to avoid a build-up of tap water chemicals and fertilizer?) If it's just looking kind of dull, it might like to go out in the rain, in the shade, to get the dust off, though I don't say this to imply that I see any dust. Most plants look fantastic after a little shower, and the soil gets flushed with rain water in the process.

It also looks like there may be a multitude of tiny individuals? How many? If so, the bigger ones might bully the little ones, so to speak, blocking the light and pushing them out of the way. When repotting, they can be separated if you want. If you like this bushy appearance, I would probably leave them, though might spread them out in the pot a bit more, occasionally chopping off the top of the tallest one, for a constant flush of low, new growth - bushy. The other plants would hide the cut(s) when made, only you would know this is going on.

o
RE: question about China Doll

• Posted by roksee 10b SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 12:29

thank you ! It is only one plant.. and it has grown, I don't know ... I keep thinking it doesn't get enough sun.. the tag said to put it in the sunniest place in the house. But here in Ca that also means the hottest. I will check out the soil more carefully, I have a feeling your right on track about that.
roksee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here